Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gallagher, Sergachev and a 1st

For

Duschene and 500k retained]

This is a desperate and terrible trade for the Habs IMO.

- I love Gally but at this point, you know what you have and it would be a sell high type of situation with him. He's the guy your going to get a good return for and the depth at RW is good (if Radulov is re-signed). Radulov, Gally, Shaw, McCarron, Scherbak. Gally is UFA in 4.5 years.

- Trading Sergachev at this point is a huge mistake. This could be Ryan M for Gomez round 2! How many top 10 picks have the Habs had over the last 10-15 years? Not many! You don't give up on these types of assets for a guy who is UFA in 2.5 seasons. If you do, you better get a serious return with term to their contract!

Lets look at the Gomez trade and remember what kind of player Gomez was before he was traded!... It was Gomez, Tom Pyatt, Mike Busto for McDonagh, Pavel Valentenko, Christopher Higgins. Some people are going to flip out but Gomez (before the trade) and Duchene (today) are very similar players when you compare them. Some people are going to focus on the "hindsight" though. Duchene may never fall like Gomez did but he might? Do you really want take that risk? I like Duchene, but I would prefer more control over his contract. UFA in 2.5 years scares me big time!

Look at it this way... Gally (UFA in 4.5 years) is close to Duchene (UFA in 2.5 years). Duchene is clearly the better player but the contract status closes the gap a bit. Colorado is also looking for defenseman. A more closer value is Juulsen (later 1st round pick), Gally (UFA in 4.5 seasons) for Duchene (UFA in 2.5 seasons).. The Ave's likely don't accept this so if you add a 2nd round or 1st round pick, then you overpay but it makes the Ave's think more about it. Keep Sergachev out of it!

If you want to trade Sergachev, try to get both Duchene and Landeskog in a packaged deal.
Gally (UFA in 2.5 seasons), 1st round pick = Landeskog (UFA in 4.5 seasons)
Sergachev, Scherbak, Plekanec = Duchene (UFA in 2.5 seasons)

Habs overpay IMO, but getting both players changes the entire look of the Habs top 9! It makes them a serious threat to win a Cup!

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Hum, because he's a honest player, but not a star who is easily tradable for an upgrade.

He is most certainly not easily tradeable.

Shaw fill a similar role and we need more top 6 players (especially a top center)

Shaw doesn't fill a similar role to Gallagher. Brendan is significantly better. And there can be more than one pest on the team.

If you wanna get something valuable
You have to give something just as good.

Won't get a player like Duchesne for a pack of overrated spare parts.
There's no other position we can "afford" to lose one top 6 player.
With Radulov and Shaw (If Radu resign), then Gallagher might become the "sacrifice" that the GM must make in order to fix our top 6 center problem.

A 2nd RW problem is much easier to fix.......

We are giving up something valuable. Sergachyov. Shaw isn't a top 6 forward, he's a tweener, Gallagher on the other hand, most assuredly is at worst a 2nd liner.

Blackhawks.
Shaw traded to Habs this summer......

Because of cap issues and again he and Gallagher aren't on the same level.

What's most amusing is that 15 games into the season people were calling for Shaw's head and now he makes Gallagher expendable :laugh:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He is most certainly not easily tradeable.

Shaw doesn't fill a similar role to Gallagher. Brendan is significantly better. And there can be more than one pest on the team.

We are giving up something valuable. Sergachyov. Shaw isn't a top 6 forward, he's a tweener, Gallagher on the other hand, most assuredly is at worst a 2nd liner.

What's most amusing is that 15 games into the season people were calling for Shaw's head and now he makes Gallagher expendable :laugh:
Yep, what at you done me lately mentality at its finest. :shakehead

It's ironic because I recall one particular poster, HiggsBozon, actually advocating that we trade Gallagher the last few years and people were ready to crucify him for even suggesting such a thing...

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I don't think barginbin will trade a roster player for an nhl player.

When we buying, trading deadline was mostly picks for players so expect the same.

Vanek was traded for pick and prospect
Petry was traded for pick
Flynn for pick
Mitchell for pick
Weaver for pick
Dubnyk for future consideration

So we are looking for expiring contract for picks. Martin Hanzal etc.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

When we buying, trading deadline was mostly picks for players so expect the same.

Flynn for pick
Mitchell for pick
Weaver for pick

This is true but the "etc" is not great options this year for expiring UFA contracts.

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site

Flynn for pick
Mitchell for pick
Weaver for pick

You don't trade roster players while in playoff contention unless he's a 4th liner.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would we trade Gallagher? Seriously, can someone explain to me why a team like Montreal would trade away a guy like Gallagher? I'd really like to know the reasoning.

It's because you have to give to get in any major trade and the depth on RW is very good. I don't think anybody really wants to trade him but he can potentially get the Habs that 2nd line Center in a package deal.

If Subban can be traded to address a need (defensive presence), then Gally can be traded to address another need. A 2ND LINE CENTER BEHIND GALCHENYUK. Habs are not winning a cup without a solid 2nd line center that can win face offs, won't be pushed around like Pleky, and can provide some offense..

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Change Sergachev for Scherbak or even Juulsen and I'm listening.

Sergachev to me is untouchable unless you're getting a superstar back.

Agreed! You would have to make is Juulsen though. Ave's need D! The issue is the Ave's and Habs may not be a good fit. Ave's probably want Sergachev and that's not happening. After Sergachev, the other options are Beaulieu and Juulsen. Would the Ave's be interested? Not sure.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Ridiculous.

Sergachev is not a superstar and to expect one back in return is ludicrous.

It used to be pretty common to trade blue chip prospects with high ceilings for aging super stars. So, to expect that for Sergachev is far from ridiculous imo.

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Juulsen and your 1st round pick for Bryan Little,and if you win the cup and cannot resign Little trade him in the off season you will recoup some of what you lost to acquire him.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Juulsen and your 1st round pick for Bryan Little,and if you win the cup and cannot resign Little trade him in the off season you will recoup some of what you lost to acquire him.

Little would be a great addition but I think he doesn't add a dynamic that this team needs. He fills what Galchenyuk does already. I'd rather go after someone more physical to centre the 2nd line. Or with way more speed if he isn't physical.

Plus, the Jets need him. They'd drafted a lot of quality wingers and need their centremen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I very much doubt Bergevin will dangle a first rounder -- his record shows he's more inclined to move 2nd round picks at the TDL.

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
By the time Sergachev develops, the Leafs will be a powerhouse and our core players will be on the decline, there's hardly anything else in the pipeline that would suggest they could replace our current core players. We need to go all in this year and the next, Sergachev is our best trade asset, we need to parlay last season's failure to acquire immediate help.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
What is a heart and soul type of player anyway? I always thought it was "the face of the franchise" Someone who would make the team look better with his presence and someone who could make the team look like **** with his absence. The player that could make the difference between winning and losing. Someone like Saku Koivu...we always had a chance to win when he was in the lineup and knew that the team was done the minute he was injured.

Did I get it right or are we talking more of a Josh Gorges type of player? A lot of useless talking and hardwork but doesn't make a whole lot of difference on the ice.

Or something in between?

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's talking about a package that includes Sergachev, not a 1 for 1 swap
Michangelo was responding to one part of the post though and I agree with him. Sergachev isn't worth a superstar, he hasn't proven anything yet. An aging vet? Sure. But that's not the same thing as a superstar.

David25

Nov 22, 2016
Rhetorical question. Can Shaw or Danault be your number 2 center behind Galchenyuk?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Please, Shaw is inferior to Gallagher. The only examples that really come to mind are Smyth (who was a rental) and Callahan (also a rental) & both of them had a lot mileage.

Just saying that he was a heart and soul guy traded in his prime.

At least i don't feel so alone in the category of : How the **** Shaw is having a better contract than Gallagher.

You don't get it.
It got nothing to do with Gallagher's play actually....let say Radulov doesn't sign long-term here, then Gallagher become an untouchable.

I'm not advocating for the trade of Gallagher, but if you have Radulov, Gallagher and Shaw signed to long term contract on the RW...That's where you got value which you can use to upgrade somewhere else.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
How do we sell high on Gallagher when he is playing at the lowest level of his career? Lul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad