Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2018 Edition Part I: Countdown to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just realized;

Craig MacTavish at Marlies game yesterday.
Lamoriello and Babcock at Marlies game yesterday.
Shanahan, Lamoriello, Dubas and Prindham watching practice from the stands this morning.
Peter Chiarelli at Leafs game tonight.

Didn't end up happening. I believe it was @SprDaVE that posted an image of MacTavish a while ago with a bunch of check marks or something next to Johnsson's name. I don't really want to move Johnsson for anything Edmonton is realistically moving.

Hopefully they changed the discussion over to a different player. I also don't see the Maroon fit. I still think the simplification of this would be Soshnikov for a 5th-7th

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Didn't end up happening. I believe it was @SprDaVE that posted an image of MacTavish a while ago with a bunch of check marks or something next to Johnsson's name. I don't really want to move Johnsson for anything Edmonton is realistically moving.

Hopefully they changed the discussion over to a different player. I also don't see the Maroon fit. I still think the simplification of this would be Soshnikov for a 5th-7th

Not sure what the Oilers have to offer that would fit our needs pre-deadline. Maroon makes no sense unless JVR leaves and that's not going to happen. The only player that sort of makes sense is Letestu... but he's not exactly what Babcock wants in his 4th liner.

I think this was just the Oilers doing their due diligence and scouting teams potentially buying.

Maybe this summer RNH could be had for a soft deal and the Leafs may knock on the door at that. There was some talks about Klefbom being dangled earlier this season but I doubt that's true.

The Oilers should be all over Soshnikov or Leivo though. Either would be upgrades in their lineup.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not sure what the Oilers have to offer that would fit our needs pre-deadline. Maroon makes no sense unless JVR leaves and that's not going to happen. The only player that sort of makes sense is Letestu... but he's not exactly what Babcock wants in his 4th liner.

I think this was just the Oilers doing their due diligence and scouting teams potentially buying.

Maybe this summer RNH could be had for a soft deal and the Leafs may knock on the door at that. There was some talks about Klefbom being dangled earlier this season but I doubt that's true.

The Oilers should be all over Soshnikov or Leivo though. Either would be upgrades in their lineup. Soshnikov would be a big he

I was going to agree, but if Chiarelli wants to make another overreaction and send Klefbom our way, I'd be fine with Johnsson as part of the deal.

I am okay with Klefbom, I think he could go for the right deal but that being said...his durability is a bit rough and he is strictly a LHD right?

We'd have to move Dermott to his off side? Or do we get fancy and try to trade for handedness?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I am okay with Klefbom, I think he could go for the right deal but that being said...his durability is a bit rough and he is strictly a LHD right?

We'd have to move Dermott to his off side? Or do we get fancy and try to trade for handedness?

Pretty sure Klefbom plays the right, or at least he's capable of it.

Hainsey won't be here forever and you all ready see some regression after a good stretch. Gardiner might be tough to keep as well.

I just like Klefboms contract and he fits in well once we start to lose veterans. He fits the "defense by committee" that McKenzie said the Leafs want in their defensive core.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Hainsey was, and probably still is, playing more minutes than he ever has. Can he keep it up or does he need some help? Help I'd say

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Pretty sure Klefbom plays the right, or at least he's capable of it.

Hainsey won't be here forever and you all ready see some regression after a good stretch. Gardiner might be tough to keep as well.

I just like Klefboms contract and you fit in well once we start to lose veterans. He fits the "defense by committee" that McKenzie said the Leafs want in their defensive core.

I think that Hainsey has looked fatigued since coming back from that virus, we should try to reduce his minutes for sure.

2/3 of Leivo/Johnsson/Soshnikov (cheap wing depth for the Oilers)
Pickard

both 2nds? Not sure if it's enough.

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Klefbom
Borgman-Hainsey

Hainsey's contract expires and insert Liljegren the following year?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think that Hainsey has looked fatigued since coming back from that virus, we should try to reduce his minutes for sure.

Pickard

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Klefbom
Borgman-Hainsey

I would imagine Carrick/Borgman, Johnsson and a 1st is the absolute starting point. It doesn't feel like nearly enough though.

and you forgot Zaitsev in your lineup.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I would imagine Carrick/Borgman, Johnsson and a 1st is the absolute starting point. It doesn't feel like nearly enough though.
Yeah. That's why I hope that Chiarelli overreacts to Klefbom having a horrible season and gives him up for something like that, or less even. You never know with him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

and you forgot Zaitsev in your lineup.

Yeah. That's why I hope that Chiarelli overreacts to Klefbom having a horrible season and gives him up for something like that, or less even. You never know with him.

I think that I would be okay with Carrick, Johnsson, and a 1st for Kelfbom. If you're going to give up assets, might as well be for good players that are age appropriate and have term.

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Klefbom
Hainsey-Zaitsev
Borgman

Reduces Hainsey's minutes. Might be asking a lot of Dermott but I have been SUPER impressed with him since he joined the team.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I wouldn't trade for Klefbom, we have too many of his type. Not needed. Happy with grooming Dermott with those minutes. If we are going to pickup a future's dman it has to be McDonaugh. I would go all in. Him paired with Reilly would be great.

Reilly-McDonaugh
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott- Hainsey

Now that is a D.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Pickard

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Klefbom
Borgman-Hainsey

Perhaps there is some way to make it work.

McDavid's contract kicks in next season.

Carrick, Leivo, Soshnikov you might be able to get for the same cap hit as Klefbom. Yes, Oilers are giving up the best player but they're going to need some cheap bodies.

Leafs add a pick(s).

Oilers at 48 contracts, Leafs at 50.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Quality d-men? Not really.

As for McDonagh, he's better. He's also more of a LD than Klefbom, four years older, and otherwise very similar in how they play.

I would put Zaitsev, Gardiner, and Dermott at the same level as Klefbom!!! Reilly would be better then him. Don't get me wrong, Klefbom is an upgrade on Polak and possibly better then Hainsey. But is he the dman that you want to trade assets for? I just wouldn't, I would rather trade for McDonaugh that has another year left after this year and would slide in perfectly next to Reilly.

Our 1st this year will be a late rounder. Toss in a third and a couple of mid-tier prospects. And get it done.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Carrick, Leivo, Soshnikov you might be able to get for the same cap hit as Klefbom. Yes, Oilers are giving up the best player but they're going to need some cheap bodies.

Leafs add a pick(s).

1st is definitely in there or both 2nds, depending what they want more. Okay with including Carrick, i'd be okay with both Soshnikov and Leivo OR Johnsson as apart of the deal.

I would put Zaitsev, Gardiner, and Dermott at the same level as Klefbom!!! Reilly would be better then him. Don't get me wrong, Klefbom is an upgrade on Polak and possibly better then Hainsey. But is he the dman that you want to trade assets for? I just wouldn't, I would rather trade for McDonaugh that has another year left after this year and would slide in perfectly next to Reilly.

Our 1st this year will be a late rounder. Toss in a third and a couple of mid-tier prospects. And get it done.

LOL. McDonagh will go for a lot, too much even. Rielly and McDonagh wouldn't play together, both LHD. You okay with a 1st, Liljegren and Kapanen for McDonagh? That'll be the ask or something close to it.

Oilers are having cap problems and are going to have to give up a good player to fix their cap headaches.

I put Klefbom on the same level as Gardiner and Dermott, slightly better then Zaitsev. Think the East might be more agreeable for him, less physical.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Leafs add a pick(s).

Imagine giving up Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, then a few years later giving up Oscar Klefbom for depth.

Ouch...

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

So basically, you ignore that Klefbom was a highly successful top pairing d-man prior to this year? OK then.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Leafs add a pick(s).

Interesting. Leafs pick would likely need to be a high one though

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Can you link me to that? I’m interested in seeing it

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Imagine giving up Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, then a few years later giving up Oscar Klefbom for depth.

Ouch...

Would rather help out the Oilers and take RNH back in any deal. That is their strength not their D. I would take no D from the Oilers they have been tarnished in that system.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
1st is definitely in there or both 2nds, depending what they want more. Okay with including Carrick, i'd be okay with both Soshnikov and Leivo OR Johnsson as apart of the deal.

LOL. McDonagh will go for a lot, too much even. Rielly and McDonagh wouldn't play together, both LHD. You okay with a 1st, Liljegren and Kapanen for McDonagh? That'll be the ask or something close to it.

Oilers are having cap problems and are going to have to give up a good player to fix their cap headaches.

I put Klefbom on the same level as Gardiner and Dermott, slightly better then Zaitsev. Think the East might be more agreeable for him, less physical.

I will take RNH to help Oilers headaches with cap. Lets do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad