Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 63

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I know he's been playing like hot garbage these past couple of games but that doesn't mean we have to trade him for some.

The offers you guys are making are ridiculous. Petry is in the top 20 for points produced in the last 5 years by NHL defensemen, and out of all those 20, he has also a much higher combined HITS/Blocked shots ratio than all of them, implying he's better defensively than other point producing Dmen.

The habs have always been below average on offense on all his years here, with no superstars. 1 bad year on the worst team in the league with the most games missed due to injury does not a career make.
Couple of games????
All year he has been horrible.
He has single handedly plummeted his trade value with his moping attitude.
We can't expect much of anything in return at this point except addition by subtraction of his toxic energy.

I miss bloody eyes Petry.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
People saying Petry is basically a cap dump are on drugs

He looked Norris calibre last year, he is just on the worst team in the NHL right now

This year's an anomalie and GMs know better. Off course they will use the situation to negociate but if a team has a specific needs for a top 4 RD, they will pay. Based on his age though, i think there is a risk and we would need to retain on him. And i'm perfectly fine with that.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Who would have predicted this time last year that Chiarot would be worth more than Petry in a trade? Definitely not me. Looking to see who ends up actually fetching more though.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
Who would have predicted this time last year that Chiarot would be worth more than Petry in a trade? Definitely not me. Looking to see who ends up actually fetching more though.
Difference is that one is only 30 and his contract is up this summer, so teams can use him as a rental for a push. His contract is easy to fit under the cap, and he is still in his prime.

The market is going to be much smaller for a 34 years old defenseman on the decline who is signed at 6.25M$ until 2025. Much harder to fit under the cap, for a guy who MIGHT be a good top 4 dman if he gets his act together.

Its for the same reason Lekhonen probably has more value than Gallagher right now, despite producing less the past couple of seasons.

Reactions: Vachon23 and Doc5

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Difference is that one is only 30 and his contract is up this summer, so teams can use him as a rental for a push. His contract is easy to fit under the cap, and he is still in his prime.

The market is going to be much smaller for a 34 years old defenseman on the decline who is signed at 6.25M$ until 2025. Much harder to fit under the cap, for a guy who MIGHT be a good top 4 dman if he gets his act together.

Its for the same reason Lekhonen probably has more value than Gallagher right now, despite producing less the past couple of seasons.

Agree that the contract situation makes Chiarot more enticing to team but disagree that he is on the decline. Petry has been on of our most consistent players and improving each year up until last year. This year it's like he's a completely different player, I don't just attribute it to decline. He is definitely dealing with off-ice issues or a persisting injury. If he still sucks next year then we can start to talk about decline though.

Gallagher I agree. We're stuck with that contract most likely.

Reactions: Mandalorian

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Petry value's right now must be around a 2nd and a 5th+ a B prospect at 20% retention.

Just think about how little 34 years old Mike Green fetched.

Despite an awful season, I think Petry is more highly regarded as someone that can help a team in the playoffs as a top 4 D than Green was at age 34. If the Habs don't happen to get a decent return at the deadline, someone will likely give us a decent return in the offseason when 31 teams are competing to get a top 4 right shooting Dman.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Petry value's right now must be around a 2nd and a 5th+ a B prospect at 20% retention.

NHL GMs don't value players like fans do, in short samples.

Ultimately, a team that wants Petry is going to have to pay for the player he's proven to be for most of his career, which is a solid top 4 puck moving Dman who can chip in 40pts a year and play 22+ mins a game.

There's a lot of value in that...the tricky part is the salary and term.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Despite an awful season, I think Petry is more highly regarded as someone that can help a team in the playoffs as a top 4 D than Green was at age 34. If the Habs don't happen to get a decent return at the deadline, someone will likely give us a decent return in the offseason when 31 teams are competing to get a top 4 right shooting Dman.
When Green was traded, he was UFA so they where not stock with him if he doesn't work and they could negotiate the deal they wanted with him if he was working. If Petry was UFA this summer, his value would be high but with 3 other years left it will be tougher to work a big return

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Don't think Petry gets traded until maybe after Montreal pays the first 3M bonus. Hopefully he has good value and teams ignored this season's play, the return would be very important for rebuild. Hopefully a lottery protected 1st + young RD

Frankly for the deadline, I'm worried about Chiarot's value. He's been brutally bad lately and as much as you think teams overlook +/-...he's -41 over last 82 games. Hopefully Hughes bites now if there is a team offering a low 1st out there. Lehkonen luckily is one of the few guys actually boosting their value this year. Hopefully Hughes can get something good.

Paul Byron hopefully can get into form, feel like next season he could fetch a 2nd rounder if he's icetime gets a bit of inflating. I'd tell Drouin he's going to be a C and play him as #2 C next season. If we're lucky, team might see him as a C too and trade 2nd+ for him.

Whatever happens, hopefully the organization can rack up a lot of picks in 2022/2023 along with hopefully Wright+Michov/Bedard

Last edited:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
When Green was traded, he was UFA so they where not stock with him if he doesn't work and they could negotiate the deal they wanted with him if he was working. If Petry was UFA this summer, his value would be high but with 3 other years left it will be tougher to work a big return

I get that. That's why I said if we don't get a good return, just wait for the offseason to move him. Look what Ristolainen went for. It will also give Petry a chance to get some rest before playing for his new team.

Reactions: Vachon23

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, that will be difficult to move before the trade deadline IMO. Unless Petry really turns it around and sells a team in a contention window that he can be a game changer this season. I do think he's easily movable in the offseason though. His game has aged well and I don't see it falling off over the remaining term of his contract (obviously with the exception of this season).

Reactions: Vachon23

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Any thoughts on Owen Tippett? Haven't seen much of him in since the WJC, but he's supposedly on the market.
I watched few games. Nice wrist shot, but slow as ***. I know why Panthers want to sell him. They gonna have a better return if they wait to much. Already 22 yo… young the limit is close

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The entire Petry situation is frustrating. He's struggling and clearly disgrunlted. He's still the guy he was last year and years prior but if we try to move him now before he recovers, other GM's are going to want to take advantage. No doubt in my mind he is still valued but yeah, they will try to acquire for cheap and then laugh in your face afterwards. Look at how long it took us to move Patch and he was a pending UFA vs someone who just signed a contract.

Hoping Petry situation settles where he can play in piece and regain his confidence. Trying to move him now won't go well IMO.

Reactions: Mandalorian

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Any thoughts on Owen Tippett? Haven't seen much of him in since the WJC, but he's supposedly on the market.

I'd love to see the Habs get him. A skilled young forward with size who was a top 10 pick a few years back. He would be ready for a top 6 role in our lineup right away. A far better asset than a late 1st round pick.

Not sure if Chiarot would be enough to get Tippett though. The Panthers have invested a lot in Tippett. Denisenko's another young Panther forward to consider.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Clearly, Petry has value

No doubt he is still valued yes but GM's lurking around like vultures trying to take advantage. They would love for us to retain and take less value back and that's when they call. Petry is still a very effective top 4D and no GM thinks otherwise. Question is do they want to play nice to acquire and give fair value in return.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
No doubt he is still valued yes but GM's lurking around like vultures trying to take advantage. They would love for us to retain and take less value back and that's when they call. Petry is still a very effective top 4D and no GM thinks otherwise. Question is do they want to play nice to acquire.
Bingo ! Yes he got value but don't expect 1st pick or a Grade A prospect

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The entire Petry situation is frustrating. He's struggling and clearly disgrunlted. He's still the guy he was last year and years prior but if we try to move him now before he recovers, other GM's are going to want to take advantage. No doubt in my mind he is still valued but yeah, they will try to acquire for cheap and then laugh in your face afterwards. Look at how long it took us to move Patch and he was a pending UFA vs someone who just signed a contract.

Hoping Petry situation settles where he can play in piece and regain his confidence. Trying to move him now won't go well IMO.
I think Petry situation gets dealt with this summer personally.

Also wanted to ask you...after hearing Price at his press conference, still think other teams would show interest?

Remember I told a few weeks back, he's got chronic knee & hip issues. It's not exactly a secret.

If getting rid of Price and his contract is the wet dream everyone makes it out to be here, the most likely resolution will come via LTIR.

Reactions: Archijerej
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad