Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 63

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Wha do you think we will get for Petry? I think the deal will likely involve a contract coming back.

Would be pretty dissapointing if we can't get back a 1st round pick. Petry was a top pairing dman until this season. We just need to convince other teams that he's having a bad year on a bad team in a bad situation (not being with his family cuz of covid) and that he's still a very good dman.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I don't think this is the year to trade him, honestly... I would wait for next year. His play has been utter garbage this year. Why sell low?

Reactions: The Great Weal

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Would you do Petry for PK Subban?
Devils would never do this as PK is about to come off their books forever. Petry has 3 years @6.25 million left, no one will bite with a UFA.

You'd have more luck getting Vlasic from the Sharks, but Petry will shoot this down as he doesn't want to play in the western conference.

We're stuck with him.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Devils would never do this as PK is about to come off their books forever. Petry has 3 years @6.25 million left, no one will bite with a UFA.

You'd have more luck getting Vlasic from the Sharks, but Petry will shoot this down as he doesn't want to play in the western conference.

We're stuck with him.

Actually I think his track record (Petry) will speak for itselves. He would strive in a different environmnet which would be the case in NJ. Pk subban coming off the books, placing him with a smaller contract by a guy who is superior when playing well should be appealing. Petry when playing to its cabability is a deal at 6M.

Reactions: themilosh

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Actually I think his track record (Petry) will speak for itselves. He would strive in a different environmnet which would be the case in NJ. Pk subban coming off the books, placing him with a smaller contract by a guy who is superior when playing well should be appealing. Petry when playing to its cabability is a deal at 6M.
:laugh: The sales pitch is poor. A track record at 34/35 isn't quite as important as if he was 28/29

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Petry is a very good 2nd pairing defenseman. Has been his entire career. I don't want PK in return, but i'm sure there's a team that has something that would interest us as we move forward in the rebuild.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think Toffoli is a a great presence for Suzuki. I know people want to sell high but we cannot forget our young players already in place. Suzuki, Poehling and Romanov are in the NHL to stay but still developping. Caufield needs to see a complete year in the AHL so it's another thing. But we need to make sure those three are being handled correctly.

So i would say this. I would absolutely keep Toffoli for another year has i think he facilitates Suzuki's development, being a good finisher and a pretty defensively sounded winger to spread the load. That's why i would also look to find a solid right D via trade or ideally UFA to play with Romanov next year, assuming Petry is traded. I wouldn't mind Letang for three years if he wants to. We also have Eddy and Savard to play with younder D we have in the pipeline.

As for Toffoli, revisit the idea next season.
With Toffoli, you need to ask a high price ( 1st pick + a really good prospect) and if no one give you that price, then you keep him. I can see Calgary making a big offer for him, a lot of players won't want to go in Calgary and Toffoli is exactly what they want. The fact that Sutter know him well could help to

Reactions: Benstheman

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Would be pretty dissapointing if we can't get back a 1st round pick. Petry was a top pairing dman until this season. We just need to convince other teams that he's having a bad year on a bad team in a bad situation (not being with his family cuz of covid) and that he's still a very good dman.
You will be disappointing then, I don't see any team giving a 1st pick for a 35 yrs old D with 3 others years of contract at 6,25

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I think a trade to Washington could be a good fit for Petry. They have an older core so they should be all in at this point, plus they play a more offensive game which fits Petry's style.

We could take some salary back (such as Hagelin/Schultz/Jensen) to make it work cap wise.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Based on the recent history of the league, "He's (age) and making (dollar figure) for (number of years)!!!!!" does not appear to be as compelling an argument to NHL GMs as it is to us on forums.

Petry will move in the offseason for a solid return. Time and time again on HFBoards we treat players like they're completely done and dusted after their first setback, and assume that NHL GMs as a monolith think the same way, and almost every time this happens the "unmoveable" contracts end up moving. It really isn't that hard if you're willing to take back another team's bad money which we absolutely will and should be doing. A team with no guarantee of being in the playoffs paid a 1st for Rasmus Ristolainen this offseason.

It only takes one GM for a deal to get done here. It is not going to be hard to sell teams on the idea that being away from his family and recovering from injuries after a short offseason and losing all the leadership on the team was the primary cause for his difficulties and point out that the tools (and especially the skating) are all still there. Every team has bad contracts, if we're taking back 3 or 4 million from someone else it's certainly feasible to get another team to dream on what Petry could be for only 2-3M of marginal cost to their team.

Reactions: Archijerej

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You will be disappointing then, I don't see any team giving a 1st pick for a 35 yrs old D with 3 others years of contract at 6,25

Petry wouldve easily been worth a late 1st if he wasn't having a bad season. His contract wouldve also looked decent. Top 2 dman are valuable. If Hughes can convince other gms that its just an outlier year for Petry and not a decline, then Petry should still hold good value.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I think a trade to Washington could be a good fit for Petry. They have an older core so they should be all in at this point, plus they play a more offensive game which fits Petry's style.

We could take some salary back (such as Hagelin/Schultz/Jensen) to make it work cap wise.

Hagelin Schultz 2nd for Petry

Trade Lekhonen for 1st or 2nd + and play Hagelin in his spot.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Petry wouldve easily been worth a late 1st if he wasn't having a bad season. His contract wouldve also looked decent. Top 2 dman are valuable. If Hughes can convince other gms that its just an outlier year for Petry and not a decline, then Petry should still hold good value.
The only GM Hughes would have been able to convince has been fired and is no longer a GM.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hagelin Schultz 2nd for Petry

Trade Lekhonen for 1st or 2nd + and play Hagelin in his spot.
So 2 cap dumps and a 2nd for Petry. We aren't trading Petry for a 2nd or else he would have been gone already. Hughes will want his proper value instead of just selling low on him. The only difference now is that we would need to take an expensive contract back too.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
So 2 cap dumps and a 2nd for Petry. We aren't trading Petry for a 2nd or else he would have been gone already. Hughes will want his proper value instead of just selling low on him. The only difference now is that we would need to take an expensive contract back too.

Petry is a cap dump right now too.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
I know he's been playing like hot garbage these past couple of games but that doesn't mean we have to trade him for some.

The offers you guys are making are ridiculous. Petry is in the top 20 for points produced in the last 5 years by NHL defensemen, and out of all those 20, he has also a much higher combined HITS/Blocked shots ratio than all of them, implying he's better defensively than other point producing Dmen.

The habs have always been below average on offense on all his years here, with no superstars. 1 bad year on the worst team in the league with the most games missed due to injury does not a career make.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Why not just wait and have him regain his value? It's highly unlikely that the guy who has been great for many years and was a top 10 dman last year all of a sudden forgets how to play hockey? What's the rush of getting 2 cap dumps and a late 2nd?

That's what I suggested in another thread.

Jeff Petry for a first rounder a D prospect?

I was replying to the person who suggest a trade to Washington. I don't think they'd give us much right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad