Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If all Pacioretty is worth at this deadline is a top prospect +1st.

What is he worth next deadline?

Just a 1st?

Martin Hanzal got a 1st + conditional 2nd last year.

Something seems way off about these values to me.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
417 said:
What lottery????

Habs shouldn't have to be assuming ALL the risk in a trade for a player like Pacioretty, with his history of production, his salary AND the fact he's got 2 more playoffs runs left in him...

What is the Kings risk here?

You're suggesting the Habs trade Pacioretty to the Kings for LESS then what they paid for to acquire a Milan Lucic who had an expiring deal.

Makes no sense to me.

I think amateur and professional scouts would have the same consensus...

Pacioretty is worth more than what rentals typically go for.

When you speak of value you completely miss the point.

Here are some options possible:
a)Quantity for quality type deal
b)A zero risk, zero upside deal - Pacioretty for say.... O'reilly or Simmonds... or Pacioretty for a younger player but NO ONE will give us a Boeser/Mantha/Barzal type player here. If you insist on that type of return you'll get someone like Lehkonen/Hertl. It's not that we're undervalueing Pacioretty, it's that you don't seem to understand no one will give us a young player who is already as good/better as Patch. All they need to do is simply use that player who is already close/as good/better than Patch anyway, is cost controlled, RFA for longer, and has their best years ahead of them. You don't seem to understand there's a team on the other side and it needs to make sense for them too. Your NHL player is not going to be of very high quality. That's the price you will pay to eliminate the risk.
c)Risky deal with lots of upside

You have 3 different deals (a, b or c) which can have the exact same theoretical value for Pacioretty but are completely different types of trades. Regardless of what you think Pacioretty is worth. The type of trade =/= the value the trade has. We can and will disagree on specific examples.

I want C. I want a Nieuwendyk for Iginla type deal. On a lesser scale Silfverberg for Ryan. I'd imagine Patch would fall in between Nieuwendyk/Ryan, so the return will fall in between the two as well.

And you want something that's probably not realistic.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg

Just a 1st?

The large supply of LW scorers potentially available on the trade market may be driving down his value a bit right now but you're right, things are off if he isn't worth that. A 1st and 2nd or 1st and decently promising prospect is what I would be expecting next trade deadline and I'd even be a bit disappointed.

Getting him now for 2 playoff runs, and at $2.25M next season (if the Habs aren't retaining 50% they're nuts) should be worth a boatload.

Reactions: 417

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Are you guys interested in Mikael Backlund?I saw his name mentioned on these boards. He's considered a very good player in Sweden, went straight from Allsvenskan to NHL (he played on the same team that Lidstrom played for). He would definitely be on a Swedish Olympics team roster if NHL players were allowed. He's smart, hard worker, defensively responsible and he can score some nice goals as well. Do the Flames have the resources to sign him on a UFD contract?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Are you guys interested in Mikael Backlund?I saw his name mentioned on these boards. He's considered a very good player in Sweden, went straight from Allsvenskan to NHL (he played on the same team that Lidstrom played for). He would definitely be on a Swedish Olympics team roster if NHL players were allowed. He's smart, hard worker, defensively responsible and he can score some nice goals as well. Do the Flames have the resources to sign him on a UFD contract?

Yes please. Doubt the flames want to part ways with backlund tho. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a big fan of his two way game. I understand we need future help but at least he's a top 6 C.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg

Calgary should be able to re-sign him and with the team much stronger than the Habs it seems like a no-brainer for him to stay there, or go to a team that can actually win things.

I've loved Backlund for years (was hoping we could steal him in 2012 by selling high on Desharnais after he rode Pacioretty and Cole to 60 points). Would love the Habs to sign him for up to 5 years, $6M/year, even if a rebuild is started this trade deadline, but I don't think it's realistic.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
he is ok, but we need a home run....with the maxy deal..

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Just a 1st?

his "worth" is a purely subjective thing...

But the odds of said worth being greater this time next year are not favourable.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Just a 1st?

A late 1st and a late 2nd is my guess, you don't get much more for rentals, regardless of who they are right? It'll be good for the rebuilding effort. ;)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Some tidbits of interest yesterday from Jimmy Murphy and Kypreos. What that translates into is a whole other matter.

Reactions: groovejuice

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
The large supply of LW scorers potentially available on the trade market may be driving down his value a bit right now but you're right, things are off if he isn't worth that. A 1st and 2nd or 1st and decently promising prospect is what I would be expecting next trade deadline and I'd even be a bit disappointed.

Getting him now for 2 playoff runs, and at $2.25M next season (if the Habs aren't retaining 50% they're nuts) should be worth a boatload.
Pacioretty is the king of that hill. Largely due to his consistency (which Kane lacks) and cost controlled contract for one more season.

So yes, if I am a hypothetical GM for a playoff bound team looking to add some scoring to the wing ie Nashville, why would I be willing to pay a good prospect and a 1st for Kane but not more for Pacioretty? I would think, I am already potentially losing Prospect A and my 1st for kane why not throw in Prospect B for a second year of Pacioretty?

Another point is there is always that GM who is in a somewhat hot seat due to looming contractual raises for core players and loading up now for contention. When this GM watches a rival acquire say Kane, he will feel even more pressure to make a move to keep up in the arms race for the Cup.

I expect Pacioretty will be traded, and even Bergevin will get a good haul. Pacioretty will have demand, it isn't like selling something from weakness here, there is a limited supply of 1st line players available and teams will pay for them.

Reactions: Roke

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Hoping a homerun for trading Pacioretty? I wouldn’t hold my breath knowing it’s Bergevin who will be the one trading him...

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Hoping a homerun for trading Pacioretty? I wouldn’t hold my breath knowing it’s Bergevin who will be the one trading him...
"Sorry Poile, I have Bob Murray, Blake, and Armstrong on hold"

Pretty sure even Bergevin won't mess this up

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I havent look into it and it as probably been mentionned here, when is the last time a player like Pacioretty(goals, contract,age,etc) as been available at the deadline?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yes please. Doubt the flames want to part ways with backlund tho. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a big fan of his two way game. I understand we need future help but at least he's a top 6 C.

Love Backlund too. But is it prudent for the Flames to give him a longterm deal with the emergence of Jankowski? Is Bennett going to be a full time winger or can he slide into the 3C position next season?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Love Backlund too. But is it prudent for the Flames to give him a longterm deal with the emergence of Jankowski? Is Bennett going to be a full time winger or can he slide into the 3C position next season?

Good point, thing is are Calgary going to wait around for jankowski or Bennett to be the players they are supposed to be? Losing backlund without jankowski being able to take on 2nd C duties would be bad for the flames. They can always sign and trade him ( Backlund )

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I like the Iginla for Nieuwendyk analogy.

The goal in a trade should be to end up with the best player. That trumps a big bag of who knows what.

It underlines the importance of your scouting though and knowing exactly what you`re getting in return.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
From what I heard.

Pacioretty is available. Asking price is 3 or 4 pieces.

1st round pick
2nd round pick
Roster player
Top Center prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad