Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 77

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Hoping over on the Tampa board and they really want Killorn out. A couple flooded trading him for Anderson with retention, which doesn't make any sense for us but... I do like the idea of us eating Killorn's contract for them. He's only signed for one year at 4.5M. If we could get something out of that, I think it'd be worthwhile.
He was almost surely playing injured but he grew up in Montreal and I’m sure he would accept a trade to Montreal if necessary.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hoping over on the Tampa board and they really want Killorn out. A couple flooded trading him for Anderson with retention, which doesn't make any sense for us but... I do like the idea of us eating Killorn's contract for them. He's only signed for one year at 4.5M. If we could get something out of that, I think it'd be worthwhile.

I also thought he was noticeably bad. Hopefully he was injured.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’m looking at the facts: we have two very good young players (one acquired in a trade, the other by luck because he’s undersized) and the 1OA. As far as I’m concerned they count as three draft pickups. We have the 2023 1st round pick and Guhle/Harris/Barron.

We have the quantity of prospects and young players to avoid persisting in that bottoming-out stage and risk the bottom falling out and turning into Buffalo: l’édition Français

What we get with our lottery pick this year and at least next will determine a lot - how long we're bad for and just how good we get. Other moves I'll also be key. But this is where big parts of our core will come from. Our MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen,Landeskog, Byram, Hedman, Stamkos, etc... will come from our lottery pick. Not every day you can find a GM to take your really bad 3rd overall pick for a Sergachev.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
What we get with our lottery pick this year and at least next will determine a lot - how long we're bad for and just how good we get. Other moves I'll also be key. But this is where big parts of our core will come from. Our MacKinnon, Makar, Rantanen,Landeskog, Byram, Hedman, Stamkos, etc... will come from our lottery pick. Not every day you can find a GM to take your really bad 3rd overall pick for a Sergachev.
There are impact players available right now, today, on the trade and free agent market. Laine for instance. If the GM thinks they would complete the roster and core and have the right age profile and risk tolerance, why shouldn’t he acquire these players?

Why do we have to endure 3+ years of misery and risk long term injury to our existing core players when we can add young and established talent in exchange for magic beans which we are likelier than not to ruin (see: every Habs top pick other than Caufield) and instead allow other fanbases to endure endless losing seasons with fake hope?

This is what happened with Bergevin. He had superstar Price and never added talent to the core to help push us over the line. Price deteriorated as players do, Weber was already on the downswing and broke down even more and *poof* the house of cards collapsed.

What if Suzuki tears an ACL midway through the 2023-2024 season? What if Caufield pulls a PLD and refuses to sign past his UFA? Tank extended, core destroyed, oh well let’s lose more and more to get more magic beans.

It is criminally negligent of the value of the present. A bird in hand is worth two in bush.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There are impact players available right now, today, on the trade and free agent market. Laine for instance. If the GM thinks they would complete the roster and core and have the right age profile and risk tolerance, why shouldn’t he acquire these players?

Why do we have to endure 3+ years of misery and risk long term injury to our existing core players when we can add young and established talent in exchange for magic beans which we are likelier than not to ruin (see: every Habs top pick other than Caufield) and instead allow other fanbases to endure endless losing seasons with fake hope?

This is what happened with Bergevin. He had superstar Price and never added talent to the core to help push us over the line. Price deteriorated as players do, Weber was already on the downswing and broke down even more and *poof* the house of cards collapsed.

What if Suzuki tears an ACL midway through the 2023-2024 season? What if Caufield pulls a PLD and refuses to sign past his UFA? Tank extended, core destroyed, oh well let’s lose more and more to get more magic beans.

It is criminally negligent of the value of the present. A bird in hand is worth two in bush.

I'd rather Suzuki, Caufield, and our 1st OA than Laine. Sure if we can get Laine for Romanov, 26OA, and Josh Anderson I do it. (Having said that, we'd be much better off if we hadn't traded Sergachev or McDonagh!).

But these top 5 picks are where you get not only Laine's but also generational talent. We'll get our generational talent over the next few years. Just gotta be patient. My suggestion: focus more on observing and following the development of our young talent that on wins and losses - because there will be a lot of losses.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I'd rather Suzuki, Caufield, and our 1st OA than Laine. Sure if we can get Laine for Romanov, 26OA, and Josh Anderson I do it.

But these top 5 picks are where you get not only Laine's but also generational talent. We'll get our generational talent over the next few years. Just gotta be patient. My suggestion: focus more on observing and following the development of our young talent that on wins and losses - because there will be a lot of losses.
I think your proposal is probably a bit of an overpay but I’d do it. Many here think otherwise. Magic beans!

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's odd to say that as if it's not a major change. The guy who had been running Montreal's drafts for nearly 20 years and the GM who was heavily involved in the process are both gone. That's a massive change even if the regional WHL scouts are still the same people.

If we just don't know then why is your default position that it's more likely they will be bad? Waiting for them to prove themselves as good drafters before assuming they're good is perfectly reasonable, but we also don't have any track record from them that says they're likely to be bad at it.

If that's not your position then fair enough, but that is what is implied by "I ain't holding my breath".
Because I think people like Timmins and Gorton make decisions on what they're told. So if the people advising them are giving them faulty advice, their decisions are faulty. That's why I said I don't see a big change in the scouting staff except for the inclusion of Bobrov and his drafting record does not instill excitement in me.

It's true Gorton and Hughes did go out and do some scouting but I have to ask how much? Seeing Cooley and Wright once or twice each doesn't help. If anything it could be detrimental as in Gauthier scouting McDonagh.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The one thing is I believe in this organization’s ability to develop prospects a lot more than the Bergevin regime.
Maybe you're right but where's the proof of that? Gorton was GM of the Rangers. How were Kakko and Kravstov developed?

BTW I don't have an opinion either way when it comes to these two. I'm in wait-and-see mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Stars appear to have a few prospects they they value very high and for this reason, I would target their 18th OA pick if they are looking at Petry to replace Klingberg

Less emotional attachment to the 18th pick than a prospect already drafted and developing well.

Literally in every Junior league they seem to have drafted the arguable best player. With Pavelski being year to year and Benn/Seguin regressing can't see them trading top prospects/picks. Feel like they will probably offer Gurianov and 2nd at best. Stars don't seem to trade their 1sts.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I also thought he was noticeably bad. Hopefully he was injured.
The dude was part of 2007 draft class so he’s 33 now? He’s also played a lot of hockey over last few seasons and had a very short off season last couple of years…

Reactions: 26Mats

durojean

May 29, 2007
I feel like a swap Dvorak + Poehling ( or Gallagher ) for Dubois could be ok from our part.

It does not move the needle too much so we are still not a contending team. It gives us a good 2nd line center who is younger and fits more with our core. It adds speed and quebec factor into the line-up.

Jets get a good center to replace them and a 1st round draft pick already developped for their 3rd and 4th line.

It would put our line-up like that ;

Anderson* Suzuki Caufield
Hoffman* Dubois Dadonov*
Drouin* Wright Gallagher*
Pitlick* Evans* Armia*

Byron, Pezetta

All the asterix in the line-up are either tradebait or piece that could actually go this summer.

The goal of the trade would not be to get a really blueship prospect but I do feel like Dubois a 23 fits more the core that we have right now of Caufield Suzuki and Romanov.

My point of view of free agency.
-------------------------------------
If you can find a good or a elite talent for free, you do it.
ex. Gaudreau want to join the team. You do it because it is a free asset that you could always move when the time is right. You can't wait to get those assets because they probably won't be their when you feel the timing is right. You have to adapt given the market.

Ex. Rangers were in a rebuild. They did sign Panarin, it just helped them with it because he is an elite talent that could help the team.

So if Habs can sign a Forsberg, A Gaudreau, etc. Do it.

My target this summer are Letang to replace Petry and to create a good culture around the Habs. Performance is not that much an issue for me as much at the message it sends. ( come play home )

I'd also target Perron for the same message. I'd try to replace Drouin on Wright wing with Perron.

A line up is always moving and I really feel like the important thing is to sell high and buy low.

For me losing a Danault and Tatar for nothing is in itself a fireable offence because you did not get any return for your investment. That is also why a never liked Bergevin.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Because I think people like Timmins and Gorton make decisions on what they're told. So if the people advising them are giving them faulty advice, their decisions are faulty. That's why I said I don't see a big change in the scouting staff except for the inclusion of Bobrov and his drafting record does not instill excitement in me.

It's true Gorton and Hughes did go out and do some scouting but I have to ask how much? Seeing Cooley and Wright once or twice each doesn't help. If anything it could be detrimental as in Gauthier scouting McDonagh.
Hughes knows Cooley very well but probably not Wright

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
At this point, the only players I would sign or trade for are vets who can help the young core develop a winning mentality. We don't need to chase or trade for star players in their late twenties or early 30's, they simply don't fit the core. Make space for more kids to play and develop and after what should be a terrible 23-24 campaign, go all in on the rebuild.

Until that happens, Habs are better off clearing contracts, solidifying their goaltending and developing prospects. That will lead to the best long term outcome. Adding another top 5 pick next year will go a long way to completing the rebuild and moving forward with a lot of kids and cap space to fill in.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Stars appear to have a few prospects they they value very high and for this reason, I would target their 18th OA pick if they are looking at Petry to replace Klingberg

Less emotional attachment to the 18th pick than a prospect already drafted and developing well.
not sure whos in charge of their drafting but all their prospects are top scorers in every league

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
not sure whos in charge of their drafting but all their prospects are top scorers in every league

I've looked as well and they appear to have hit in several areas.

Literally in every Junior league they seem to have drafted the arguable best player. With Pavelski being year to year and Benn/Seguin regressing can't see them trading top prospects/picks. Feel like they will probably offer Gurianov and 2nd at best. Stars don't seem to trade their 1sts.

Petry has value and might not need retention but if we retain, he becomes one of the best top 4RD available this summer if you factor in cap hit with about $1M or $1.5M retention. I'd retain down to $5M but Stars or anybody else will have to give us Toffoli and Lehkonen returns.

Gurainov and a 2nd won't do it and Stars know they have to offer more than that to get Petry. I think the Habs are looking at someone younger than Gurainov but I will admit, I don't know his game that well. More of a points evaluation cause I have not seen him play that much.

I think the Stars are staying in touch with Hughes on Petry but they are also trying to negotiate contracts to their top RFA's in Robertson and Oettinger. Will they bridge them both, bridge one with the other getting long term, or try to sign them both to long term deals. All this matters to them in terms of what cap is left. All I know is they don't have room to sign Klingberg at $8M+. If they do, something has to give. I also think they are looking at other RD options if they can't trade for Petry. Might look at a guy like Manson as a UFA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would not expect a bunch of trades just cause the finals are over now. GM's are still evaluating their needs and wish lists and cap space issues. Lots of chatter back and forth and they are preparing for possible trades on draft day or this summer.

Won't be surprised if there are trades or there are none till draft day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad