HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I was talking about Dawson Mercer, not Zegras. But the point still stands with Zegras also, the price to acquire them would be more expecnsive than it cost Habs to get Newhook.

However, you never know if they decide to target a bigger fish who might be more expensive, but fits into the age group of the core players.
Yeah, sorry, I should have added Mercer in my reply. Same as the other two: price will be high as he did perform well in the pass. Their respective team have no incentive to give them away at a discount.

You are right, KH may surprise us, but I would think that if he's gona pay "the price" it is not going to be for a players with question marks or a questionable contract. Given that, I'm not sure that Zegras or Mercer would be best fit in that mind set.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Why can't we trade Matheson ? He's the odd man out age wise and he's exclusively a LD. He'd bring back a fair amount on the trade market. He also plays the strongest position of the organisation. We'd still be 5 man deep without him. Guhle-Xhekaj-Harris-Struble-Hutson-Norlinder-Trudeau is still very deep. All these guys can play a shift in the NHL and most of these can be actual regulars.
I wouldn’t say you can’t trade him but he is definitely our best D, we are deep because he is pushing guys down not because Harris is a dominant top 4. he just turn 30 and elite skater so I don’t see is value plummeting and he has probably one of the best contract in the league and want to play here. There no reason to rush to move out of town... The only question is what can you get for him because most team that could use him don’t have what we need available. If other guys are able to take ice time away from him that means our D is improving, Also not sure Guhle able to fill those shoes for 82games starting next year if Matheson is traded.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I wouldn’t say you can’t trade him but he is definitely our best D, we are deep because he is pushing guys down not because Harris is a dominant top 4. he just turn 30 and elite skater so I don’t see is value plummeting and he has probably one of the best contract in the league and want to play here. There no reason to rush to move out of town... The only question is what can you get for him because most team that could use him don’t have what we need available. If other guys are able to take ice time away from him that means our D is improving, Also not sure Guhle able to fill those shoes for 82games starting next year if Matheson is traded.
Guhle has been the main defensive option for more than a year now... The only thing he's not getting is the easy offensive matchups and PK duties.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Guhle has been the main defensive option for more than a year now... The only thing he's not getting is the easy offensive matchups and PK duties.
Ok let say Guhle take all of Matheson minutes and the team isn’t skipping a beat, how confident are you that the next guy up can take all of Guhle minute and that the next guy can also step up… if the guys under Matheson could handle more minute they would…

The biggest question remains what will you get for him? 2 years at 4.8M$ top 15 D in basically all stats, skating and size.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Ill say it for a thousand time again, but Guhle has outproduced Matheson at 5v5. Hutson is probably a top 10 powerplay QB in the world, today. The question isn't if he can run a PP, the question is if he can survive the rest of the game. We also don't know if anyone else can run the PP, because Matheson has hogged almost all the powerplay time. Matheson is a good player when used intelligently, one thing he is not is essential to any team. He's just not that player.
I get you, we have lots of other young players that could replace him, but there are lots of questions mark still. So it all boil down to timing.

Dont get me wrong, I'm a firm believer of asset management, so if a "too good to be true" deal comes for him, you pull the trigger, but if you ask me to predict what is likely to happen, I would say that the odds of Matheson being here next season are pretty high for all the reason already discussed.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ok let say Guhle take all of Matheson minutes and the team isn’t skipping a beat, how confident are you that the next guy up can take all of Guhle minute and that the next guy can also step up… if the guys under Matheson could handle more minute they would…

The biggest question remains what will you get for him? 2 years at 4.8M$ top 15 D in basically all stats, skating and size.
I mean, they did last year and barely missed a beat.

Is it too hard to imagine Hutson coming in, getting Mathesons PP time + 12 minutes at ES, plus the rest of the squad taking the remaining 5 ES and 2 PK minutes ? Thats 7 minutes distributed through 5 players.

I get you, we have lots of other young players that could replace him, but there are lots of questions mark still. So it all boil down to timing.

Dont get me wrong, I'm a firm believer of asset management, so if a "too good to be true" deal comes for him, you pull the trigger, but if you ask me to predict what is likely to happen, I would say that the odds of Matheson being here next season are pretty high for all the reason already discussed.
Oh he's gonna be here for sure. I'm just saying he shouldn't be.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not according to the games I have been watching.

The pair countering the other team's first line is almost always one of Savard-Matheson or Guhle-Matheson.

Matheson also has 50% more SH time per game than Guhle so if Guhle were considered by the coaching staff to be the better defender, that would not be the case.

Finally, Matheson is 24th league-wide in EV points. Guhle is not there yet.

The +/- for Matheson and Guhle at 5v5 is the same (-11) so Guhle's is slightly worse per minute played.

Matheson's biggest contributor to his big minus rating this year is a -13 net in ENG situations.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I hope they send Pezzetta in Laval next year, he's not protecting our young player, we need someone to help Xhekaj.

I would try to get one of these 2 player on the UFA market this summer: Matt Martin or Liam O'brien.

O'brien is younger but Matt Martin is one tough SOB.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
First thing we need to do is win the lottery. Then sign Reinheart or if not possible Guentzel.

Use what ever combo necessary of Winnipeg 1st , Calgary 1st, kovacevic, Harris , Barron , struble etc. necessary to get rid of Gallagher (even though I love him ) , Anderson and Dvorak. This is in order to make the cap work.

Then: (assuming pens miss the playoffs and Crosby is pissed). Trade 2025 1st unprotected for Crosby . Also target a veteran RD like Larsson or Chychrun as rentals w some 2cnds.

Lines :

Slaf(back on his natural LW)- Suzuki -Reinheart
CC - Crosby- Dach
Newhook- Cellebrini- Roy/Army
X-Evans- Army/Roy

On D run whoever is left after the trades and let Mailloux , Reinbacher and Hutson start in the A and make the team as they Mature .

Matheson - Savard/mailloux/reinbacher
Ghule - Larsson/Mailloux/Reinbacher
X - Savard/Larsson/Mailloux/Reinbacher
Hutson

Boom, rebuild over ;) trade our first for a rental every year until we lose Suzuki or the team otherwise falls apart
First I hear from my nephew that he suffers from Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS) and then I read this post. Damn it, someone needs to talk to Trudeau and have him regulate cutting back on the potency of Canadian grass.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
First I hear from my nephew that he suffers from Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS) and then I read this post. Damn it, someone needs to talk to Trudeau and have him regulate cutting back on the potency of Canadian grass.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Rozz

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Celebrini, Demidov or Lindstrom are the 3 forwards if available Im taking. If they are off the board Im ok trading our pick for Zegras
Jeeze, man, all three?! Talk about greed. Leave at least one of the three for the other losers.:sarcasm:

Please preach this more. We don’t need Zegras.
You say that now but what happens when Gallagher and Armia are gone and Barron develops into a stud D-man? We'll have no one to bitch about.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I hope they send Pezzetta in Laval next year, he's not protecting our young player, we need someone to help Xhekaj.

I would try to get of these 2 player on the UFA market this summer: Matt Martin or Liam O'brien.

O'brien is younger but Matt Martin is one tough SOB.
Tbf to Pezzetta he isn't a goon. He's a grinder who can take care of himself and tries to stick up for his teammates.

Hopefully there will be enough talent on the roster to justify sending him down or keeping him as a 13th F.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
With guys like Hutson and Caufield we're going to need to have some more size elsewhere in the lineup.

Maybe Tuch? I'm sure he'll get his chance in preseason. Gallagher's resurgence has given me hope Anderson can find his game again next season. He can definitely use the summer as a mental break, god knows he can use the extra time to clear his mind after this year.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
With guys like Hutson and Caufield we're going to need to have some more size elsewhere in the lineup.

Maybe Tuch? I'm sure he'll get his chance in preseason. Gallagher's resurgence has given me hope Anderson can find his game again next season. He can definitely use the summer as a mental break, god knows he can use the extra time to clear his mind after this year.
that is the point that has been made many times. WIFI can't be the only big player on the team.
KH needs tougher wingers to help out

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Honestly, Gallagher scoring 15 in just 13:47 of average ice time, 14 at ES (hardly any PP time anymore, which is great) is the best we could have hoped for. A vet in the bottom six who battles hard while still producing decently in the games (ignore the cap hit :ha:) - check

Armia scoring 17 in 65 games is solid middle six production - check.

So yeah, Anderson coming around enough to either help a lot or at least be tradeable would be the Trifecta.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Honestly, Gallagher scoring 15 in just 13:47 of average ice time, 14 at ES (hardly any PP time anymore, which is great) is the best we could have hoped for. A vet in the bottom six who battles hard while still producing decently in the games (ignore the cap hit :ha:) - check

Armia scoring 17 in 65 games is solid middle six production - check.

So yeah, Anderson coming around enough to either help a lot or at least be tradeable would be the Trifecta.
I think a big problem has been those players needing to take on roles they can't handle.

Ideally we have a proper 2nd line next season because we really went the year with a 1st line, 2 3rd lines, and an AHL line as the 4th.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
habs will make a HUGE trade at the draft or in the summer. It will happen, book it
I don't see a trade happening at the draft but after UFA day. Habs still have lots of draft picks and young D to trade.

Right now we have :

LHD RHD
Matheson Savard
Guhle Barron
Xhekaj Kovacevic
Struble Harris

We have no spots available for Hutson, Reinbacher or Mailloux. While i'm pretty sure they will want one of them to make the club from the camp, we absolutely have to trade 2 Ds in the off-season.

Reactions: sampollock

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I don't see a trade happening at the draft but after UFA day. Habs still have lots of draft picks and young D to trade.

Right now we have :

LHD RHD
Matheson Savard
Guhle Barron
Xhekaj Kovacevic
Struble Harris

We have no spots available for Hutson, Reinbacher or Mailloux. While i'm pretty sure they will want one of them to make the club from the camp, we absolutely have to trade 2 Ds in the off-season.
I still think the peg pick gets moved for a goal scorer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad