HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't think there's a place for Barron anymore. He's been passed by other prospects on the depth chart.
Maybe as a 7th D if they can't trade him. He won't be waiver exempt anymore next year.

He has good size, can make a good outlet pass and has good straight ahead speed but i think he's too soft, too slow to react and doesn't respond well to pressure.
But i've never been a fan, so maybe i'm biased.

Mathias Brunet said on his podcast that he's been told that Barron still has 1st round value. I doubt it, but let's hope it's true.
He has very good lateral movement and if you watched his last game.
None of the too soft or the too slow to react or the doesn't respond well to pressure was evident at all.
I'm not sure if you are biased or it's just a preconceived notion but what I'm saying is Justin Barron was our Best Dman against the Marlies.
I don't think it was particularly close. He like any other kid has to find consistency.
We aren't very well placed to make judgments on who is ahead of whom in the eyes of our management group.
If they foresee a Reinbacher Mailloux Barron RD which I have to believe they do.
We still have one more year of David Savard until TDL and Guhle is not going to play RD forever so something has to give.
The Odds are it's on the left side so at this point I don't see any of our RD competing for the same seat.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I know he has a NMC, but if Johnny Hockey could be pried away on a perpetually rebuilding Columbus team, would we have a bonafide star to get us over the hump offensively? Have them retain a bit so he his pay is under that of Suzuki. Picks and prospects should help them build something that will match their young forwards.
He's not going to age well. His decline has already begun. We need more skilled players with size.

Reactions: Runner77

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
He's not going to age well. His decline has already begun. We need more skilled players with size.
Looking at his 115 points and plus 64 his last year with Calgary. He and Kachonk carried the team offensively. He wouldn’t have to do that as he’d be more relied upon for offense as a group than anything. I don’t think that production is reasonable but he’s a point per game guy for sure. His skills won’t diminish over that time.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Looking at his 115 points and plus 64 his last year with Calgary. He and Kachonk carried the team offensively. He wouldn’t have to do that as he’d be more relied upon for offense as a group than anything. I don’t think that production is reasonable but he’s a point per game guy for sure. His skills won’t diminish over that time.

Beyond the fact he's too small for us to add to our top 6.
The contract is a hindrance rather than a benefit.
And it looks more like he was a product of Tkachuk.

There's the fact that the guy who didn't want to sign in Calgary isn't gonna waive his NMC to come to Montreal.

Gaudreau isn't a fit and isn't really a possibility if he were.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
None of the too soft or the too slow to react or the doesn't respond well to pressure was evident at all.
I'm not sure if you are biased or it's just a preconceived notion but what I'm saying is Justin Barron was our Best Dman against the Marlies.
I don't think it was particularly close. He like any other kid has to find consistency.
We aren't very well placed to make judgments on who is ahead of whom in the eyes of our management group.
If they foresee a Reinbacher Mailloux Barron RD which I have to believe they do.
We still have one more year of David Savard until TDL and Guhle is not going to play RD forever so something has to give.
The Odds are it's on the left side so at this point I don't see any of our RD competing for the same seat.
Fully agreed, at this stage I prefer Barron over Mailloux Strubble Harris. Some fans are giving up way too early on prospects.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Beyond the fact he's too small for us to add to our top 6.
The contract is a hindrance rather than a benefit.
And it looks more like he was a product of Tkachuk.

There's the fact that the guy who didn't want to sign in Calgary isn't gonna waive his NMC to come to Montreal.

Gaudreau isn't a fit and isn't really a possibility if he were.
That's fair. At some point we are going to have to make a big move to get better on our top six. There aren't that many guys with term that would benefit from a move. If not him, then who? He isn't that bad in his own end given his size limitations and our PP1 and 2 would be deadly. The only tie is that he and MSL have the same agent. Always fun to throw stuff against the wall.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
This month it’s Barron, last month it was Harris, the month before it was Xhekaj, soon it’ll be Struble…

All of Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom, and Mailloux will benefit from a year in Laval and can be called up in case of injury (which there will surely be). There’s really not much of a log jam for this upcoming season if we’re patient with the young guys.

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Barron
Xhekaj-Struble
(Harris, Kovacevic)

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's fair. At some point we are going to have to make a big move to get better on our top six. There aren't that many guys with term that would benefit from a move. If not him, then who? He isn't that bad in his own end given his size limitations and our PP1 and 2 would be deadly. The only tie is that he and MSL have the same agent. Always fun to throw stuff against the wall.

I think I'd look at Necas in Carolina, he's not achieved the heights of someone like Gaudreau, but he's got a lot of talent and Carolina has to make cash decisions, they are a team that are always sending out talent for more picks to keep their prospect pool stacked.

I'd check in on Kent Johnson in Columbus, if he's available because they want to go in a different direction with a new GM, that's a guy with plenty of untapped offensive potential.

But we don't need to force anything, the PLD situations happen and we are positioned to pounce when they do.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think I'd look at Necas in Carolina, he's not achieved the heights of someone like Gaudreau, but he's got a lot of talent and Carolina has to make cash decisions, they are a team that are always sending out talent for more picks to keep their prospect pool stacked.

I'd check in on Kent Johnson in Columbus, if he's available because they want to go in a different direction with a new GM, that's a guy with plenty of untapped offensive potential.

But we don't need to force anything, the PLD situations happen and we are positioned to pounce when they do.
Necas in Carolina is exactly the type of player we should be targeting he does multiple things well plays a heavy game and is super versatile.
I love him so much as a target I have little to no faith we can land him. 30 plus years of waiting for the next parade does that I guess.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Necas in Carolina is exactly the type of player we should be targeting he does multiple things well plays a heavy game and is super versatile.
I love him so much as a target I have little to no faith we can land him. 30 plus years of waiting for the next parade does that I guess.
The problem is we are not good trade partners. We are rebuilding and Carolina is competing. If they trade Necas, they will need to adress an immediate need with it. I don't know what they need but we cannot give it to them.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The problem is we are not good trade partners. We are rebuilding and Carolina is competing. If they trade Necas, they will need to adress an immediate need with it. I don't know what they need but we cannot give it to them.

Carolina doesn't operate traditionally, though. If they have to move Necas out for salary cap reasons, they can't bring cap back and we know Carolina will always want a lot of picks at the draft, so we could be the right trading partner based on their modus operandi

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
To be fair, Necas isn't that soft, but he's really not what the Habs need. He needs to go somewhere that would insulate his playstyle. He's also not good defensively.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Carolina doesn't operate traditionally, though. If they have to move Necas out for salary cap reasons, they can't bring cap back and we know Carolina will always want a lot of picks at the draft, so we could be the right trading partner based on their modus operandi
I would agree but they have alot of big contract players becoming UFAs this summer.

Teravainen
Guentzel
Skjei
Pesce

I just don't get why they would trade Necas for cap purpose unless they absolutely want to resign all of those guys and don't like Necas that much.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
First thing first. Get rid of Gallagher, Dvorak and Anderson and then and only then you can adress the bottom 6. Still think KH waits the summer of 2025 before being agressive.
man I wish they could move Gally, but can't see it

habs need a 30+ goal man.. where from I can't say. but next deal has to be a trigger man. this pp sucks , need a sharp shooter, thought CC would be , yet to be seen

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

habs need a 30+ goal man.. where from I can't say. but next deal has to be a trigger man. this pp sucks , need a sharp shooter, thought CC would be , yet to be seen
Hutson will be the spark of this PP in two years.

Hutson
Suzuki
CC
Slaf
Dach/2024 1st pick

PP won't be a problem. But i agree we could easily use another 30+ goal scorer.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Gallagher Anderson and Dvorak are all worth next to nothing at this point. Our best hope is that we can move the last two to some Cap floor challenged teams with no retention. I look at it as addition by subtraction but somehow I doubt Hughes does.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No he isn't. Jesus Christ man we have four or five players who play softer than him.
Since he started playing regularly in 2021, Necas has a 2.82 hits per 60 rating. Only Suzuki has a lower one, of the 50 players that played for the Habs in that time frame. Now, of course that's just a single metric and not a great indication of physicality, because I wouldn't label Nick as "soft", but he surely won't throw a hit himself. Unlike Martin, Nick goes to the dirty areas and makes the tough plays though, somethign Necas doesn't do all that often, he prefers to play the perimeter, up and down the ice at great speed. He's a little bit like Anderson too. Another enigmatic player, that I was super high on since 2017.

He's soft, uncommited defensively and a perimeter player. We already have Caufield that plays like this, and Suzuki and Roy aren't bruisers themselves, we can't afford to add him. We are also potentially adding another "non-physical" forward with Demidov/Catton.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023

I didn't see his last game against the Marlies but i've seen him play at the NHL level and in a few AHL games too, so I'm basing my assessment on more than just one AHL game.

Maybe i have a preconceived notion from the first impression he gave me but he never did anything to make me change my mind.
He's still basically the same player with the same flaws.

I don't know about management but I'd take Struble playing on the right side way ahead of him.

But maybe it was just a confidence thing and he's finally figured it out. Let's hope...

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Gallagher Anderson and Dvorak are all worth next to nothing at this point. Our best hope is that we can move the last two to some Cap floor challenged teams with no retention. I look at it as addition by subtraction but somehow I doubt Hughes does.
Dvorak is gone after next season.

Gallagher bought out in two years.

Anderson will finish his contract with the Habs and will be useful in the playoffs for his last two seasons.

Really there isn't any problems with these contracts as we don't need the cap space nor the roster spots right now. In two years might be a different thing, hence why i can see Gally getting bought out.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Since he started playing regularly in 2021, Necas has a 2.82 hits per 60 rating. Only Suzuki has a lower one, of the 50 players that played for the Habs in that time frame. Now, of course that's just a single metric and not a great indication of physicality, because I wouldn't label Nick as "soft", but he surely won't throw a hit himself. Unlike Martin, Nick goes to the dirty areas and makes the tough plays though, somethign Necas doesn't do all that often, he prefers to play the perimeter, up and down the ice at great speed. He's a little bit like Anderson too. Another enigmatic player, that I was super high on since 2017.

He's soft, uncommited defensively and a perimeter player. We already have Caufield that plays like this, and Suzuki and Roy aren't bruisers themselves, we can't afford to add him. We are also potentially adding another "non-physical" forward with Demidov/Catton.
I doubt we are getting Demidov and I'm not even sure we'd take Catton depending what is on the board.
I look at Necas as a 20 goal 50ish point player obviously a 3rd line guy who can move up in a pinch.
If he wants to get paid as a 72 point player and a top six candidate I balk at that.
The planning really has to start once the draft positions are known.

I didn't see his last game against the Marlies but i've seen him play at the NHL level and in a few AHL games too, so I'm basing my assessment on more than just one AHL game.

Maybe i have a preconceived notion from the first impression he gave me but he never did anything to make me change my mind.
He's still basically the same player with the same flaws.

I don't know about management but I'd take Struble playing on the right side way ahead of him.

But maybe it was just a confidence thing and he's finally figured it out. Let's hope...
He's been decent in 4 or 5 games straight. He had a tough time when he initially got sent back but he's come to terms with it.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Dvorak is gone after next season.

Gallagher bought out in two years.

Anderson will finish his contract with the Habs and will be useful in the playoffs for his last two seasons.

Really there isn't any problems with these contracts as we don't need the cap space nor the roster spots right now. In two years might be a different thing, hence why i can see Gally getting bought out.
With White, one of Ylonen/RHP and Pearson gone, Andy, Dvo and Gally will become the most expensive fourth line in league history.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
With White, one of Ylonen/RHP and Pearson gone, Andy, Dvo and Gally will become the most expensive fourth line in league history.
To think my favorite 4th line last year had a combined salary that was less than Gallagher's.
I'm ready to toss one and all for nothing if I can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad