Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Top 4 D is 2nd pair, and PEtry is our no.3, so Markov, Emelin or Beaulieu all can fill that 4 spot. If none of them can fill the no.2 role then we need a no.2. But we do not need another top 4 D. That is like having 12 guys for the ottom 6, MB needs to stop it.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
And you know this how? Smooth skating D that was drafted high and has a sweet contract. Yea he is trash and worth nothing.

I wonder if people even watch the games sometimes...

He has a lot of question marks because of his attitude and hockey sens. He didn't really improved since going pro.

His contract is not that good, maybe for this year, but he's arbitration available this summer.

He has the potential to be a top 4 d-man but he's turning 24 years old this year and he's still a bottom pairing d-man on a good/contending team. He could be valuable to a rebuilding team looking to have young players wanted to prove himself.

Last edited:

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
He has a lot of question marks because of his attitude and hockey sens. He didn't really improved since going pro.

His contract is not that good, maybe for this year, but he's arbitration available this summer.

He has the potential to be a top 4 d-man but he's turning 24 years old this year and he's still a bottom pairing d-man on a good/contending team. He could be valuable to a rebuilding team looking to have young players wanted to prove himself.

His attitude is fine.. it was an issue back in junior but it's improved a lot. On his next contract he will get somewhere in the 3 mill range so he would be attractive to a lot of teams. Can play anywhere from #3-6 really.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Interested in Minny's D situation. Any comparables to Spurgeon, Brodin and Scandella? Since they are not contenders yet we can trade for one of their Ds by giving them Juulsen+? I assume they wouldn't want Beaulieu back, as they would most likely lose him at the end of the year anyways.

In my book, Juulsen's a no-go. This is a stud in the near future for the Habs.

We have to remember, the Habs might be going all in, but you have to stay competitive for years to come. You can't aim to contend for two years and then have to start all over. Juulsen for me is a guy that will be key in the Habs' path to stay competitive in the future as well.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

We have to remember, the Habs might be going all in, but you have to stay competitive for years to come. You can't aim to contend for two years and then have to start all over. Juulsen for me is a guy that will be key in the Habs' path to stay competitive in the future as well.

I will take the opposite view, its time to start thinking about the cup and not what will happen in 2 or 3 years. If we have to sacrifice the future then MB needs to go for it becuase Price's contract is up soon and when we are paying him huge money its going to make things even more difficult. I would sacrafice a few rebuilding years if it meant the team won a cup. Boston won a cup and might miss the playoffs 3 years in a row but from my POV it was worth it for them.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
His attitude is fine.. it was an issue back in junior but it's improved a lot. On his next contract he will get somewhere in the 3 mill range so he would be attractive to a lot of teams. Can play anywhere from #3-6 really.

If Beaulieu is your 3rd best D, you are in serious trouble. Not a #4 either at this point, but he has some upside and things could change by the time the playoffs roll around.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I will take the opposite view, its time to start thinking about the cup and not what will happen in 2 or 3 years. If we have to sacrifice the future then MB needs to go for it becuase Price's contract is up soon and when we are paying him huge money its going to make things even more difficult. I would sacrafice a few rebuilding years if it meant the team won a cup. Boston won a cup and might miss the playoffs 3 years in a row but from my POV it was worth it for them.

nope it wasnt and will never be. You need a team capable of competing for the cup every single season. Instead of winning one cup, you can win multiple cups. Look at Chicago, thier core won them 3 cups. Pits, LA are all examples of winning and having a chance to win each season bcuz of their core pieces.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Juulsen shoots right , with Weber , petry , pateryn he is sure as hell tradable

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
People are seriously underrating Beaulieu this season. He had a great preseason (led our team in points). So far this season has only been on ice for one goal against in 9 games (none during 5 on 5 play). We've seen flashes of his offensive upside when he set up that Mitchell goal against Arizona, and he's generally very good at driving the play. He should be getting a lot more ice time to prove himself as a top 4 D.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Sergachev-Juulsen combo will be amazing.

Weber will also be around to teach them.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Top 4 D is 2nd pair, and PEtry is our no.3, so Markov, Emelin or Beaulieu all can fill that 4 spot. If none of them can fill the no.2 role then we need a no.2. But we do not need another top 4 D. That is like having 12 guys for the ottom 6, MB needs to stop it.

You don't have to play your defencemen as

1-2
3-4
5-6

Right now Weber is our #1 and plays on the first pair.... Petry is our 2nd best defenceman and anchors a second pairing.

Now I'm not saying Petry is this good, but Remember when Anaheim had Niedermayer and Pronger, they played very few minutes together at even strength.

We can line up

4 (?????) - 1 (Weber)
3 (Markov) - 2 (Petry)
5 (Emelin/Bealieu) - 6 (Pateryn)

Its a matter of who that ????? is, and likely needs to be a trade.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013

A couple nice games here and there doesnt make him a top 4 D. His consistency is still a huge problem and his fans need to start acknowledging he's not the stud they make him out to be, yet.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015

nope it wasnt and will never be. You need a team capable of competing for the cup every single season. Instead of winning one cup, you can win multiple cups. Look at Chicago, thier core won them 3 cups. Pits, LA are all examples of winning and having a chance to win each season bcuz of their core pieces.

Juulsen will be a good hockey player, but we can say that for most of our prospects. Do you think we can currently win with our team right now? Possibly if Price plays unbelievably well and just gives us the cup, but on paper, we still have a weak top 4 and would like to be better down the middle. The only way to do that, without giving back roster players is to give away part of our future.

You mention Chicago, but Chicago gave away Ladd, Byfuglien, Leddy, Saad, which are all good players so that they can get back pieces for their cup run. They kept their core of Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook and traded around to get the missing piece for the team. The last time they won the cup, they gave away a 1st for Vermette, who played on their third line. Is that a good deal? Heck no, but they won a cup in the end, so it was worth it.

We have a good core of Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Patches, Weber and Price and we now need to add to that so that we can hopefully win in the next two years. We have a few players that we can trade and try to upgrade at certain positions, but to do that we need to give them a good piece in return and even though that player might be a stud, we need to get a player for right now.

If we trade away Juulsen++ for Scandella/Brodin, he'll be able to be part of our core for at least the next 4 years (barring he re-signs with us). By then, we'll have the opportunity of getting other players like Juulsen that would be able to take over when Weber and Petry get older and become bottom 4 Ds.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Agreed with this. The Weber trade, plus Price's contract are dictating the next player moves. You move Juulsen and other like prospects to get the missing pieces that put you within close range of a Cup in the next 2 years otherwise the Weber acquisition will not have its full impact.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
One name that's out there is Jack Johnson, he's pretty Dion Phaneuf in the sense that he's a all tools no toolbox type of defenseman but he remains a good top four defenseman in my books.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sadly, Juulsen is also afflicted with the brittle man syndrome. His concussion history invites caution and a greater assumption of risk than with an otherwise similar player.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Weber should be matched up with a more mobile PMD. Brodin had 7 points last year, you should be able to get more than that by accident when you play 20+ minutes on a playoff team.

Brodin doesn't put up massive points but hes a mobile defensive D, he can skate and pass well, he also has good decision making. Hjalmarsson type dman.

He's been playing top pairing/defensive minutes (vs top lines and a lot of d-zone draws) for Minny since his 1st season in the NHL (at 20).

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Sadly, Juulsen is also afflicted with the brittle man syndrome. His concussion history invites caution and a greater assumption of risk than with an otherwise similar player.

Yeah, the funny thing about brain injuries is there is no way to tell the damage. I really hope this is behind him, but that past history worries me also.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
You don't have to play your defencemen as

1-2
3-4
5-6

Right now Weber is our #1 and plays on the first pair.... Petry is our 2nd best defenceman and anchors a second pairing.

Now I'm not saying Petry is this good, but Remember when Anaheim had Niedermayer and Pronger, they played very few minutes together at even strength.

We can line up

4 (?????) - 1 (Weber)
3 (Markov) - 2 (Petry)
5 (Emelin/Bealieu) - 6 (Pateryn)

Its a matter of who that ????? is, and likely needs to be a trade.

The team is winning and Weber is looking great, Petry also is playing very solid hockey. Emelin is having a top notch start in my books. I don't think Beaulieu has been as bad as some portray, but he does make these doozy bonehead plays. Pateryn quite good and Markov fine. So to me the D is looking quite good.

However it looks like MB has a concern and we want to recreate the Josi-Weber tandem as best we can. That explains MBs interest in Fowler. No question he would be a great addition.

What I don't get is the top 4 D man talk and interest. We have 3 guys who can pass as no.4s on the team. Why bother getting another one. If you want a mobile guy then Beaulieu Weber is the pairing and hope Beaulieu develops better sense as the year goes on. I mean it isn't that Beaulieu is minus 5 or anything. If not. then see who is available at the TDL. I would rather MB focus at improving the center depth.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
How about a guy like Brodin? Wasn't he supposed to have been on the market last year.

Solid, good skater with smarts and did very well with Suter when they played together. Could be a great fit with Weber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad