Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2018 Edition Part I: Countdown to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
1) I'm not a huge fan of a rental McDonagh, and surely not at that price. I'd also rather trade Brown/Hyman than Kapanen. Ranger fans will hate it but on the Leafs end, I'm just not high enough on McDonagh. We also need to retain cost-controlled young guys moving forward.

I'd consider that trade for OEL with substitutes. I feel the Leafs brass are going to try being players in the open market and I fully expect them making a inquiry on Tavares, Thornton, and perhaps Backlund. I don't think they are looking to sell young assets anytime soon.

2) NYI deal I'd do. Not sure how palatable Martin's contract is for them though.

3) Red Wings deal is alright. Glendenning isn't all that great, he's not overwhelmingly an upgrade over Moore, could very well end up being lateral. People are too obsessed with the novelty of a trade when they talk about Glendenning.

4) That's horrific for the Sharks

1) The Idea is that McDonagh would be here for the long haul. It’d require 4 good pieces. Leivo is merely a toss in as a way to put the offer over the top. We’d have him at 2.3M for the next season and a half.

Kapanen and Dermott are big pieces to give, I praise both of them to no end. However Ryan McDonagh is an established top pairing defender on the right side of 30.

Perhaps 2 draft picks is a bit much, I’d probably make it a 3rd that gets better as the Leafs progress in the playoffs.

And alas, I’d rather make an “fantasy offer” that is less in the Leafs favour than in the other teams favour, for the same reasons when I project cap hits, I tend to estimate on the high end.

If there’s a deal without giving up Kapanen, or giving up Dermott, great! I’m all for it.

2) The Isles organization loves Martin. This offer is actually one I’ve seen on the main board from Isles fans.

3) Glendening is a bit of an upgrade on Moore, but more importantly, he’s a guy Babcock loves. He solidifies the 4C spot without the need of giving up picks. Babcock seemed to sour on Gauthier in his most recent stint, and Rosen gets sent somewhere he gets actual NHL time.

4) Don’t think so. If the Leafs were selling Komarov could probably return a 2nd and good prospect, if not a late first on his own. Polak does have some weird value to NHL execs for some reason. Add in the fact the Leafs would need to wait 1.5 years before even using the pick on a player, and it works out.

It very well could end up being a 2nd and another 2nd/3rd or something, but the same sort of deal

(And I should mention, the Sharks is the team I decided to use, but it could be any western playoff team)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
:leafs
Ryan McDonagh

:rangers
Auston Matthews
Mitch Marner
Morgan Rielly
William Nylander
Frederik Andersen

;)

Although that would be selling the future to get worse right now so...

Nothing like a good tank

If this group is going to be in there primes in 2-3 years time we can't gut the prospect pool right now

The last thing we need is to not be able to put cost controlled talent around those boys at that time

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
1) The Idea is that McDonagh would be here for the long haul. It’d require 4 good pieces. Leivo is merely a toss in as a way to put the offer over the top. We’d have him at 2.3M for the next season and a half.

Kapanen and Dermott are big pieces to give, I praise both of them to no end. However Ryan McDonagh is an established top pairing defender on the right side of 30.

Perhaps 2 draft picks is a bit much, I’d probably make it a 3rd that gets better as the Leafs progress in the playoffs.

And alas, I’d rather make an “fantasy offer” that is less in the Leafs favour than in the other teams favour, for the same reasons when I project cap hits, I tend to estimate on the high end.

If there’s a deal without giving up Kapanen, or giving up Dermott, great! I’m all for it.

2) The Isles organization loves Martin. This offer is actually one I’ve seen on the main board from Isles fans.

3) Glendening is a bit of an upgrade on Moore, but more importantly, he’s a guy Babcock loves. He solidifies the 4C spot without the need of giving up picks. Babcock seemed to sour on Gauthier in his most recent stint, and Rosen gets sent somewhere he gets actual NHL time.

4) Don’t think so. If the Leafs were selling Komarov could probably return a 2nd and good prospect, if not a late first on his own. Polak does have some weird value to NHL execs for some reason. Add in the fact the Leafs would need to wait 1.5 years before even using the pick on a player, and it works out.

It very well could end up being a 2nd and another 2nd/3rd or something, but the same sort of deal

(And I should mention, the Sharks is the team I decided to use, but it could be any western playoff team)

1) That's fair. McDonagh has been a legit #1 for a little while now. I'm personally not that high on him today or moving forward. Kapanen + Dermott + 1st +......almost the equivalent of 3 1st rounders, even for an extended McDonagh, it seems like a lot. I'd consider a framework of Liljegren + 1st + any prospect not named Kapanen/Dermott for OEL, but not McDonagh personally. I'm not a huge fan of McDonagh's style of play with this team, we could use an elite, top-pairing play-driver like OEL.....or a lesser, big d-men with a great stick who's plays the passing/shooting lanes well. McDonagh is multi faceted, but none of his dimensions are great outside of his gap control, IMO. Still a massive upgrade but not a price I'd pay.

I'm generally not a fan of market commodities when I perceive their market worth, based on their pedigree, is greater than their actual productivity on the ice.

2) I'd do the Martin deal

3) Glendenning, not terrible, not great. I wouldn't hate it, I wouldn't love it. Personally, I'd rather just keep Moore and call up Aaltonen if that #4C spot is a huge problem, which I personally don't think it has been since Martin's gotten scratched, Komarov's demotion. Downstream, keeping Glendenning means guys like Aaltonen, and Goat (if he ever hits) will stay with the Marlies a little longer.

4) ........I don't know, I'd love that trade if it happened but there's no chance Komarov and Polak return a 1st, especially an expiring, declining Komarov. As for Polak, he stinks, we already swindled the Sharks once with him. Doug Wilson might lose his job if he got swindled on Polak again.

If the Leafs traded our 1st tomorrow for Rick Nash, a far superior player to Komarov, I'd also think it was a stupid, unnecessarily bad deal.

Reactions: Cor

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not even sure the Leafs will trade Leivo at this rate. I really think they want to keep him for depth this year and for next season. Sounds to me like Soshnikov will be traded and that's about it.

I don't even know if there's a center that makes sense to acquire.

Reactions: Cor

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nothing like a good tank

If this group is going to be in there primes in 2-3 years time we can't gut the prospect pool right now

The last thing we need is to not be able to put cost controlled talent around those boys at that time

I totally agree.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not even sure the Leafs will trade Leivo at this rate. I really think they want to keep him for depth this year and for next season. Sounds to me like Soshnikov will be traded and that's about it.

would you trade a 1st for Pageau if you could recoup a pick or two dumping Bozak?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

The question is though does Leivo want out or not?

We do seem to value him because we won't move him but how much longer can this go on before it gets toxic?

Martin would be my go to move option

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

MacT at the Marlies game and then Chiarelli at the Leafs game tonight, you have to wonder if there is something brewing between the Oilers and Leafs.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

MacT at the Marlies game and then Chiarelli at the Leafs game tonight, you have to wonder if there is something brewing between the Oilers and Leafs.

Well Soshnikov isn't playing today so...

Does EDM even have anything we really want that they'll move?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Hopefully. They have pretty checkered trade history under the current management group. It'd be nice to be on the otherside of a Larsson for Hall, Strome for Eberle, or Reinhart for 1st + 2nd trade.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
coach thinks otherwise?

I wouldn't way so. Maybe he's not there full time but he splits 60-40 with Matthews, at least on draws. Wins 50% against tough competition.

I think Babcock would play Nylander at center full time eventually.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Klefbom would be a great buy low candidate, brutal this year but he'd have a ton of talent for Babcock to work with
I agree. I would also love Puljujarvi. He fits our system perfectly, and is a big winner with all the tools that we need.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Klefbom would be a great buy low candidate, brutal this year but he'd have a ton of talent for Babcock to work with

A ton of risk with a 6 year contract though. 4+ mill as well. He's 2nd pairing at best when he's on, so the best you hope for is you get a guy making his money, but you can get for not a lot of assets.

I would say go for it 100% had been a RD.

Should inquire about David Savard in Columbus if you want someone who makes a lot more sense. Also struggling, but shorter term, a bit more money and a perfect fit for a lot of our puck moving LD.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
A ton of risk with a 6 year contract though. 4+ mill as well. He's 2nd pairing at best when he's on, so the best you hope for is you get a guy making his money, but you can get for not a lot of assets.

I would say go for it 100% had been a RD.

Should inquire about David Savard in Columbus if you want someone who makes a lot more sense. Also struggling, but shorter term, a bit more money and a perfect fit for a lot of our puck moving LD.

Klefbom has the type of talent someone like Babcock can mold into a very good mid pair Dman and at that cap hit he'd be a God send cap wise

He showed last year it's all there talent wise but the Oilers have been a tyre fire this year so nobody looks particularly good right now except McDavid

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
With the way the Leafs are playing I'd be happy if our only moves were selling off Sosh and Leivo for picks.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Klefbom has the type of talent someone like Babcock can mold into a very good mid pair Dman and at that cap hit he'd be a God send cap wise

He showed last year it's all there talent wise but the Oilers have been a tyre fire this year so nobody looks particularly good right now except McDavid

What about Dermott though? Can't expect him to play off side for a while at the NHL level. I do think you could see him in the top 4 on his LD side by the time Gardiner is gone though.

Borgman too. Could see him in the NHL as soon as next year as well.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Hopefully. They have pretty checkered trade history under the current management group. It'd be nice to be on the otherside of a Larsson for Hall, Strome for Eberle, or Reinhart for 1st + 2nd trade.
Jesus H Christmas tree. I know Chia pet is terrible, but when you put those three in a row I’m just so thankful we have who we have at the top, and not the clowns we are used to seeing in charge. #feelsgoodman

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
With the way the Leafs are playing I'd be happy if our only moves were selling off Sosh and Leivo for picks.

As I said in the other thread though: How much of this success is due to the UFA's though? Bozak has done very little to help our success. JvR too if you discount PP, which can survive without him. Komarov is a good PKer but we have others. Polak can be replaced.

If we are doing well without them and they are worth a lot, why keep them?

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Leafs need to upgrade bozak either at the TDL or when he walks. I dont think Nylander to C is a good move. He needs to stay on the top line with AM. If you move nylandervthen you are looking for a top line winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad