Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2018 Edition Part I: Countdown to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I had not been to a Marlies game since Kadri was the top centre. I had a blast, and the quality was better than expected.

Not surprisingly, the standouts were familiar faces like Borgman and Soshnikov. Liljegren was great on the attack. Holl and Valiev were solid on the back end.

The biggest surprise to me was Colin Greening. He had a great game, scoring a couple of goals and was strong on the puck. He could be a better option than Moore on our 4th line.

He could be a better option than Boz on the 3rd line. 15 pts in 30 games last stint as a Leaf and 60% on faceoffs. If I wanted to replace or at least back up the 3-4 C spot Eric Fehr as well.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Sell one or two of Leivo, Sosh, Komarov, Carrick, Polak, B prospects, later 2nd round pick.

Buy picks, C prospects on the brink, bottom 4 RHD, or a long term 3C option (Backlund? :naughty:)

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
No thanks to McDonaugh. He looks god awful last time the Leafs plaid the NYR.

It would depend on cost. I'd be weary of McDonagh a bit, he's excellent playing the gaps but I'm not convinced he's not on a slow decline from here on out. He doesn't do anything particularly great (besides his gap control), and can still fit in the modern type of game as he is a solid, but not great, puck mover, but the pedigree on him is higher than his actual productivity IMO.

I like OEL more, both can be nitpicked to death. Just think OEL fits the modern style of game more, he can drive play going the other way a lot better, skates well under pressure, etc.

It would be nice to get a Lindholm, Manson, Pesce type defenseman but those types tend to be rare on the open market, internally developed type guys. I think we could have really used a McNabb type earlier in the off-season. I think management/Babcock sees Polak as being a stopgap type that could fill into that role, but don't realize he's no where close to those guys for many reasons, one being he has a awful stick.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
You have to give a guy credit for throwing that much **** at the wall without it working out but keeps on trying anyway

A fairly respectable hockey journalist (I'm thinking Elliotte Friedman or Pierre LeBrun) once claimed that Eklund did have legitimate sources. However, the difference between Eklund and more mainstream insiders was that Eklund would usually report on anything he heard from a source as opposed to the more mainstream insiders who usually required multiple sources.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It would depend on cost. I'd be weary of McDonagh a bit, he's excellent playing the gaps but I'm not convinced he's not on a slow decline from here on out. He doesn't do anything particularly great (besides his gap control), and can still fit in the modern type of game as he is a solid, but not great, puck mover, but the pedigree on him is higher than his actual productivity IMO.

I like OEL more, both can be nitpicked to death. Just think OEL fits the modern style of game more, he can drive play going the other way a lot better, skates well under pressure, etc.

It would be nice to get a Lindholm, Manson, Pesce type defenseman but those types tend to be rare on the open market, internally developed type guys. I think we could have really used a McNabb type earlier in the off-season. I think management/Babcock sees Polak as being a stopgap type that could fill into that role, but don't realize he's no where close to those guys for many reasons, one being he has a awful stick.

On the other hand, McDonagh's contract ends after next year, so he could be viewed as a short term piece -- perhaps until Liljegren is ready.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Cor's Crazy Trade Deadline;

khBPZGKfQB2DA283BEkrrg.png

New Lines;

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Johnsson-Glendening-Soshnikov
Chimera-Moore

Rielly-McDonagh
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Holl​

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Cor's Trade Deadline;

New Lines;

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Chimera-Moore

Rielly-McDonagh
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Holl​

So trade the future for right now?

You better be sure you can win the cup in the next two years or we're in deep ****

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON

New Lines;

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Chimera-Moore

Rielly-McDonagh
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Holl​
The first trade would be a no go for me.

Reactions: Cor

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

New Lines;

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Chimera-Moore

Rielly-McDonagh
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Holl​

1) I'm not a huge fan of a rental McDonagh, and surely not at that price. I'd also rather trade Brown/Hyman than Kapanen. Ranger fans will hate it but on the Leafs end, I'm just not high enough on McDonagh. We also need to retain cost-controlled young guys moving forward.

I'd consider that trade for OEL with substitutes. I feel the Leafs brass are going to try being players in the open market and I fully expect them making a inquiry on Tavares, Thornton, and perhaps Backlund. I don't think they are looking to sell young assets anytime soon.

2) NYI deal I'd do. Not sure how palatable Martin's contract is for them though.

3) Red Wings deal is alright. Glendenning isn't all that great, he's not overwhelmingly an upgrade over Moore, could very well end up being lateral. People are too obsessed with the novelty of a trade when they talk about Glendenning.

4) That's horrific for the Sharks

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener

New Lines;

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Chimera-Moore

Rielly-McDonagh
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Holl​

You just gutted our cost controlled depth. Huge no.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

New Lines;

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Chimera-Moore

Rielly-McDonagh
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Holl​

I hope you are not serious especially on NYR / Toronto trade

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Cor's Trade Deadline;

New Lines;

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Chimera-Moore

Rielly-McDonagh
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Holl​

I love the last three. Despite unpopular belief, I think those are fair prices. I think people underestimate what Komarov and Polak could get together to the right team. Whether it's SJS or another team, I think they could get a late 1st together. Not a fan of the first one. I am not a fan of McDonagh. I would rather see how Leivo, Kapanen and Dermott turn out. I think Dermott could surpass McDonagh by the time it really matters.

If we do go out and acquire McDonagh, I would ship Gardiner the other way and not add a lot.

Personally, on top of the other two deals:

:vegas
Dominic Moore
Kasimir Kaskisuo

:leafs
TOR 6th round pick 2018

Rational: Vegas could use a Moore and have some extra contract spots, and could use the extra depth. Leafs open up contract spots and get their pick back.

:pens
C Tyler Bozak

RW Carl Hagelin
PIT 1st round pick 2018

Rational: Pens get the 3C they desperately need and get out of a contract they do not want on the books next year for their 1st.

:cbj
James Van Riemsdyk
Connor Carrick

Boone Jenner
Gabriel Carlsson
Conditional CBJ 1st round pick 2020 (JvR resigns or CBJ makes it a certain distance with him).

Rational: Still get some help now but also get a ton of guys who can help in the future. CBJ gets a good player for the playoffs.

:bolts
LD Martin Marincin
RW Nikita Soshnikov

RD Andrej Sustr
TBL 5th round pick 2019

Sustr is far from a guarantee, but he's someone who is worth a shot. Big body, RHD and can skate decently well. He's costing Tampa right now, whereas they could try to get something out of two pretty good players instead.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Jenner-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Glendening-Hagelin
Chimera/Fehr

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Sustr
Borgman

Andersen-McElhinney

Johnsson-Aaltonen-Smith
T. Moore-Mueller-Timashov
Grundstrom-Greening-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Rychel
Dupuy/Clune/Dzierkals

Carlsson-Liljegren
Nielsen-Holl
Valiev-LoVerde
Middleton-Rasanen (ATO's)

Sparks-Pickard

+ potentially 3 1sts, a 4th, a 5th, 2 6ths and 3 contract spots to get some NCAA FA's if there are some good ones.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

New Lines;

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Chimera-Moore

Rielly-McDonagh
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Carrick
Holl​

HARDDDDD pass on deal 1, don't think SJS take that deal.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
1) I'm not a huge fan of a rental McDonagh, and surely not at that price. I'd also rather trade Brown/Hyman than Kapanen. Ranger fans will hate it but on the Leafs end, I'm just not high enough on McDonagh. We also need to retain cost-controlled young guys moving forward.

I'd consider that trade for OEL with substitutes. I feel the Leafs brass are going to try being players in the open market and I fully expect them making a inquiry on Tavares, Thornton, and perhaps Backlund. I don't think they are looking to sell young assets anytime soon.

2) NYI deal I'd do. Not sure how palatable Martin's contract is for them though.

3) Red Wings deal is alright. Glendenning isn't all that great, he's not overwhelmingly an upgrade over Moore, could very well end up being lateral. People are too obsessed with the novelty of a trade when they talk about Glendenning.

4) That's horrific for the Sharks

I wouldn't worry too much about the NYI deal. It's not that far off, and we are taking salary back, so it should make it more palatable for them. They can easily make the other years work.

Glendening is at least someone who is a bit younger and has some skills for the 4C. At the very least he is someone making appropriate money, who I am sure Babcock likes, and can patch up some defensive holes for the Leafs.

As I said before, I do not think that's totally unreasonable. Leafs are not selling Komarov for less than a 2nd and likely a plus, and Polak does possess a good amount of value despite not many Leafs fans liking him. Teams could be interested in him. Now it may be more like the first Polak deal, but that's still a fair deal for everyone IMO.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Seems a tad dramatic :laugh:

Your trading a probable top 4D and our best forward prospect plus our 1st this year

If that's not selling the future for right I'd like to know what your definition of that would be Cor?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Your trading a probable top 4D and our best forward prospect plus our 1st this year

If that's not selling the future for right I'd like to know what your definition of that would be?

Ryan McDonagh

:rangers
Auston Matthews
Mitch Marner
Morgan Rielly
William Nylander
Frederik Andersen

;)

Although that would be selling the future to get worse right now so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad