Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2018 Edition Part I: Countdown to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Long overdue for a new thread, and good timing with the All-Star Break here. Once we're past this weekend the trade market will start heating up and we should start seeing some deals getting made.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
NHL trade rumors: Who's next? Eight players who could be dealt this season

NHL trade rumors: Who's next? Eight players who could be dealt this season

ryan-nugent-hopkins-110917-getty-ftrjpg_1hijotbvm3psbzv9podkc4al0.jpg
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, F, Oilers
The Oilers have a host of needs with few chips to bargain with. Nugent-Hopkins' name is one that seems to surface in rumors most often. The 2011 No. 1 overall pick hasn't been the star Edmonton hoped he would become, but he's a solid two-way center who could benefit from a change of scenery. And with Connor McDavid's $12.5 millions cap hit kicking in next season, general manager Peter Chiarelli needs to decide where Nugent-Hopkins and his contract fit into the Oilers' future, either this season or over the summer.

RNH could be a good player to target, Peter Chiarelli has made some questionable trades and we may be able to get a deal done without giving up a core player and not hurting our chances in a playoff run?

NotNotALeafsFan

Oct 11, 2013
Toronto
The more I read the trade forum, the more frustrated I get haha. If the price for a top 4 RHD is anything like the trade forum suggests, I hope we stay away. Our team is so young and we have so many prospects that may (or may not) turn into something, I hope we wait & see what we have before trading a piece like Marner or Nylander. We're learning that this team still has its flaws and I doubt those flaws will be fixed by bringing in 1 good dman.
Like a lot of Leafs fans, I would be open to packaging prospects not named Dermott or Liljegren.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Nuge would be a solid Bozak replacement but his cap hit kinda stinks.

6 million per season is what JVR will be looking for in a new contract and supposedly the cap is supposed to increase 4 plus mill next year?

RNH is a very good center and is over shadowed by McDavid and Draisaitl, I think we can cobble a deal that would give us a great #2 young center (24) for a long time

Reactions: cookie

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The more I read the trade forum, the more frustrated I get haha. If the price for a top 4 RHD is anything like the trade forum suggests, I hope we stay away. Our team is so young and we have so many prospects that may (or may not) turn into something, I hope we wait & see what we have before trading a piece like Marner or Nylander. We're learning that this team still has its flaws and I doubt those flaws will be fixed by bringing in 1 good dman.
Like a lot of Leafs fans, I would be open to packaging prospects not named Dermott or Liljegren.

There are some people that set their expectations very high instead of what logic and comparibles dictate. And that's fine. That's their prerogative.

The only way that you're trading an impact forward like Marner or Nylander would be for the equivalent on the back end. And how many teams around the league would be comfortable with that? Ask the Bruins how anxious they are to get rid of Charlie McAvoy or the Jackets with Zach Werenski.

As for Liljegren and Dermott, it would have to be a lateral move as well. If you see either of those in the top 4 in the near future or at least in the top 6 making an impact, it would have to be tough to move them in a package that only gets you a player for a year or 2. That being said, I would move either of those 2 in a package for a guy like Ekman Larsson with the guarantee that he signs a contract.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
6 million per season is what JVR will be looking for in a new contract and supposedly the cap is supposed to increase 4 plus mill next year?

RNH is a very good center and is over shadowed by McDavid and Draisaitl, I think we can cobble a deal that would give us a great #2 young center (24) for a long time

I agree with you that RNH is a good centre, but would you rather use the same pieces it would take to try and acquire him to get a defenceman or a cheaper 2 way centre?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

If Leafs trade a Nylander or Marner it better be a #1 defender under contract coming back.

I'd be okay including prospects named whatever depending on the return. You wouldn't take Seth Jones for Dermott? :sarcasm:

Leafs should only look at upgrading if it is a thorough upgrade if they're spending top assets on the acquisition. A maybe he's better than Carrick player isn't really worth wasting good assets on. That just gets you into the cycle of trying to find something better than your depth players, and those guys can be had in the summer for cash only.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Really don't see a need to make a trade on defense once Rielly and Zaitsev are back we have a good top 4 pairing and a reasonably competent 3rd pairing, unless it's an even deal for players not being here next year.

Rielly/Hainsey
Gardiner/Zaitsev
Dermott/Carrick
Borgman/Polak

I think the biggest need is a good #2 center because JVR and Bozak are likely gone but on D, Liljegren and Valiev could make the jump to the Leafs next year.

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I agree with you that RNH is a good centre, but would you rather use the same pieces it would take to try and acquire him to get a defenceman or a cheaper 2 way centre?

RNH at 24 would be a great addition and be a player to build a 2nd line behind the Matthews #1 line

Reactions: carko32

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Don't want RNH. Dont want anything from that team that's not a complete steal.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Are you part of the group that thinks they move Nylander to centre or part of the group that thinks he remains on the wing?

No! Nylander and Matthews are a dynamic duo and with JVR, Levio and a 1st as the start of a trade but I could see.

Johnsson/Matthews/Nylander
Hyman/RNH/Kapanen
Marleau/Kadri/Marner
Komarov/Bozak/Brown
Martin

Last edited:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Babcock believes Nylander is a C. Good enough for me.

I guess that's the most important group to be a part of. lol

So if the 3 centres for the forseeable future are going to be Matthews, Nylander & Kadri, I don't see RNH as a fit.

I think that the last game vs. the Stars was the best game that I've seen Nylander play in a long time. Had a lot of compete, looked to be skating very well & looked dangerous when he had the puck. If we can get that for 60 games, I'd take that.

If that would hold true and the Leafs keep Matthews as the #1 & Nylander as the #2, then the next element would be finding players to play alongside both of them.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Lou.
do something.
significant.

Only if it makes sense Daisy

I wouldn't be against sitting on our hands and running

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick

That's not a bad defensive unit with plenty of developing young guys with upside

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Fine tuning on the back end would be nice, but for the first time in a long time, I really don't see the need to be too active. The only deals that will make a REAL impact on the team moving forward are offseason deals.

Maybe Komarov at the deadline if the value is there, but this is a playoff team that doesn't need a big shake-up.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think we need a center or even a forward pre-deadline. The depth coming up is more than fine with me. This off-season, look for an alternative to Bozak.

The Leafs will very likely talk to Tavares, like they did with Stamkos, if he makes it to free agency. Not sure if they can make it work but if they were willing to go after Stamkos long-term, no reason to believe they can't do the same with Tavares. If they can go under 11M over 7 years for him, I think the Leafs will try hard to sign him.

It would not surprise me if Thornton is courted again by the Leafs on a 1 year deal. It was pretty close last off-season. He suffered a huge knee injury though so perhaps Thornton hangs them up.

Just imagining center depth of Matthews, Tavares and Kadri makes me melt.

Last edited:

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I disagree, the Leafs need a better 3C. Bozak is and has always been inconsistant, and slowing down. If and that' s a big if, the NYR are selling the Leafs should look at acuiring players like Hayes or Miller with Nash for a playoff push. I would even look at Nelson or Bailey from NYI. Bailey is in a contract year and playing hot so don' know what the cost would be, but Nelson needs a scenery change and a proven 20 goal scorer and a big presence in front of the net. Leafs need to deal Bozak and JVR they are fading and a non factor 5vs5, JVR is just a PP net player nowadays. Leafs could get excellent assets for him. JMO

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Only if it makes sense Daisy

I wouldn't be against sitting on our hands and running

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick

That's not a bad defensive unit with plenty of developing young guys with upside

but that's boooorrrrrinnnng :laugh:

no seriously, that's a given, if it makes sense, i don't want a move for doing a move. but i'm not really fond of Jake (or Carrick) - yes i know what they can do, young bleh bleh, but i think we could get some 'younger/older' (they fit in the age range, but they've got more milage on them experience wise). that would make me happy.

it would also be nice if we got like another Hainsey if we did keep jake. Jake needs a Hainsey.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
No! Nylander and Matthews are a dynamic duo and with JVR, Levio and a 1st as the start of a trade but I could see.

Johnsson/Matthews/Nylander
Hyman/RNH/Kapanen
Marleau/Kadri/Marner
Komarov/Bozak/Brown
Martin

I don't think the Oilers would massively downgrade at 2C for a pending UFA, late first and a wildcard in Leivo, Drai might not even be at C longterm so this makes even less sense for them. Plus, with Kadri and most likely Nylander it wouldn't be smart to spend assets on another C.

Lastly regarding the Nylander/Matthews combo, I think once we see Matthews get more experience he'll be able to carry a line with 2 grinders/support players kind of like what Crosby has done and then Nylander and Marner can drive 3 separate lines making a matchup nightmare for other teams.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Any interest in signing Lars Eller for 3c next year?
Good defensively, shouldn't be too expensive?
Nylander can stay with Matthews?
Brown - Eller - Johnsson 3rd line?

Reactions: rumman

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
but that's boooorrrrrinnnng :laugh:

no seriously, that's a given, if it makes sense, i don't want a move for doing a move. but i'm not really fond of Jake (or Carrick) - yes i know what they can do, young bleh bleh, but i think we could get some 'younger/older' (they fit in the age range, but they've got more milage on them experience wise). that would make me happy.

it would also be nice if we got like another Hainsey if we did keep jake. Jake needs a Hainsey.

Hainsey was seriously under the radar, I know from my own perspective that I wasn't expecting this level of play so maybe there is someone that could do something similar at a reasonable acquisition cost

I wouldn't bet on it though

Gardiner and Carrick can look good in there roles if there paired with the right partner, with the emergence of Dermott and putting Rielly back with Zaitsev we can do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->