Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He apparently wants to test the market as he is UFA at seasons end. All the more reason to trade for a player with some term. Gallagher.

I doubt Vegas is going to move any of their top prospects though. The mandate from ownership down is to build for the future.

And Vegas has plenty of winger depth and cap space, why would they want to move prime futures for Gallagher or Pacioretty?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
No argument from me. I still remember when Bergevin a few years back, was pontificating about how a GM needs to move a declining player ahead of his downspiral.

at the very least don't sign him until the summer. Signing him now is awful asset management especially if he knows he's coming back.

Reactions: Runner77

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I doubt Vegas is going to move any of their top prospects though. The mandate from ownership down is to build for the future.

And Vegas has plenty of winger depth and cap space, why would they want to move prime futures for Gallagher or Pacioretty?

Gallagher is just turning 26 in May, so he is young and can be a factor for their team for years to come. He can produce, and he is Gallagher and we know what he brings.

And as far as this year goes, they are a top team. I just don't get why they wouldn't take a swing at it, especially if they are making a trade for a non rental that can help in the future as well.

Reactions: sampollock

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Gallagher is just turning 26 in May, so he is young and can be a factor for their team for years to come. He can produce, and he is Gallagher and we know what he brings.

And as far as this year goes, they are a top team. I just don't get what they wouldn't take a swing at it, especially if they are making a trade for a non rental that can help in the future as well.
one would have to listen on trades for Gally, 26....you have to listen

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

And as far as this year goes, they are a top team. I just don't get why they wouldn't take a swing at it, especially if they are making a trade for a non rental that can help in the future as well.

Because they don't need him now? They already have great scoring depth on the wings and will make the play-offs. They'll likely do what Toronto's likely plan is, just keep their pending UFA's as own-rentals. No reason to buy high in-season.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
one would have to listen on trades for Gally, 26....you have to listen

Rangers have Zibanejed, a top 6C, and two solid C prospects in Andersson and Chytil. Reportedly they wanted Vilardi when the Kings asked about McDo.

Rangers are a team that see the importance of having a pool of top C prospects because they recognize the importance of the position.

We need to do the same.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
I don’t understand how Clague isn’t a blue chip prospect. He has the highest PPG for anyone in the WHL and he’s a defender. JAD is good too. Not sure what else you expect for Max, there’s too many good players available and teams won’t get rid of elite prospects for a winger. For example, why would LA give Vilardi for Max? Vilardi will be the young Kopitar and he’ll probably play in the NHL next season. Why would you give a big cost controlled centre for a winger for a year and a half? It makes no sense.
Neither are can't miss prospects. If we are settling on a package like this just trade himat next years deadline or at the draft to move up to get a top prospect. Points in junior don't always mean you will do it st the next level. Clague was average in the WJHC. Better to go sfter Conor Timmins.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Because they don't need him now? They already have great scoring depth on the wings and will make the play-offs. They'll likely do what Toronto's likely plan is, just keep their pending UFA's as own-rentals. No reason to buy high in-season.

Well clearly I can't say they will have any interest. To me what we are doing is identifying teams that have what we need and may have a need for what we have.

If they want to make a run this year Gallagher could help and he could help for years to come.

If I was MB I would give them a call, that's all.

Last edited:

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Those who are paying attention would know the top 2 scorers in the league are under 6'. (Kooch and Gaudreau)

... not too far behind are Kane, Crosby, Giroux, Panarin, Point, Marchessault.
... and several more at 6'.

Funny that this arbitrary height of 6' is still being used to project success in the NHL, in 2018, with all these 'small' players having so much success.
You do realize the Habs are already a team of smurfs? We need to get size and speed.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Seeing and hearing more and more how much Plekanec wants to stay. I can certainly see it from his perspective, he's comfortably entrenched. But, from the perspective of where the roster is at and where the team is lacking, I'd much rather get as high a draft pick for him as possible. He doesn't bring anything this team needs right now and he's 35. Time to move on.

I disagree. He brings veteran savvy. I think it is somewhat honourable that Plekanec values his career with Montreal. I think that Radulov and Markov valued $$$ more.

He's a pro. Shows up. He would still be effective in a reduced role. Reduced payroll. There is no one in the pipeline to replace him next year. $3 million for the turtle neck, $2 million for Danault and you have your bottom six centres.

Still need a top 6 centre. Drouin can not do it alone. I still keep developing him in the spot. I was really impressed with the pace at which he, Galchenyuk and Sherbak moved the puck against one of the best (defensive) teams in the league.

Add a centre to play between Lehkonen and Gallagher and you have a 2nd line.

If we got Gaborik with Vilardi, I 'd like to see a line of Byron-Plekanec-Gaborik. That would have an interesting look. Plekanec and Gaborik bridge the gap between Poehling-Vilardi.

Danault down on the 4th line with Hudon/Deslauriers and Andrew Shaw, and that's a 4 line team.

I like this Vilardi kid. He has a big league shot. Canadiens have no strong shooting forwards from the right side. He has size, that's the knock on this team. Big hearts, no toughness. Brett Hull wasn't a good skater, he had a decent career.

I don't see St. Louis trading. Central is a d&d division, except maybe Dallas. Nashville is drafting well enough to trade some assets. L.A. can use Pacioretty in the next 2 playoffs to give their veteran core a shot. Taking Gaborik off their books gives the Kings the chance to go after McDonaugh or Jack Johnson. I think we have a deal, just a question of pieces.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I disagree. He brings veteran savvy. I think it is somewhat honourable that Plekanec values his career with Montreal. I think that Radulov and Markov valued $$$ more.

He's a pro. Shows up. He would still be effective in a reduced role. Reduced payroll. There is no one in the pipeline to replace him next year. $3 million for the turtle neck, $2 million for Danault and you have your bottom six centres.

Why am I not surprised.

There is no one to replace what exactly? He's 35, his production has declined and is declining, the league is getting younger and faster. They can land a younger player through other moves, to play 3rd line C. Or put De La Rose over there, as a tampon until someone better is acquired.

"Veteran savvy" hasn't won anything on this team. It hasn't found its way out of a locker room bursting at the seams with leadership, winning attitude and a myriad of other intangibles this GM has prioritized over all else. I don't see how "honour" is more important than what we can get for him nor is whatever it is that Plekanec puts value upon. He's had his time, including underperforming on a bloated contract over the last two years. Sayonara.

Reactions: 417 and nhlfan9191

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You do realize the Habs are already a team of smurfs? We need to get size and speed.

Skill and speed when coupled with size, means you mostly only get that type of player with a very early draft pick. Habs may have a crack at this type of player, at the upcoming draft.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

All of this is true and Plekanec is the kind of player who should be recognized for what he's brought to the Habs one day (and he will) but that shouldn't take precedence over what's better for the team today (or by this deadline).

See this is the problem

The coaching staff doesn't see Plekanec having a reduced role...he's still one of our most used players, only Pacioretty amongst forwards has played more all purpose minutes.

How can you, if you're currently negotiating with Plekanec, how can you justify a what?? 4-4.5M paycut, when by the coaches own use of him suggests he's arguably his most trusted forward?

How can the GM justify that?

If we got Gaborik with Vilardi, I 'd like to see a line of Byron-Plekanec-Gaborik. That would have an interesting look. Plekanec and Gaborik bridge the gap between Poehling-Vilardi.

Danault down on the 4th line with Hudon/Deslauriers and Andrew Shaw, and that's a 4 line team.

5yrs ago, Plekanec and Gaborik would of been fun...

Today...it would be sad

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Why am I not surprised.

There is no one to replace what exactly? He's 35, his production has declined and is declining, the league is getting younger and faster. They can land a younger player through other moves, to play 3rd line C. Or put De La Rose over there, as a tampon until someone better is acquired.

"Veteran savvy" hasn't won anything on this team. It hasn't found its way out of a locker room bursting at the seams with leadership, winning attitude and a myriad of other intangibles this GM has prioritized over all else. I don't see how "honour" is more important than what we can get for him nor is whatever it is that Plekanec puts value upon. He's had his time, including underperforming on a bloated contract over the last two years. Sayonara.

He's definitely over paid, but he has held his own against Matthews, Johansen, Scheifele, and other elite centres this year. He takes a lot of d-zone starts, plays no power play. Production is measured by +/-. Winger production. Drouin and Danault in miscast roles are the reason why the team went in the tank, a captain who has not led by example, and a defense that has only one horse without Weber. Mediocre goaltending as well. I could tolerate him being part of the transition. One more year. He is well respected by his teammates. Appreciated by fans. 1000 games in a Habs uniform is a big deal. Might not see another one, the way the market tears apart anyone and everyone, when times are bad. And those taxes, and French.

Reactions: cphabs

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Too bad for MB and others that teams can't trade cap space for assets.

Still can't believe the Montreal Canadiens started this season with over 7 million dollars in available cap space and never did use it. If I were a fan paying the ridiculous overpriced prices for tickets the Habs charge I would've been really ticked off over this.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's definitely over paid, but he has held his own against Matthews, Johansen, Scheifele, and other elite centres this year. He takes a lot of d-zone starts, plays no power play. Production is measured by +/-. Winger production. Drouin and Danault in miscast roles are the reason why the team went in the tank, a captain who has not led by example, and a defense that has only one horse without Weber. Mediocre goaltending as well. I could tolerate him being part of the transition. One more year. He is well respected by his teammates. Appreciated by fans. 1000 games in a Habs uniform is a big deal. Might not see another one, the way the market tears apart anyone and everyone, when times are bad. And those taxes, and French.

How long do you think he should still be Hab? Are you looking for a ceremony to highlight 1000 games played? Plus/minus is the worst stat possible to measure anything. Of course he's not used on the PP, his stick is where offence goes to die.

This team is poorly constructed as your post indicates and most NHL clubs are built on offence driving their third lines, not a shutdown center like Plekanec. Defence can be taught, offence comes at a premium. If some other team is prepared to pay a decent price for Plekanec, you have to look at the big picture -- this team is not on the cusp of a rapid turnaround. There will be pain and it's will be for more than one season. I don't know what value a Plekanec can bring to a team who is in such dire need of change and especially one that is starved for offence.

It used to be that teams were built from the back end first, goalies, Ds and defensive players. Now, that business model has been inverted. You build from the front, with offensive players first and foremost.

I don't remember anyone saying how the Habs's downfall and main issue in the past 3 seasons, has been not enough defence-only forwards.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Rangers have Zibanejed, a top 6C, and two solid C prospects in Andersson and Chytil. Reportedly they wanted Vilardi when the Kings asked about McDo.

Rangers are a team that see the importance of having a pool of top C prospects because they recognize the importance of the position.

We need to do the same.
We need the same and can continue shifting chairs on the Titanic but until we get the 1-2 center position filled we go nowhere.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
No argument from me. I still remember when Bergevin a few years back, was pontificating about how a GM needs to move a declining player ahead of his downspiral.
Yes, but the tables have changed. Pleky is not ahead of a downspiral. He's not even in his downspiral. It's been so long since Pleky spiraled down that if he and his downspiral were to meet they wouldn't recognize each other.

Reactions: Runner77 and 417

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Too bad for MB and others that teams can't trade cap space for assets.

Still can't believe the Montreal Canadiens started this season with over 7 million dollars in available cap space and never did use it. If I were a fan paying the ridiculous overpriced prices for tickets the Habs charge I would've been really ticked off over this.

I think the plan was to make the play offs and use up that cash at the TDL to give the team a turbo boost.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
How long do you think he should still be Hab? Are you looking for a ceremony to highlight 1000 games played? Plus/minus is the worst stat possible to measure anything. Of course he's not used on the PP, his stick is where offence goes to die.

This team is poorly constructed as your post indicates and most NHL clubs are built on offence driving their third lines, not a shutdown center like Plekanec. Defence can be taught, offence comes at a premium. If some other team is prepared to pay a decent price for Plekanec, you have to look at the big picture -- this team is not on the cusp of a rapid turnaround. There will be pain and it's will be for more than one season. I don't know what value a Plekanec can bring to a team who is in such dire need of change and especially one that is starved for offence.

It used to be that teams were built from the back end first, goalies, Ds and defensive players. Now, that business model has been inverted. You build from the front, with offensive players first and foremost.

I don't remember anyone saying how the Habs's downfall and main issue in the past 3 seasons, has been not enough defence-only forwards.

I mean OEL is almost -50

that means hes bad right

3rd pick + McCarron for OEL

cant take high risks with a def that goes -50 during a season :sarcasm:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

When you break it down, there's a clear and obvious lack of offensive talent...and when you look at what kind of money this team is investing in forwards, you understand why.

Not to mention the lack of money invested this year...

Between capspace and Plekanec...we're in a deficit for about 14-15M$ for 5 goals 15 assists....

At some point, the way the money is distributed is going to have to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad