HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Rutger McGroarty sounds like a great "accelerate the rebuild" candidate if we could trade him for picks, B level prospect or players who are not part of our future core.
It is just interesting that he already announced his return to NCAA. He could have just waited if he wants to be traded in the summer, right?
Like I said earlier I would offer Logan Mailloux for him. Winnipeg could need a RD

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I have not problem going with Mailloux personally. Not sure I want both Hutson and Mailloux in the same team
As long as you dont play them on the same duo... should be ok ;)

Seriously tho, Mailloux or Barron you are facing the same flaws: decision making and defensive play. They both are supposed to be fast skater and offensively minded. I would personally prefer Mailloux for the "edge" he can bring some times - he's not always physical, but he can be meaner then Barron. Mailloux also has better shot then Barron. So...i'm incline to perfer Mailloux over Barron in general. That said, if to get a blue chip forward you need to give Mailloux (and can't pass Barron) then it is a no brainer.

Down the road tho, Hutson and having one of Mailloux/Barron is not the problem. They need partners that can complement them. Would a Hutson/Reinbacher duo be goog? Can Wifi play as well with Mailloux in the NHL as in the AHL??? where does Guhle, Struble, etc fit after?? Next training camp will be quite interesting to see.

Reactions: Vachon23

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
i could definitely see HuGo target another young player this summer but pass on Veleno we need to aim higher then that

Pittsburgh has a few interesdting otpions for the bottom 6. I'd take a shot at Poulin to fill in that spot on the fourth line. He'd bring size and skill, plus he'd have fun with RHP. Zohorna and Puuistinen are the two others Id like to pursue. Cheap but effective additions, plus Pittsburgh would like accept 3rd picks for them.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
As long as you dont play them on the same duo... should be ok ;)

Seriously tho, Mailloux or Barron you are facing the same flaws: decision making and defensive play. They both are supposed to be fast skater and offensively minded. I would personally prefer Mailloux for the "edge" he can bring some times - he's not always physical, but he can be meaner then Barron. Mailloux also has better shot then Barron. So...i'm incline to perfer Mailloux over Barron in general. That said, if to get a blue chip forward you need to give Mailloux (and can't pass Barron) then it is a no brainer.

Down the road tho, Hutson and having one of Mailloux/Barron is not the problem. They need partners that can complement them. Would a Hutson/Reinbacher duo be goog? Can Wifi play as well with Mailloux in the NHL as in the AHL??? where does Guhle, Struble, etc fit after?? Next training camp will be quite interesting to see.
Personally, I want Reinbacher-Guhle as 1st pair Duo who can eat minutes and play against other team best lines.

A physical solid defensively RD to play with Huston

And Xhekaj and whatever on the 3rd pair

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Jake Evans is as good as him and currently our 4C. No reasons to go for Veleno. What we really need is a decent option at RW to make that line complete.

Also a whole 3rd line.

Maybe Mercer from NJ or Necas from CAR? Both are RWs and both are RFA's.

Mercer coming out of his ELC, Necas coming off a bridge deal that paid him $3M AAV.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
There would be more, but it's a mutual decision and not a one-sided decision.

Also, Veleno sucks. As does Mark Kastelic, but I'd rather have Kastelic on the 4th line than Veleno.

Maybe Mercer from NJ or Necas from CAR? Both are RWs and both are RFA's.

Mercer coming out of his ELC, Necas coming off a bridge deal that paid him $3M AAV.
Basu-Godin touched on that as the Habs may have interest.

Necas will cost alot in terms of assets and contract.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If the habs think Hutson will make the team from camp, they will need to move at least one dman this summer. If we're trading for a pick, then Harris or Kovacevic would make the most sense.

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble, Harris, Kovacevic

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Personally, I want Reinbacher-Guhle as 1st pair Duo who can eat minutes and play against other team best lines.

A physical solid defensively RD to play with Huston

And Xhekaj and whatever on the 3rd pair
I would also prefer a first pair of Guhle/Reinbacher down the road. That said, we dont have that "perfect" partner for Hutson - I wish Xhekaj played RD.

I want Guhle back on his natural side asap too, which create a problem with Matheson, Xhekaj, Hutson, Struble and Harris. So the Q that I have is, given that we cant trade Matheson yet, and we need Xhekaj physicality can we trade one of Harris/Struble for that RD??

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Necas is rich for a 3rd line option IMO. If NJ is stupid enough to move off from Mercer we should be very hard on him.

In Necas' case, it would be more an acquisition to round out the Top-6.

And Mercer does have it in him to be a Top-6, as well. He did have 56 points last year and had 42 pts in his rookie year, which were better numbers than Dach and Newhook had before the Habs acquired them and both of them broke out with Montreal.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
If the habs think Hutson will make the team from camp, they will need to move at least one dman this summer. If we're trading for a pick, then Harris or Kovacevic would make the most sense.

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble, Harris, Kovacevic

Even with Hutson going to Laval next season, they need to trade one of Harris/Struble/Kova (maybe Barron?)

I don't want picks, I would prefer to leverage this for a top 6 forward or a physical RD with size and spd

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
In Necas' case, it would be more an acquisition to round out the Top-6.

And Mercer does have it in him to be a Top-6, as well. He did have 56 points last year and had 42 pts in his rookie year, which were better numbers than Dach and Newhook had before the Habs acquired them and both of them broke out with Montreal.
I dont see KH going for Necas or Zegras, not because of the talent, but because the price. MTL has lots of asset, but the roster dept is poor. I'm incline to think he'll either pull the trigger on a similar deal as Newhook, around the draft or wait until a similar occasion present itself.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I would also prefer a first pair of Guhle/Reinbacher down the road. That said, we dont have that "perfect" partner for Hutson - I wish Xhekaj played RD.

I want Guhle back on his natural side asap too, which create a problem with Matheson, Xhekaj, Hutson, Struble and Harris. So the Q that I have is, given that we cant trade Matheson yet, and we need Xhekaj physicality can we trade one of Harris/Struble for that RD??
Why can't we trade Matheson ? He's the odd man out age wise and he's exclusively a LD. He'd bring back a fair amount on the trade market. He also plays the strongest position of the organisation. We'd still be 5 man deep without him. Guhle-Xhekaj-Harris-Struble-Hutson-Norlinder-Trudeau is still very deep. All these guys can play a shift in the NHL and most of these can be actual regulars.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I dont see KH going for Necas or Zegras, not because of the talent, but because the price. MTL has lots of asset, but the roster dept is poor. I'm incline to think he'll either pull the trigger on a similar deal as Newhook, around the draft or wait until a similar occasion present itself.

I was talking about Dawson Mercer, not Zegras. But the point still stands with Zegras also, the price to acquire them would be more expecnsive than it cost Habs to get Newhook.

However, you never know if they decide to target a bigger fish who might be more expensive, but fits into the age group of the core players.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Why can't we trade Matheson ? He's the odd man out age wise and he's exclusively a LD. He'd bring back a fair amount on the trade market. He also plays the strongest position of the organisation. We'd still be 5 man deep without him. Guhle-Xhekaj-Harris-Struble-Hutson-Norlinder-Trudeau is still very deep. All these guys can play a shift in the NHL and most of these can be actual regulars.
Short term, you have no proven D that can do what he does: run the 1PP, support the offense. It woudn't be a problem if the goal next year is to be in the mix for the playoff. but given the stated objectives... I dont think Management will risk going into next season without an "as good" offensive D.

Now should one emerge (Hutson, Mailloux, etc...) then yeah I can see Matheson being traded, but this remains a risk as this would mean a very young D group.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Short term, you have no proven D that can do what he does: run the 1PP, support the offense. It woudn't be a problem if the goal next year is to be in the mix for the playoff. but given the stated objectives... I dont think Management will risk going into next season without an "as good" offensive D.

Now should one emerge (Hutson, Mailloux, etc...) then yeah I can see Matheson being traded, but this remains a risk as this would mean a very young D group.
Ill say it for a thousand time again, but Guhle has outproduced Matheson at 5v5. Hutson is probably a top 10 powerplay QB in the world, today. The question isn't if he can run a PP, the question is if he can survive the rest of the game. We also don't know if anyone else can run the PP, because Matheson has hogged almost all the powerplay time. Matheson is a good player when used intelligently, one thing he is not is essential to any team. He's just not that player.

Reactions: Rozz and Heffyhoof

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad