Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Points, especially in the CHL, don't always tell the whole story...

It's not to diminish Clague as a prospect, but based on what i've seen from him playing against the best in age group (WJC's), I don't think he was a dominant Dman offensively. He certainly looks capable of being a player who can produce offense at the NHL level, but not to the point his numbers in the WHL suggest he could be.

I don't follow the WHL a ton...but isn't Moose Jaw one of the better CHL teams? I know they lead the WHL in GF, they've got a couple of overage players lighting it up and i'm sure this helps Clague's numbers a bit.

I realize that, I’m not the biggest Clague fan either, but it’s an impressive stat nonetheless. He’d still be the one of the Habs top prospects and their top LD prospect (though that’s not saying much).

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
HABS don't need a maybe in a Bennett, they need for sure real young centre, if Bennett flops, then what?
He might be the best we can do. I think Bennett has all the tools to be a C, he was a sure fire center coming out of the OHL. Things haven't worked out in Calgary, but he's a great buy low guy. The question is really if Bennett and a 1st is the best you can do for Pacioretty, do you pull the trigger?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He might be the best we can do. I think Bennett has all the tools to be a C, he was a sure fire center coming out of the OHL. Things haven't worked out in Calgary, but he's a great buy low guy. The question is really if Bennett and a 1st is the best you can do for Pacioretty, do you pull the trigger?

He was a centre in the CHL because he was the best player on his team. That’s the only reason. His play isn’t conducive to being a centre. He tries to destroy everyone and play as a pest. I don’t think he’s smart enough to be an NHL centre. I mean even Jankowski is being put at centre ahead of him despite being a rookie.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Galchenyuk fans will not like that comment.

If I got a 1st and Bennett for Patch I take it. However, Galchenyuk >> Bennett (winger or center).

- Galchenyuk from age 18-21 (160 pts over 275 games)
- Bennett from age 18-21 (82 pts over 215 games).

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

First of all, Calgary doesn't have a 1st this year. Second of all, draft position and perceived upside prior to being drafted don't matter at all after the draft. Sam Bennett is a guy with over 200 games NHL experience. He's shown no clear signs of progression, remains a poor possession player and has clear offensive limitation.

If Bennett and presumably a 2019 First is the best offer on Patches, you keep Patches. People should get over Bennett's draft position and watch him play.

Reactions: loadie and Roke

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He was a centre in the CHL because he was the best player on his team. That’s the only reason. His play isn’t conducive to being a centre. He tries to destroy everyone and play as a pest. I don’t think he’s smart enough to be an NHL centre. I mean even Jankowski is being put at centre ahead of him despite being a rookie.
Jankowski is older than him... he won draws and played 200 feet with Kingston and was compared to guys like Doug Gilmour and Patrice Bergeron... the book isn't over for him. I think CJ would trust him at center.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Folks said the same about Brayden Schenn.

Schenn was already a 60 point player on the Flyers (Bennett isn’t close to that). He plays with Tarasenko now. Doesn’t mean he’s a top centre. That’s like saying Desharnais is good because he produced with Max and Erik Cole.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I don’t understand how Clague isn’t a blue chip prospect.

Because he wasn't drafted in the first round and isn't 6'1''?

Seriously, people have their own ideas of what "blue chip" means. I take it to mean a prospect that won't be traded - perhaps the best prospect on each team. With that in mind, the Habs might have to look to the next level. Excellent prospects, but not their team's best. This is why they'd ask for 2 prospects + a 1st round pick. To mitigate the risk.

Some people see "2nd round pick" and want nothing to do with it. While you see Clague's PPG production and don't care as much about when he was drafted. Same could be said of JAD - just a few points behind "blue chip" Cody Glass in WHL scoring.

Reactions: le_sean

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
First of all, Calgary doesn't have a 1st this year. Second of all, draft position and perceived upside prior to being drafted don't matter at all after the draft. Sam Bennett is a guy with over 200 games NHL experience. He's shown no clear signs of progression, remains a poor possession player and has clear offensive limitation.

If Bennett and presumably a 2019 First is the best offer on Patches, you keep Patches. People should get over Bennett's draft position and watch him play.
Whenever I watch Calgary, Bennett pops out to me as a guy who would be a great buy-low candidate. The guy has all the ingredients, it just hasn't come together yet.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
if that is the best we can get for maxy, my oh my

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Whenever I watch Calgary, Bennett pops out to me as a guy who would be a great buy-low candidate. The guy has all the ingredients, it just hasn't come together yet.

Yes, he reminds me of Sekac.

You aren't buying low if you're trading one of the top-5 goal scorers of the last 5 years for Bennett.

I'd give 4th or a 3rd for him no problem.

Reactions: Garnet76

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Folks said the same about Brayden Schenn.

This is true but would you gamble on him before he produces? For me the 1st and conditional pick if Patch re-signs is what I would be interested in as insurance. Bennett would be like Lehkonen and that's how see him. I don't see the Flames dominating so I would expect a 12-20 range pick with that 1st as it would be in 2019.

The conditions I would have is what Bennett and Patch do in the next year. Both teams gets a bit of insurance. If Bennett disappoints as a 22 year old and Patch produces 25+ goals and 55+ points and re-signs, then the Habs get something. If Bennett scores 20+ goals and 50+ points, then the Flames are off the hook with the conditional pick. Both teams would have concerns so make conditions to provide insurance for both teams.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If you can’t get Jankowski, try for Dillon Dube and one of their top D prospects. At least Dube may still be a centre. Bennett is of no interest.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
So you don't support an all in move if we are able to get Dahlin and Tavares? Of course I would not make a Mete/Poehling for McDonagh deal if we don't get Dahlin and Tavares but if we do, I would make this all in move. That's the point. I agree Poehling is a center and he will be a good middle 2 center but we are years away from him making an impact.

No I don't make that trade either way. Even if we SOMEHOW grab Tavares and SOMEHOW manage to be lucky and get the first pick, you shouldnt make that trade, ever.

Mete is 19years old and able to play a top4 role from time to time in the NHL, that's insane for someone high as 3apple and a quarter. Peohling will battle for a roster spot next year. He's already great on the D side , if he can produce on the other end of the ice, he might be our #3 next year. If not, he will destroy the NCAA even more next year. He's a steal so far to be honest.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I realize that, I’m not the biggest Clague fan either, but it’s an impressive stat nonetheless. He’d still be the one of the Habs top prospects and their top LD prospect (though that’s not saying much).

In the context of junior hockey...sure.

Agreed with the overall tone of your post though, not trying to diminish the kid as a prospect. He's a fine prospect in his own right, but not exactly what i'd label a can't miss/blue chip prospect.

Reactions: le_sean

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I believe
If I got a 1st and Bennett for Patch I take it. However, Galchenyuk >> Bennett (winger or center).

- Galchenyuk from age 18-21 (160 pts over 275 games)
- Bennett from age 18-19 (82 pts over 215 games).

It must be 18-21 for Bennett also, right?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Really hope MB is talking to Vegas. They have terrific centre depth and a couple of top centre prospects. Suzuki would be a great C prospect to nab. Thinking they would want Gallagher more than Patches. Not sure about other parts.

In terms of Vilardi I know he is lighting it up and he was an 11th overall selection. He was highly rated, so who am I to question it. I'm saying if he doesn't have NHL speed now, big problem.

From Flames I would want Jankowski and Valimaki for Patches.

Patches to Blues for Thomas, Thompson and 1st.

Steel, Larsson/ Mohura and 1st for Patches.

Think I would be most excited about Suzuki.

Reactions: Spooky Actions
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad