Confirmed with Link: Trade: Peter Budaj & Patrick Holland for Eric Tangradi (mod warning post #863)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And that's what I was doing. Discussing how big of a failure on Chevy's part it would have been to send Hutch to the Rock. And based on Chevy's past with goalies and contract values and who plays, this was a better than average probability IMO.

I'm glad I was wrong. I'm glad the right person is getting their chance to prove themselves. And Chevy does earn "some benefit of the doubt" for next time.

Amazing the excitement generated by Chevy's first player for player trade. Can't wait for the next one.

Some think it is nitpicking but I still don't credit Chevy with an NHL player for player trade. If you want to include minor league players he passed that milestone years ago. None of the players involved is in the NHL right now. Not that it is any kind of important milestone but he still has not established himself as a trader.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
If anyone discusses 'negative posters', or 'rainbows and unicorns posters', that poster will be thread banned and probably infracted. Why do the mods have to say this over, and over, and over? Do NOT discuss other posters!

:rant:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Some think it is nitpicking but I still don't credit Chevy with an NHL player for player trade. If you want to include minor league players he passed that milestone years ago. None of the players involved is in the NHL right now. Not that it is any kind of important milestone but he still has not established himself as a trader.

They were both NHL players two days ago, who have played a significant amount of time in the NHL. I think it's slightly misleading to suggest otherwise.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We've gone over this - all players (with the exception of Holland) are NHL players. They played their last games before the trade in the NHL. They are NHL players at time of trade.

Now who's nitpicking? :)

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
unicorn_rainbow.jpg

What does everyone think of this rainbow unicorn poster I just got?

:sarcasm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'll apologize in advance - when Pavelec puts up great sv% numbers mid-season, I'm going to rub all faces in all manners of stuff. Sorry! :sarcasm:

Not many guys with you on his bandwagon anymore so if the new lean and mean Pavs has a big season (mid-season doesn't cut it Derfel ;)) then you will need allot of "all manners of stuff" to go around for all the faces. Nothing that happens this season will shock me......I hope Pavs gets pushed and maybe he, Hutch, or both have career years, or maybe Pavs gives us more of what we have seen already? I am a Jets fan so here's to hoping you are right.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
Brilliant Chevy!
Contrary to popular belief he doesn't just sit around all day. This needed to happen as even a temporary Goalie injury could have gotten us into trouble, but I'm sure that there were other things in the works as well. We know that we were in the running for Leddy too, and I'm sure that there are countless other things that go on that never reach our ears. I'm even quite confident that sending our other prospects down was the right thing to do for both them, and the team at this point. I would have loved to see Morrissey and Petan stick, but they will be that much better after being leaders for the world Jrs. this year etc.
Once again, Chess (Chevy) vs Checkers (us)...

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Exactly! And then these smart ases come on here and say we're a bunch of complainers. Well, when you've had Pavs shoved down your throats for 3 years and you can see no end in sight for that grand "experiment" for another 3 years, you get to so that you don't trust a thing that management says or does -- sorry, that's just the way it is & management has only themselves to blame for letting our goaltending become a laughing-stock around the league

And what goalie do you think we could have signed to a contract or traded for that would have better than Pavs with our lousy defense during the last three years? Lots of permanent backups and goalies past their prime available but not many starters.

If Maurice can fix our defense, you will be seeing a much better save percent from Pavs.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
And what goalie do you think we could have signed to a contract or traded for that would have better than Pavs with our lousy defense during the last three years? Lots of permanent backups and goalies past their prime available but not many starters.

If Maurice can fix our defense, you will be seeing a much better save percent from Pavs.

You sure about that Tex? :) Better SV% or better goals against? - since historically better defence has a much much larger impact on one than t'other... :nod:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
You think this is definitive proof that management is competent? I'd like to point out that while all this drama was unfolding about Budaj vs. Hutch, Ondrej Pavelec remains the Winnipeg Jets' unquestioned starting goaltender...

Exactly. So while that remains proof to those of us that are passionate enough to want the best for our team (thereby questioning why decisions like those are made), others choose to believe that management can do no wrong. Takes all kinds to make the world go around.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Not many guys with you on his bandwagon anymore so if the new lean and mean Pavs has a big season (mid-season doesn't cut it Derfel ;)) then you will need allot of "all manners of stuff" to go around for all the faces. Nothing that happens this season will shock me......I hope Pavs gets pushed and maybe he, Hutch, or both have career years, or maybe Pavs gives us more of what we have seen already? I am a Jets fan so here's to hoping you are right.

Not on the band wagon of pavs, just looking at it realistically. No team is going to trade their number one goaltender. They will only trade them once they are on the down slope of their career. Goaltenders can look like they can stop the world one day and then show that they cannot stop a puck with a sheet of plywood. Look at Briz in Arizona, looked great with the defense of the yotes and then could not stop a puck if it killed him after he left for more money.

Fix our defense and you will see a better goalie. Hutch may or may not be the savior, he has chance to show he can play in the big leagues, if he does not take it, he will be sent down and Budaj will replace him.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Looking at it today great move! Judging from the Jets past decisions regarding goaltending, money, and veterans it was more than justified to doubt their impeding decision. Now that they have shown the ability or willingness to make a move like this perhaps they will be given the benefit of the doubt in the future.

This precisely. All the doubters, myself included, have been more than happy to see how this turned out.

Do we have reason to doubt management based on their past record - by all means. Did management do the right thing here - a resounding YES.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
You sure about that Tex? :) Better SV% or better goals against? - since historically better defence has a much much larger impact on one than t'other... :nod:

In our case both.

Better defense will not fix the soft goals that pavs lets in; however, it will lower the goals against and his save percent. But you did not answer my question, who do you think Chevy could have traded for or offered a contract to who would have been better than Pavs during the summer?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They were both NHL players two days ago, who have played a significant amount of time in the NHL. I think it's slightly misleading to suggest otherwise.

I could argue that the other would be slightly misleading just as well. Why don't we all just agree that Chevy has yet to establish himself as a strong trader? As it turns out this was a very minor deal. It provided some wise (IMO) insurance. I'll give Chevy full credit for foresight with this. Does it demonstrate that he is a cunning horsetrader? No.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
I say this because he's been known to produce great starts before and fizzle down to nothing when we really need him.

Pavs had a .901 save percent last year, what would you consider a good save percent would be for Pavs so you would figure that he was a good NHL goaltender? ? .910, .920, .930, other?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Its a long list, I'll just give you a few;
Bishop
Bernier
Scrivens
Fasth

For a much deeper discussion of goaltending options and possibilities as well as the significance of the various ways of rating goaltenders head over the the Pavelec thread.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Its a long list, I'll just give you a few;
Bishop
Bernier
Scrivens
Fasth

For a much deeper discussion of goaltending options and possibilities as well as the significance of the various ways of rating goaltenders head over the the Pavelec thread.

Who says they did not try to make a deal and the Jets were told to pound sand. We need better goal-tending; however, just because HF forum wants a better goaltender does not mean that a better goaltender was available and willing to come to Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad