Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- we only have two 20+ scorers in our team now
- he is an undrafted player with 600+ games in NHL
- Stanley Cup champion, Conn Smythe
- kid from Quebec

I think he can still contribute in next couple season and be 20+ goals player in MTL. He is that kind of vet you want in the team to build our culture and mentor young players like- Newhook, RHP, CC. We should get rid of Anderson, just trade him away for 7th round pick and bring a vet like Marchessault.

Seems like a band aide type signing to me in terms of how it fits the Habs. This is the type of move a contender should make IMO. A team who has solid depth up the middle and needs a scoring winger.

I know Anderson has been frustrating but no... I am not going down the "just get rid of him" narrative. Last thing we need is a bunch of smurfs on our team with lack of guys to protect our youth. Doubt Anderson finishes the contract with the Habs but there is lots of time to trade him.

Target Monahan over Marchessault. Helps with the physicality areas and he's familiar and knows our system

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I know Anderson has been frustrating but no... I am not going down the "just get rid of him" narrative. Last thing we need is a bunch of smurfs on our team with lack of guys to protect our youth.
Sure but Anderson doesn't do jack shit in that department either.

On the broader discussion about Marchessault, I don't think he's really a guy you acquire based on a development timeline to contribute to a future contending club, he's just a good top 6 forward and it's good to have real NHL players around to help put guys in positions to succeed. Before Slafkovsky emerged we had a revolving door of bad fits on the Suzuki-Caufield line, and with Roy injured Newhook is completely on an island right now with nobody else to help him out. I like the idea of having a player like Marchessault so that next year we have another good player to put with Dach and so that one injury doesn't put Anderson, Gallagher, or Armia back in the top 6.

It doesn't have to be Marchessault, but he's right around the age where players start to become realistic in their contract demands and are more willing to take 2-3 years which is about all we should be investing in UFAs who aren't meaningful long-term fits. I would also rather have Monahan for 2-3 years instead of Marchessault for 3 but I don't think that's happening. Monahan is going to be after a 4-5 year deal, I'd be very surprised to see him sign for 3 years unless it's a perfect spot with a contender at a higher dollar amount.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabzSauce and bcv

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
7,5 M $$$ X 3 seasons, minimum.

Hard no for me at anything close to that.

With CC, Newhook, Roy, I just don't see the fit for Marchessault over 3years at that kind of cap hit.

If he wants to be back in Quebec and part of the Habs transition to a playoff/cup contending team, it's gotta be at a team friendly deal... If he wants a last big pay day, someone else will likely give him that big UFA premium & good for him

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Why in Gods name do we need a player that old who by the time we can compete for a cup is done.

He is a proven winner and scores tons. Also the youth will need vets to lead them...

Habs challenging for playoff spot next year. You want seasoned veterans, you don't want to go all youth. He's only 33, scored 40 goals this season. Had couple decent years left.
This.

As long as the cap hit isn't too high then I would want him for sure.....Although I bet he ends up back in Florida....

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Target Monahan over Marchessault. Helps with the physicality areas and he's familiar and knows our system
I love Monahan but Marchessault is significantly grittier and more physical. The guy is an absolute bull dog. You put the puck in a corner and Marchessault comes out of it over Monahan every time. Neither player makes sense unless we win Celebrini.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Habs challenging for playoff spot next year. You want seasoned veterans, you don't want to go all youth. He's only 33, scored 40 goals this season. Had couple decent years left.
33+ isn’t usually prime years Stone being out provided better conditions for him to perform right now. He has a couple of decent season left but, he is on the decline. he will get paid prime dollars and he won’t be in is prime. He is probably top 5 of UFA this year but if you are signing him for 3-4 years you he won’t be the same player in 2-3 years when we will need him the most. He probably as no interest of signing in MTL anyway but the timeline just doesn’t fit for the team either. If they are going to sign a UFA for 3+ years We need a guy that is 27-29yo like Duclair, Debrusk, Teravainen, Monahan or Mantha they aren’t in the same tier but they might still have better seasons ahead of them or still be in the tail end of their prime when we are a playoff also they are better suited for the middle 6 if they can’t play top line and most importantly there contract will probably be better, signing Marchessault probably great short term but it might also handcuffs mtl going fw the next 2 year UFA could be even better Rantanen, Draisaitl, marner, Verhaghe, Konecny, Boeser, Ehlers / McDavid, kaprizov, Eichel, Kempe, Connors, Laine…can’t see many of them hitting the market but you never know…

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
33+ isn’t usually prime years Stone being out provided better conditions for him to perform right now. He has a couple of decent season left but, he is on the decline. he will get paid prime dollars and he won’t be in is prime. He is probably top 5 of UFA this year but if you are signing him for 3-4 years you he won’t be the same player in 2-3 years when we will need him the most. He probably as no interest of signing in MTL anyway but the timeline just doesn’t fit for the team either. If they are going to sign a UFA for 3+ years We need a guy that is 27-29yo like Duclair, Debrusk, Teravainen, Monahan or Mantha they aren’t in the same tier but they might still have better seasons ahead of them or still be in the tail end of their prime when we are a playoff also they are better suited for the middle 6 if they can’t play top line and most importantly there contract will probably be better, signing Marchessault probably great short term but it might also handcuffs mtl going fw the next 2 year UFA could be even better Rantanen, Draisaitl, marner, Verhaghe, Konecny, Boeser, Ehlers / McDavid, kaprizov, Eichel, Kempe, Connors, Laine…can’t see many of them hitting the market but you never know…
40 goals though and we don't have to give up nothing. Bring him back home, quality veteran with a ring.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Why in Gods name do we need a player that old who by the time we can compete for a cup is done.
To make our young players better obviously, and to give the fans value

Waiving armia now could be a sneaky way to get him claimed, if there is a playoff team that needs bottom 6 help and can afford him

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
To make our young players better obviously, and to give the fans value

Waiving armia now could be a sneaky way to get him claimed, if there is a playoff team that needs bottom 6 help and can afford him
Since January Armia has been one of the top 5 forwards on the ice quite consistently. Habs are not cap strapped, why move him ?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Since January Armia has been one of the top 5 forwards on the ice quite consistently. Habs are not cap strapped, why move him ?
Good asset management would be to determine if he's worth more to sell this summer or try holding onto him until the 2025 TDL but risk him coming back down to waiver-level prior to that.

I don't mind either way. I just want some churn and talent brought in.

Reactions: Rozz

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
- we only have two 20+ scorers in our team now
- he is an undrafted player with 600+ games in NHL
- Stanley Cup champion, Conn Smythe
- kid from Quebec

I think he can still contribute in next couple season and be 20+ goals player in MTL. He is that kind of vet you want in the team to build our culture and mentor young players like- Newhook, RHP, CC. We should get rid of Anderson, just trade him away for 7th round pick and bring a vet like Marchessault.
I do not like talking about politics but I don't think Marchessault has any desire to comeback to Canada. Only as last resort. He is from Quebec and he probably grew up hating the habs. Other than filling the franco quota I would pass. Monahan is a way better fit.

Reactions: Vachon23

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Good asset management would be to determine if he's worth more to sell this summer or try holding onto him until the 2025 TDL but risk him coming back down to waiver-level prior to that.

I don't mind either way. I just want some churn and talent brought in.
Even with his resurgence I doubt he's tradeable without using a retention slot, so it's not just a question of whether his value is maximized in the summer or the TDL, but the value of the retention slot. If we are planning on trading Dvorak/Savard at the TDL then from an asset management POV it makes more sense to hold onto the retention spot until the TDL.

Reactions: ReHabs

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Even with his resurgence I doubt he's tradeable without using a retention slot, so it's not just a question of whether his value is maximized in the summer or the TDL, but the value of the retention slot. If we are planning on trading Dvorak/Savard at the TDL then from an asset management POV it makes more sense to hold onto the retention spot until the TDL.
I think only having 1 retention spot left is also a bummer. I don't think we will find any taker for Dvorak, Armia, Savard and possibly Evans until near the trade deadline.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Hard no for me at anything close to that.

With CC, Newhook, Roy, I just don't see the fit for Marchessault over 3years at that kind of cap hit.

If he wants to be back in Quebec and part of the Habs transition to a playoff/cup contending team, it's gotta be at a team friendly deal... If he wants a last big pay day, someone else will likely give him that big UFA premium & good for him
I get the feeling our management group wants to see where we are with our current assets before going off on a different tangent.
Unless Hughes pulls off another roster ready player deal I expect tinkering before we move on to a big fish.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

It will be interesting to see how that plays out this summer.

With the cap going up, only 1-year left on his deal, and likely finishing around a 15g/25pt season, I could see Armia being viewed favorably by a lot of GMs.

I actually don't think the Habs will be looking to move him at this point. He's clearly appreciated by the coaching staff and at the level he's been playing most of the year, he's a great fit for our bottom 6.

If he keeps it up next year and the Habs are in the playoff picture, I won't be surprised to see a 2-3 year extension rather than trading him.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They aren't going to get anything in a trade that will even be worth considering for this Armia.
The coach loves him right now and if he has indeed turned the corner with his mental game he has a role.
They were actually speculating on RDS that a strong season next year could result in an extention.
It will be interesting to say the least.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't see the Habs challenging for a playoff spot next season. I see a team firmly entrenched in the bubble.
I'd also be super surprised if our front office sees the Habs challenging for a playoff spot next season.
The only thing I have heard come out of them was a desire to become competitive.
I take that to mean to start winning more games than we are losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad