Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I asked this in the Fletcher thread I believe but what do you think we could get for A Coyle/Brodin package? I think Coyle's time may be over here after this season. Looks like Seeler is a going to be a keeper. I think you could get a nice return for Coyle and Brodin. If we are facing another early playoff exit I have to think players are going to be moved to change up the core a bit

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
My guess would be Brodin (top 4 LD, #1 need) + Eriksson Ek (replacement center).
Yeah, it'd be Brodin + something significant, and I wouldn't be interested in adding anything. Plus someone like Montreal is bound to outbid us.

And frankly, while O'Reilly is hardly old, if we're moving Brodin for a center I'd prefer someone closer to him in age. I know beggars can't be choosers, but I don't think we're beggars right now.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I asked this in the Fletcher thread I believe but what do you think we could get for A Coyle/Brodin package? I think Coyle's time may be over here after this season. Looks like Seeler is a going to be a keeper. I think you could get a nice return for Coyle and Brodin. If we are facing another early playoff exit I have to think players are going to be moved to change up the core a bit
If we were dead set on packaging them in a single deal our best bet is probably a similar Forward + Defenseman package coming back. The problem is figuring out who the buyer is. If you want to move both you'd probably look to do it in separate deals.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
ROR does nothing that blows me away. At 27, his best years are probably behind him, or at least, he is very close to that time, unless someone has some inside knowledge about him that he has great training techniques, besides driving into Donut stores drunk. Trading away a 24 yo top 4dman(likely to be top 2 in the future) for him seems to be a poor choice, as does trading for a player who has done nothing but play for losers. Doesn't anybody wonder why the losing teams lose? Hint...it's the players.

Adding Coyle to on top of Brodin, after he's had a really bad season? Makes no bloody sense to me.

Also, NO BUFFALO TRADES!

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
ROR does nothing that blows me away. At 27, his best years are probably behind him, or at least, he is very close to that time, unless someone has some inside knowledge about him that he has great training techniques, besides driving into Donut stores drunk. Trading away a 24 yo top 4dman(likely to be top 2 in the future) for him seems to be a poor choice, as does trading for a player who has done nothing but play for losers. Doesn't anybody wonder why the losing teams lose? Hint...it's the players.

Adding Coyle to on top of Brodin, after he's had a really bad season? Makes no bloody sense to me.

Also, NO BUFFALO TRADES!
This is a brush you don't want to paint to broadly with. I doubt San Jose regrets picking up Kane right now. And I don't really miss the 3rd we gave up for that loser Dubnyk.

In O'Reilly's case I am a little skeptical, though. And the Sabres aren't likely to sell low on him.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Also, NO BUFFALO TRADES!

your last two points are right on, but ROR is a terrific player. There's just not much reason to trade for a guy with his skills from the Wild's pov.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is a brush you don't want to paint to broadly with. I doubt San Jose regrets picking up Kane right now. And I don't really miss the 3rd we gave up for that loser Dubnyk.

In O'Reilly's case I am a little skeptical, though. And the Sabres aren't likely to sell low on him.
Yeah, they buy-in cost for the two players mentioned is drastically different than what you'd be talking about with ROR. If I'm going to go after a forward and offering Brodin +Coyle/Nino/? then I go after a Keller type...young, talented, and with his future ahead of him. Not ROR, who has more than likely reached his ceiling. Good player, but not a game changer. I can make a pretty good argument that Brodin alone has a better career ahead of him than ROR does.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Yeah, they buy-in cost for the two players mentioned is drastically different than what you'd be talking about with ROR. If I'm going to go after a forward and offering Brodin +Coyle/Nino/? then I go after a Keller type...young, talented, and with his future ahead of him. Not ROR, who has more than likely reached his ceiling. Good player, but not a game changer. I can make a pretty good argument that Brodin alone has a better career ahead of him than ROR does.

Brodin is super high on my no-trade list; it would be a mistake similar to when the Rangers let Stralman go if they trade him. But I think the more pressing question is what to do with Zucker - who's less than a year younger than ROR. Fan favorite for sure and a valuable skill set but my feeling is he has peaked and a short-term contract would be the play.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Brodin is super high on my no-trade list; it would be a mistake similar to when the Rangers let Stralman go if they trade him. But I think the more pressing question is what to do with Zucker - who's less than a year younger than ROR. Fan favorite for sure and a valuable skill set but my feeling is he has peaked and a short-term contract would be the play.
Trading Zucker would certainly be selling high, but I'm not sure how we'd compensate for the loss of speed and goals. Wouldn't hang up on anyone that sounded desperate, though.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Trading Zucker would certainly be selling high, but I'm not sure how we'd compensate for the loss of speed and goals. Wouldn't hang up on anyone that sounded desperate, though.
Zucker has been a nonfactor in the playoffs pretty much every year. If you get a good price, move him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I love Zucker, and would argue that he has been good for more than one year, but I like they way you are thinking. Trade when value is high....it wasn't all that long ago that Wild fans were HOPING that VGK would take Zucker, not a Coyle or Nino.

That's where Fletcher has to earn his money. Get ahead of situations by accurately predicting career trajectories.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And I think Brodin is as overrated as they get.

Well, I rate him as a good top 4 defensive defenseman, so I think he's pretty fairly rated. I never really bought into "next Lidstrom" type of hype; always pictured him as Hjalmarsson 2.0 and I think he's right there.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I love Zucker, and would argue that he has been good for more than one year, but I like they way you are thinking. Trade when value is high....it wasn't all that long ago that Wild fans were HOPING that VGK would take Zucker, not a Coyle or Nino.

That's where Fletcher has to earn his money. Get ahead of situations by accurately predicting career trajectories.

Staal and Dumba have some pretty high value right now. We could have a fire sale of valuable players!

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Well, I rate him as a good top 4 defensive defenseman, so I think he's pretty fairly rated. I never really bought into "next Lidstrom" type of hype; always pictured him as Hjalmarsson 2.0 and I think he's right there.
Change "top 4" to 2nd pair and I agree with everything else.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
To me, top 4 means 1st or 2nd pair. He's not a 1st pair guy. Just doesn't come close with the offense or puckskills.

To me, "top 4" means natural 2nd pair that can be passable on the top pair in a pinch.

I will say, in the 7 games that Suter has been out, he has 5 points. Some of that is PP and some is probably just incidental "flow of the play" stuff, but I still think there is more in there. He's never going to be upper echelon, but I think with the right #1D next to him, he'd be passable there.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We don't have replacements for Staal or Dumba, though. We've got quite a few wingers.

Again, not a move I'd go out looking to make, but it's an interesting idea.

Trade Zucker and we lose 25-30 goals. So we'd now have hope Nino rebounds, Coyle decides to assert himself, Parise's rebound isn't a mirage, Greenway is ready, etc... A lot of question marks.

We're not getting Boeser/Keller-type for Zucker, and we're not getting a Seguin-type for him, so what would be looking for, a mid 1st round pick? I don't think that's a good tradeoff.

I'd much rather keep what I know I have, which is 25-30 goals and a major addition to our "team speed".

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Trade Zucker and we lose 25-30 goals. So we'd now have hope Nino rebounds, Coyle decides to assert himself, Parise's rebound isn't a mirage, Greenway is ready, etc... A lot of question marks.

We're not getting Boeser/Keller-type for Zucker, and we're not getting a Seguin-type for him, so what would be looking for, a mid 1st round pick? I don't think that's a good tradeoff.

I'd much rather keep what I know I have, which is 25-30 goals and a major addition to our "team speed".
I would hope that any trade out of that age group of guys would return a better offensive forward.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I can imagine two scenarios where we'd trade him:

1.) To a team that's willing overpay for some reason. As an example, let's say Edmonton is desperate for a winger that can keep up with McDavid and they offer Puljujarvi. It's a risk since he's struggled to figure it out, but maybe he just needs a locker room full of Finns to overcome the language barrier.
2.) Traded for defense after we traded a defender for a forward. Kind of a lateral move and there's nothing to say it'd have to be Zucker specifically, but I think his name would be in the hat.

But overall I agree there isn't an obvious Zucker trade to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad