Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXVII: Viva la St.Louis! [Mod Warning post #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Actually that is the point. Cally hanst done good this year, He does get injured alot which i understand because he blocks shots and works hard He does score once in a while but again he wants almost 7 million per year and he hasnt shown he has the ability to command that much. This isnt about "tearing down" a guy this is about being fair, signign cally to a huge deal is not a smart move

I agree with the last statement and thats about it.

I think the critiquing is childish and disrespectful for a guy that was a very important of the Rangers for a long time.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
It is pure speculation but I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that buffalo trades for Cally. A team full of potential alone is rarely a recipe for success.

Trading a cheap 2nd/3rd liner plus a pick and possibly more isn't a terrible cost if you can lock him down before he hits the market. Its going to be impossible to entice most free agents your way if a slightly competitive team is close to you in dollars. Trading might be the only way to bring in leadership.

Maybe buffalo is confident they can grab Callahan or some one for free in July but I don't agree with dismissing a buffalo trade as a possibility.

It is a pipe dream. It makes no sense whatsoever. So you'll trade off Miller and Ott, then trade for Callahan? IF you can lock him up? They traded Vanek, Ott, Miller, will trade Moulson and possibly Ehrhoff… I would bet my left *** that it hasn't even been remotely discussed. Show me a comparable trade to this.

… also, why would Callahan sign with Buffalo? They suck, and he'd probably get more via UFA. The only chance he'd sign an extension there would be bc they offered something crazy like 7.5 or 8 million, and if they're that crazy then they might as well wait to do it in free agency. Callahan likes to win -- I don't see him going to a bottom feeder and giving them a discount bc he grew up nearby.

This makes no sense - I can't think of one comparable trade…

Last edited:

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012

I think the critiquing is childish and disrespectful for a guy that was a very important of the Rangers for a long time.
Again NOBODY is bashing callahan. Fans are being extremely fair. Look i can tell you are a huge callahan fan and so am i. But can you honestly say eh is worth what he is seeking?

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
Hopefully Cally is gone tonight.

When I saw Klein with Staal I was hoping Stralman was yanked for a trade.

I really hope we can get Vatanen on the Rangers.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Again NOBODY is bashing callahan. Fans are being extremely fair. Look i can tell you are a huge callahan fan and so am i. But can you honestly say eh is worth what he is seeking?

Im not even a huge Callahan fan.

I am a huge Ranger fan that find its pretty disgusting when cheapshots get taken at a guy who has given his all for the jersey.

Contract demands are out of whack - shake hands, move on. Dont let a petty analysis of a couple months be the narrative over 7 years of pride.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

I am a huge Ranger fan that find its pretty disgusting when cheapshots get taken at a guy who has given his all for the jersey.

Contract demands are out of whack - shake hands, move on. Dont let a petty analysis of a couple months be the narrative over 7 years of pride.

Pretty much, the asking price justifies him setting sail. There is no reason to cut down his contributions to the team to make it look like a better idea to move him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

You know? The guy is in the right to ask for ridiculous amounts of money and the fans are in the right to call him out on it. It's not a one way street.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

I disagree completely and I am one of the more positive posters on here. From a business stand point you have to evaluate production and cost. And for Callahan, he is not just going above what we are offering (which is more than his production/cost) but above what any reasonable offer for him should be. He is a great guy and I would love him here long term (if the price is right) but to ink him for sentimental value to appease the face of the fan base and handcuff your franchise from acquiring more high level talent is just ... not smart hockey.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You know? The guy is in the right to ask for ridiculous amounts of money and the fans are in the right to call him out on it. It's not a one way street.

Hes probably going to get that money elsewhere. Hes shown no ill will towards the organization.

So what, exactly, are you "calling him out" on?

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY

He is not, and I am also a big Callahan fan.

assuming he wants between 6.5-7.5 Million AAV per year,

His cap hit would be more then: Pat Kane 6.3, Toews 6.3 , Zetterberg 6,083,333

He would also be in the same cap hit range as: Erik Karlsson, Patrice Bergeron, Marleau, Kopitar, Thornton, Chara, Both Sedins, Datsyuk, and Stamkos.

Now if that much of the Cap is gonna be taken up I will rather have anyone that I mentioned on that list

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I disagree completely and I am one of the more positive posters on here. From a business stand point you have to evaluate production and cost. And for Callahan, he is not just going above what we are offering (which is more than his production/cost) but above what any reasonable offer for him should be. He is a great guy and I would love him here long term (if the price is right) but to ink him for sentimental value to appease the face of the fan base and handcuff your franchise from acquiring more high level talent is just ... not smart hockey.
Exactly. Callahan is a nice guy and has heart BUT you cant give him 6.5 million per year for heart/being nice :laugh:

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

So you're saying we should pay him because he's been a loyal player? :huh:

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Exactly. Callahan is a nice guy and has heart BUT you cant give him 6.5 million per year for heart/being nice :laugh:

Yep. Listen if there was no Salary Cap ... heck give him whatever you can afford because he does bring a lot to the table in terms of hard work ethic, grit, heart, and passion ... but you can't lock up your resources in that and expect to get goal scoring cheaply.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hes probably going to get that money elsewhere. Hes shown no ill will towards the organization.

So what, exactly, are you "calling him out" on?

Just the fact that it's comical how much he's asking for when his play hasn't warranted it a bit. It's all of the factors of him playing poorly and asking for ridiculous amounts of money. If you asked for a ridiculous raise from your boss but have been slacking off for a while, you don't think your boss would be annoyed by that?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Just the fact that it's comical how much he's asking for when his play hasn't warranted it a bit. It's all of the factors of him playing poorly and asking for ridiculous amounts of money. If you asked for a ridiculous raise from your boss but have been slacking off for a while, you don't think your boss would be annoyed by that?

A good boss would say "Thanks for your contributions, I hope you find what demands you're looking for."

Not be a bratty ******* about it.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I think Edmonton or Buffalo is his destination next year if we don't do something stupid.

I also don't know why those teams would talk to us unless they think a better team will pick him up and resign him in the deadline. If I'm Callahan, I'd kind of resent an organization that took me away from playoff hockey.

Edmonton would be a good spot for Callahan, other than the cold weather. They need another D or 2 but If they could sign him and retain Hall/RNH/Perron and one of Yakupov/Eberle they could turn it around pretty quickly. With all the connections between EDM and NYR I'm surprised they haven't been talked about more as a trade destination for Callahan.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Why are we all labeled as 'bad mouthing Cally' when we are just trying to be objective in building our team? If this was Baseball and there was no cap ... like I said give him a lot because he does have a value ... just not one that can be justified with a salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad