Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXVII: Viva la St.Louis! [Mod Warning post #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I hope that 4th line puts an end to all the proponents of trading Boyle and having Dorsett and Carcillo together. The 4th line dynamic changed from a great forechecking and defensively responsible unit to a boneheaded collection of guys that could barely control the puck long enough to play off each other.

Trade Dorsett for a pick. Keep Boyle Moore and Carcillo. Enough.

Not the only reason they lost but the worst reason. There was absolutely no reason for AV to tinker with the 4th line. I just pray that Moore is back tomorrow, I don't care how tough Boston is. Seriously, I can't believe the 4th line played such a role in this loss.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, where was Callahan this game? Out counting his millions already. That guy even at 6 million per 6 years is a joke. He's not even that useful of a player anymore.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Im 99% sure cally is a goner and thats fine by me. I mean i like his toughness and PK but he doesnt have the offense to command 6.5-7 million per year that he wants

I'm at this point as well ... Love the guy ... Love his toughness, his attitude, his heart ... but at the end of the day to give him 6.5/7M a year for his production is beyond insane.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
It is pure speculation but I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that buffalo trades for Cally. A team full of potential alone is rarely a recipe for success.

Trading a cheap 2nd/3rd liner plus a pick and possibly more isn't a terrible cost if you can lock him down before he hits the market. Its going to be impossible to entice most free agents your way if a slightly competitive team is close to you in dollars. Trading might be the only way to bring in leadership.

Maybe buffalo is confident they can grab Callahan or some one for free in July but I don't agree with dismissing a buffalo trade as a possibility.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Didn't get to watch, as long as Callahan didn't get hurt I consider it a win.

I did look at the box score, we had less blocked shots, less hits more PIM's... Heck, they even had more giveaways and still won....

Cally 0 0 0 -1

Not even a penalty against a divisional foe, well, like I said, at least he didn't hurt himself.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Callahan had his one good game against Colorado and is now coasting. Mediocre 3rd liner now. Had like 3 point blank chances on the PP and of course couldn't score.

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
This game could be a blessing in that it's yet another game where there is no consistency from Richards line.

With zucc healthy we have two legit lines but I can't remember the last line that thrived offensively with cally on it and it's hurting hagelins game as well IMO.

We need to make some moves the evidence is there Boyle and dorsett can go as well if they can be part of fourth line upgrade.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Callahan had his one good game against Colorado and is now coasting. Mediocre 3rd liner now. Had like 3 point blank chances on the PP and of course couldn't score.

Is he coasting, or is he generating scoring chances? More garbled mumbo jumbo from you

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY

Seriously, he is simply not near as noticeable as he used to be a few years ago.
People hold him in high regard and I definitely loved Cally as a player his first few years here, but honestly it looks like the guy has checked out of NY already, or his effectiveness in game has regressed tremendously.... or both

He is NOT worth 6 million dollars, I can't believe he was even offered that much...

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
As said towards the end of the last thread, Callahan shows up for one game a month. He is not worth anything even CLOSE to what he wants; done with him...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Is he coasting, or is he generating scoring chances? More garbled mumbo jumbo from you

He's coasting most of the game, had 2 or 3 chances on one PP and couldn't score. Those things aren't mutually exclusive. Outside of a couple of chances on a PP he didn't do ****. 6 years for 6 mill, the guy is a mediocre 3rd liner now. When he's getting his chances on the PP, what was always the reason he scored as much as he did he still can't score for ****.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
To be fair snow is right. I like cally toughness and PK but he doesnt ave the offensive ability to command so much money. If the Rangers bent over for callahan they would regret it

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
IMO, Callahan is easily in the bottom half of players in terms of importance on this team, probably even bottom half forwards. Seriously, in the top 9 I'd say he's not clearly better this year than 1 player. Maybe Pouliot and Hagelin. That's it. He's been one of our worst players all season.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I still have a feeling Callahan gets re-signed for a reasonable amount. A team that could really use Callahan is Edmonton. They have tons of talent but Callahan could set an example there and maybe influence some of their other players to pay more attention to the defensive side of the game.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
It is pure speculation but I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that buffalo trades for Cally. A team full of potential alone is rarely a recipe for success.

Trading a cheap 2nd/3rd liner plus a pick and possibly more isn't a terrible cost if you can lock him down before he hits the market. Its going to be impossible to entice most free agents your way if a slightly competitive team is close to you in dollars. Trading might be the only way to bring in leadership.

Maybe buffalo is confident they can grab Callahan or some one for free in July but I don't agree with dismissing a buffalo trade as a possibility.

He would be the perfect guy for all the youth they will draft. Especially if they see how hard he works, his effort, his heart ... could be a good thing.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Like I said early in the thread, I can't remember the last time "Captain Cally" has come up big for us, been a hero, got us fired up or did anything that reminds me of the Cally from a few years earlier that actually earned our adoration. He's already living off of a reputation and reverence that he earned a couple of years back. If that's the case this year, I can't imagine giving him 6x6 and being happy with it.

His role is inevitably going to diminish as kids like Fast and Miller arrive full time; it's already begun to diminish this year, as has his performance. Looking back in retrospect, people love to say the writing was on the wall for Redden before we ever signed him and the smart fans knew he was going to decline. This situation is no different. It's simply not a smart move to keep Cally with his demands right now, no matter how sentimental we all feel about him. He can likely be replaced from within by a cheap, cost controlled kid whose still hungry like Miller or Fast, and if he can't, I have to imagine he can be replaced by a cheaper player found elsewhere and his money can be better spent to improve this team. I just can't stomach signing Cally to the kind of deal rumored; the writing feels like it's just as much on the wall here as it ever has been with regards to knowing we'll regret it before we even do it.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Looking at the roster if Cally goes and we get prospects/picks in return, Ritchie gets bought out, and we resign most of our RFAs/UFAs, we'd be looking at

Kreider - Step - Nash
Pouliot - Brass - Zuccs
Hagelin - Miller - ? (Fast?)
Moore - Boyle - Dorsett

McD - Girardi
Staal - Stralman
Moore - Klein

Lundqvist
Talbot

with about 10-12 million in cap space.

I'd like to get rid of Dorsett. What about a guy like Patrick Eaves or a Steve Bernier for the 4th line RW slot? The problem with Eaves is his injuries, but he's pretty good on the PK.

Do we need both Moore and Boyle? Would it be better to try to flip one of them for a pick or prospect?

If we are buying out Ritchie, I think center is a concern. Lindberg has looked pretty good in the A, but I don't think he's coming up yet. I don't know if taking a run at Stastny is the best idea, but Step has seemed to be lacking lately, and that is, of course, a concern. Pouliot and Brass have been playing better, but are they good enough to make up 2/3 of the 2nd line?

This deadline is going to be really interesting, and we'll have a lot going on in the summer.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
To be fair snow is right. I like cally toughness and PK but he doesnt ave the offensive ability to command so much money. If the Rangers bent over for callahan they would regret it

Thats not the point.

The point is that the decision should be made on Callahan by any Rangers fan by now.

This game by game critique and tearing down the guy is just mindless garbage.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I still have a feeling Callahan gets re-signed for a reasonable amount. A team that could really use Callahan is Edmonton. They have tons of talent but Callahan could set an example there and maybe influence some of their other players to pay more attention to the defensive side of the game.

I think Edmonton or Buffalo is his destination next year if we don't do something stupid.

I also don't know why those teams would talk to us unless they think a better team will pick him up and resign him in the deadline. If I'm Callahan, I'd kind of resent an organization that took me away from playoff hockey.

BarbaraAlphanse

Our second line really needs another goal scorer. You can't have both Cally and hagelin there. Just can't do it.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Thats not the point.

The point is that the decision should be made on Callahan by any Rangers fan by now.

This game by game critique and tearing down the guy is just mindless garbage.
Actually that is the point. Cally hanst done good this year, He does get injured alot which i understand because he blocks shots and works hard He does score once in a while but again he wants almost 7 million per year and he hasnt shown he has the ability to command that much. This isnt about "tearing down" a guy this is about being fair, signign cally to a huge deal is not a smart move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille