Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 63

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Petry situation gets dealt with this summer personally.

Also wanted to ask you...after hearing Price at his press conference, still think other teams would show interest?

Remember I told a few weeks back, he's got chronic knee & hip issues. It's not exactly a secret.

If getting rid of Price and his contract is the wet dream everyone makes it out to be here, the most likely resolution will come via LTIR.

I personally am not sure what we do at the deadline. Chiarot and Kulak probably get moved. I'd be money on that. Others with term? That's very difficult to pull off at a deadline. Something might develop but that's circumstantial. Hard to guess.

With Petry? I agree. Low probability he gets moved this season. Possible but not probable. I think we might be stuck with a Voracek for Atkinson type trade. Term for term with maybe a slight difference in AAV. Not sure we can move him for futures only. Hard for us to guess cause we are not the ones getting the phone calls and hearing the offers.

With Price? A true rebuild don't start unless he is on LTIR for the rest of his career or he gets traded. I think he returns and puts this in the past but how long does that take? Not sure. Trading him? Not easy and you know what I think... only way to move him and get very good value is to retain and also take back a 1/2 year cap dumb. Would Molson do that? No idea. Will Gorton/Huhges decide this later once Price is back on the ice? :dunno:

I am also on the record at saying that I won't be surprised is many of these guys are still with us in a years time (Price, Gallagher, Petry, Toffoli, Hoffman).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry has value. His shit season does not turn GMs off.

Personally, I look at the Voracek for Atkinson trade. That might be something we have to consider. Maybe we can trade Petry for Klingberg but in a sign/trade? Something like that. Haven't dug deep into what are good options where other teams are looking to make a 1/1 swap.

If we move Petry, the RD side is a complete mess (more than what it is now believe it or not lol)

All I know is it's very difficult to move a AAV/Term like that for futures only. Not in this flat cap! That's why I was so focused on the retention sale to see if we can get bites. Petry at $4.5M is a steal and draws a lot of interest IMO. I think we get very good futures but would we be willing to retain like that? Not sure

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I could see something like that:
Jeff Petry vs Phillipe Myers + Mathieu Oliver + 2nd round pick

Myers doesn't have the best season but he's a RD and still young and Oliver was Hughes client and Hughes said that they want to bring a little bit more toughness to protect our young players.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I personally am not sure what we do at the deadline. Chiarot and Kulak probably get moved. I'd be money on that. Others with term? That's very difficult to pull off at a deadline. Something might develop but that's circumstantial. Hard to guess.
I tend to agree, players with term are more likely offseason trades...though I think if they get a substantial offer for Toffoli, they're going to move him.

With Petry? I agree. Low probability he gets moved this season. Possible but not probable. I think we might be stuck with a Voracek for Atkinson type trade. Term for term with maybe a slight difference in AAV. Not sure we can move him for futures only. Hard for us to guess cause we are not the ones getting the phone calls and hearing the offers.
See impossible...but I could see a deal where it's a combination of futures + Habs taking back a bad contract.

With Price? A true rebuild don't start unless he is on LTIR for the rest of his career or he gets traded. I think he returns and puts this in the past but how long does that take? Not sure. Trading him? Not easy and you know what I think... only way to move him and get very good value is to retain and also take back a 1/2 year cap dumb. Would Molson do that? No idea. Will Gorton/Huhges decide this later once Price is back on the ice? :dunno:.
Don't agree with that because he's never ever going to play a heavy workload again, best case scenario he'll play 35-40 games a year.

I think teams are very aware of his health situation and trading for and having a goalie making the kind money he does and who will have to be load managed for the rest of his career (which isn't much longer IMO), isn't ideal.

I am also on the record at saying that I won't be surprised is many of these guys are still with us in a years time (Price, Gallagher, Petry, Toffoli, Hoffman).
I don't think Price has many years left, maybe 2 more after this one??

As for the rest, I would suspect at least 2 of the remaining 4 won't be on this roster to open the 2022-23 season...but that's just a guess.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Personally, I look at the Voracek for Atkinson trade. That might be something we have to consider. Maybe we can trade Petry for Klingberg but in a sign/trade? Something like that. Haven't dug deep into what are good options where other teams are looking to make a 1/1 swap.

All I know is it's very difficult to move a AAV/Term like that for futures only. Not in this flat cap!

I think klingberg has much higher value than Voracek and Atkinson, while Petry is probably in their territory.

A different player than Klingberg may be closer to reality, but I'd rather wait to see if Petry can up his game when Edmundson returns than trade him for a bad return (like the viracek contract that seatlle didn't even take for free.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I tend to agree, players with term are more likely offseason trades...though I think if they get a substantial offer for Toffoli, they're going to move him.

See impossible...but I could see a deal where it's a combination of futures + Habs taking back a bad contract.

Don't agree with that because he's never ever going to play a heavy workload again, best case scenario he'll play 35-40 games a year.

I think teams are very aware of his health situation and trading for and having a goalie making the kind money he does and who will have to be load managed for the rest of his career (which isn't much longer IMO), isn't ideal.

I don't think Price has many years left, maybe 2 more after this one??

As for the rest, I would suspect at least 2 of the remaining 4 won't be on this roster to open the 2022-23 season...but that's just a guess.

No doubt in my mind that there will be conversations but it might be just GM's trying to feel us out and to see if they can take advantage of us being sellers. We will see how our new management handles that and what they are able to pull off.

Price returning and back healthy hurts a rebuild. He's that good when healthy. I don't agree with your line of thinking that 10-15 range picks turns our franchise around. Price will move us up if he is back healthy. I won't complain too much cause I do like Price as a Habs but then I wonder, what kind of moves can they make to address the many flaws this core has?

How many more good years does Price have if he is healthy again? I would say 2 years comfortably and maybe 3. Not sure about his age 38 season but I have more confidence in his age 35 and 36 seasons. Got to get past this rehab though. We will see about that very soon.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No doubt in my mind that there will be conversations but it might be just GM's trying to feel us out and to see if they can take advantage of us being sellers. We will see how our new management handles that and what they are able to pull off.

Price returning and back healthy hurts a rebuild. He's that good when healthy. I don't agree with your line of thinking that 10-15 range picks turns our franchise around. Price will move us up if he is back healthy. I won't complain too much cause I do like Price as a Habs but then I wonder, what kind of moves can they make to address the many flaws this core has?
That's not my thinking because well, I don't think any singular draft pick can turn an entire franchise around.

I'm just telling you, he's not going to ever play 60 games a year anymore, forget back to back games, he's going to need a lot of rest in between starts for the rest of his career.

Carey Price = Load Management.

How many more good years does Price have if he is healthy again? I would say 2 years comfortably and maybe 3. Not sure about his age 38 season but I have more confidence in his age 35 and 36 seasons. Got to get past this rehab though. We will see about that very soon.
He will never be healthy, or at least, completely healthy anymore.

It's just about pain load/pain management at this point.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
LeBrun: Kent Hughes's plan for the Canadiens is beginning to take shape

"Petry, 34, has had a rough year, but his reputation around the league remains strong, a Western Conference team executive telling me the other day they still view him as the player from before this season. That executive’s team would have zero hesitation stepping up for him if they had that need on their team.

This is good because I don’t think the Canadiens intend to deal Petry at a discount if, in fact, they end up moving him at all."

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think klingberg has much higher value than Voracek and Atkinson, while Petry is probably in their territory.

A different player than Klingberg may be closer to reality, but I'd rather wait to see if Petry can up his game when Edmundson returns than trade him for a bad return (like the viracek contract that seatlle didn't even take for free.

Personally, I don't think Petry's value has decreased that badly. This is not a Gomez situation. In cases like this though, other GM's see the team struggling and make the call to see if they can buy for cheap. Hope the new Management don't fall for that.

With the Stars, they might loose Klingberg for nothing. If we are willing to pay him what the Stars are not willing to pay him, there might be a deal there even if you feel Klingberg is better and younger. Stars might bite on that cause replacing a guy like that is not easy. Look at the Habs... Markov/Alzner and Weber/Savard. It's very likely the Stars take a step back in top 4D and especially on the RD side if they let Klingberg walk. Jets have never recovered from Big Buff and Trouba gone.

Not saying that's the only deal either. But Petry for futures only is not something I see other teams biting on. Not in this flat cap so that's why I brought up the Voracek/Atkinson trade as an example.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's not my thinking because well, I don't think any singular draft pick can turn an entire franchise around.

I'm just telling you, he's not going to ever play 60 games a year anymore, forget back to back games, he's going to need a lot of rest in between starts for the rest of his career.

Carey Price = Load Management.

He will never be healthy, or at least, completely healthy anymore.

It's just about pain load/pain management at this point.

We don't know. We can only guess on where the Price road leads. I have more faith in him than others but yeah, I was shocked to see Weber go on LTIR too. Even if Price plays 50-60 games, it still hurts the rebuild. I'll believe it when I see it.... Price is no longer a top 10 goalie when he is back on the ice.

If we are not able to move guys with term out (Fans dream like you want to call it), we are in for a rough ride in the middle of the pack. Probability is low to exit that as a contender. So yeah, stay conservative if you wish but that will not be a true rebuild and probably (based in NHL history) indicates it leads us to another bubble team core.

Price on LTIR for the rest of the contract? Possible but personally, I have my doubts on that.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If Habs can get one of Bolduc or Neighbours in a deal with them, I'd be real happy.
I like Bolduc in his draft year, but I need to say that I'm not impress with how he plays this year since he's with Québec. Joshua Roy by exemple is playing way better then him. I think it would be Neighbours OR 1st round pick

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
How about we trade Petry and sign Chariot we can't get rid of everyone we need veteran players for our younger core.

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
NHL GMs don't value players like fans do, in short samples.

Ultimately, a team that wants Petry is going to have to pay for the player he's proven to be for most of his career, which is a solid top 4 puck moving Dman who can chip in 40pts a year and play 22+ mins a game.

There's a lot of value in that...the tricky part is the salary and term.
We don't know how GM value 34 years old defenseman who show indication of declining on a 6.25M$ cap hit for the next 3.5 seasons since there isn't a lot traded around the league, if at all.

I hope for the value we can get from him that they don't mind his piss poor play 2021-2022 edition.

To me, a 2nd and a B prospect + a 5th isn't exactly low value at this point in the season. Make the 5th a higher pick if it appease you. A grade A prospect as I see it is a pre NHL Zegras, Edvisson, Seider, Raymond, Sanderson. I don't see a team sacrificing that much future for Jeff Petry.

A 1st might be a possibility at the draft, since like mentionned previously teams will have more flexibility and they will have a better picture of how Petry's level of play is after a full season . But I specifically wrote his value right now is probably in this ballpark, mostly because of his contract. Doesn't mean we should move him before this summer.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
How about we trade Petry and sign Chariot we can't get rid of everyone we need veteran players for our younger core.
Gallagher,Anderson,Edmundson and Savard are still around lets not act like we're trading everyone over 25,its time to rebuild and you wont rebuild fast if you wanna keep your vets with value

Chiarot needs to go

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
STL would make a lot of sense and they have interesting pieces for us

They've done well recently to not give up their top young talent (kyrou, thomas), but rather their secondary talent like Eller.

Vegas is the team I want to deal with when it comes to getting a prospect. But do they have any left?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
They've done well recently to not give up their top young talent (kyrou, thomas), but rather their secondary talent like Eller.

Vegas is the team I want to deal with when it comes to getting a prospect. But do they have any left?
Yes Doug Armstrong is one of the best in the business (#2 after Yzerman in my eyes)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Gallagher,Anderson,Edmundson and Savard are still around lets not act like we're trading everyone over 25,its time to rebuild and you wont rebuild fast if you wanna keep your vets with value

Chiarot needs to go

I'm fine with moving all of Gallagher, Anderson, Edmundson, and Savard next year.

This year Chiarot, Lehkonen, Toffoli, Kulak, Wideman, and Petry is enough to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad