Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I can imagine two scenarios where we'd trade him:

1.) To a team that's willing overpay for some reason. As an example, let's say Edmonton is desperate for a winger that can keep up with McDavid and they offer Puljujarvi. It's a risk since he's struggled to figure it out, but maybe he just needs a locker room full of Finns to overcome the language barrier.
2.) Traded for defense after we traded a defender for a forward. Kind of a lateral move and there's nothing to say it'd have to be Zucker specifically, but I think his name would be in the hat.

But overall I agree there isn't an obvious Zucker trade to be made.

It would be a hell of a risk.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It would be, and maybe Puljujarvi's not the guy to take it on. But I'd consider moving Zucker for a guy with higher offensive upside, even if it was somewhat risky.
Just to kind of piggy back on this idea- Would you have traded a Zucker, Coyle, or Brodin for Barzal at this time last year?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Just to kind of piggy back on this idea- Would you have traded a Zucker, Coyle, or Brodin for Barzal at this time last year?
Yeah, exactly. I probably would've said no just because I didn't know much about him. It takes a much better eye for talent than mine to identify that sort of player, but it's worth pursuing. Because there are a few teams out there that are probably tired of losing and might be willing to part with a forward that's still mostly potential for a guy that's in his prime and getting it done right now.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Completely agree. But the next Barzal is out there somewhere, so is the next Seguin trade.

Player 1 draft season: 44 games, 12 goals, 45 assists
Player 2 draft season: 71 games, 27 goals, 67 assists

One of these guys is already in the Wild system, the other is Mathew Barzal.

I think there's a long list of guys with draft pedigree and junior production that might become available this summer: Dylan Strome, Michael Dal Colle, Josh Ho-Sang, Jesse Puljujarvi, Julien Gauthier, Evgeni Svechnikov, Sonny Milano, Jacob Forsbacka-Karlsson... All depends on the price.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Tavares and EK situations will put a damper on the trade market this season until they are resolved. That is a lot of cap space and possible trade bait teams will be hoarding if there is a chance they can get either of them. Spurgeon/Dumba and ROR (as examples) would be considered consolation prizes via trade. The UFA market has a few at the top, but isn't very deep overall.

I don't know who the Wild should trade and for what return (other than Ennis for a bucket of pucks). I'd look and see what returns I could get for the shorter term/RFA contracts: Granny, Spurgeon, Coyle, Zucker, Dumba, and maybe even Staal. But I wouldn't be a motivated seller on any of them.

It would take a lot to trade Brodin. Suter is a question mark until he's healthy and playing again. I like the LD depth behind Brodin, but I don't want to put any of them on the top pair to start next season if Suter's recovery takes longer than expected (and Brodin is gone).

Nino, I think, would be a sell low candidate after his injured/down year. I don't trust GMCF (who I think will be back) to get fair trade value for him.

JEE. Greenway, and Kunin I wouldn't move (unless someone is overpaying for them). Kaprizov rights are something I'd consider trading, again it would have to be for something good.

Foligno, I keep. He won't bring much in trade value, he's overpayed but not by millions. There isn't an in-house replacement for him (other than Gabriel). I also think he'll be better or more consistent next season. It took him awhile to find his fit with the team. I think he builds on his 2nd half and Playoffs and is better for it next season.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Want a fun move? Offer Nino (plus Ennis) back to the Islanders for Tavares. Then give him lots of money. Islanders save face. We get an elite center.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Want a fun move? Offer Nino (plus Ennis) back to the Islanders for Tavares. Then give him lots of money. Islanders save face. We get an elite center.
Fun as in " the last move I will ever get paid for in the NHL" kind of fun?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I've been thinking about Edmonton too. It just seems like a good fit, both hockey and business wise.

Their GM is dumber than a sack of hammers, and there's no better way of building your portfolio as a GM than doing business with dumb GMs. Fletcher should have Chia on speed dial. He has already traded Kessel, Seguin, Hall and the pick that ended up being Barzal, and is currently more desperate than ever. What an opportunity.

Hockey wise, his team is in dire need of speed and skill on the wing and PMD especially on the right side. He has even come out and publicly stated this, and the heat is on. If they miss the playoffs next season, he's done.

Wild could have a perfect answer for this: Zucker and Spurgeon. It would be tough to move these guys because they play very important roles, but if an opportunity presented itself to maybe fleece the desperate Oilers and jump-start/retool/restructure the franchise a bit, I think you'd have to take a long look at it.

I don't see Draisaitl being moved, but I don't think that would be necessary. A scenario where Oilers win the lottery and end up with the 3rd overall pick, and package Puljujarvi with that pick, that's probably a trade I'd make. Basically hope that Puljujarvi becomes an impact player and then pick another one with that pick. Big risks here of course, two very good NHLers for uncertainty, but the potential reward is also extremely high. Could be the kind of risk Wild need to take in order push the team over the hump.

But I wouldn't trade Zucker and Spurgeon for Puljujarvi and ~10th overall pick (Oilers' likely draft position). Something considerable would have to be added there.

Just food for thought.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
^ Been thinking we need to make a move like that for a few years but it is a huge risk and i understand why most don't want to take that risk... cause if it backfires it could be devastating to the franchise for years.

Here is my own crazy idea i have thought about a few times.

BUYOUT ENNIS

MIN: Koivu
CBJ: Anderson + mid/low pick?

(Mikko might actually waive with the GM Finnish connection and competitive team.)

MIN: Coyle
VGS: Rights to Gusev + mid/low pick?

MIN: Foligno
ANY TEAM: 6/7th pick or future considerations.

Zucker 5x5
Dumba 4.75x6-8
Winnik .950x2
Tavares 11x7
Gusev .925

Zucker - Tavares - Nino
Gusev - Staal - Granlund
Parise - Ek - Anderson
Winnik - ? - ?

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Olof/Seeler - Prosser

CAP: 78m

CAP SPACE: 5.1m
(Foligno traded)

CAP SPACE: 2.2m
(Foligno not traded)

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Oilers do make sense. It's easy to see them having interest in Zucker, Coyle, Nino, and Spurgeon.

I'm not sure what to make of Puljujarvi yet - the team buried him this season but he flashes both tremendous upside and bizarre confusion. The big red flag to me is that Jarmo Kekalainen just wasn't interested at draft day. There aren't many in the game of hockey with better eyes for talent. P-L Dubois is a terrific player but there might be more to it, something that will limit the Finn.

Even a top five pick - the Wild would hopefully target a guy like Oliver Wahlstrom, not a defenseman - might not be worth the cost of losing one of the aforementioned guys. Kailer Yamamoto is intriguing too, but at the cost of Nino?

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Its a good question. I recall there was discussion awhile back about targeting Christian Dvorak. He certainly hasnt taken off like Barzal but might still be the kind of player to go after.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Who would you trade?
Well that specific post was just a (bad) joke :laugh:

But if I was going to give a rough order for who I'd be most interested in trading right now:

Ennis
Foligno
Zucker
Spurgeon
Brodin
Coyle
Nino
Staal
Granlund
Dumba

Ignoring guys on full NMCs and rookies/prospects. Ennis would be addition by subtraction and I think we could fill Foligno's role for less money. Zucker and Spurgeon would be significant losses, but may be the best "sell high" candidates. Brodin is just kind of in the middle all around for me. I think we'd be selling low on Coyle or Nino. I could only see trading Staal if we somehow acquired a younger 1C, and even then it's probably a bad idea. The only way trading Granlund or Dumba isn't a mistake is if the other team is making an even bigger one.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well that specific post was just a (bad) joke :laugh:

But if I was going to give a rough order for who I'd be most interested in trading right now:

Ennis
Foligno
Zucker
Spurgeon
Brodin
Coyle
Nino
Staal
Granlund
Dumba

Ignoring guys on full NMCs and rookies/prospects. Ennis would be addition by subtraction and I think we could fill Foligno's role for less money. Zucker and Spurgeon would be significant losses, but may be the best "sell high" candidates. Brodin is just kind of in the middle all around for me. I think we'd be selling low on Coyle or Nino. I could only see trading Staal if we somehow acquired a younger 1C, and even then it's probably a bad idea. The only way trading Granlund or Dumba isn't a mistake is if the other team is making an even bigger one.

I think it would be hard to move Ennis with that type of contract he has. Not impossible, but difficult. I don't see Fletcher entertaining any thought of trading Foligno after going on and on and on last summer about how much he coveted Foligno and he was their number 1 priority to obtain. Especially after the Hanzal trade. Zucker would hurt. He's the only goal scorer on this team. Other than that, it's more of getting old by trading the young guys, which is the exact opposite of what they should do.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think it would be hard to move Ennis with that type of contract he has. Not impossible, but difficult. I don't see Fletcher entertaining any thought of trading Foligno after going on and on and on last summer about how much he coveted Foligno and he was their number 1 priority to obtain. Especially after the Hanzal trade. Zucker would hurt. He's the only goal scorer on this team. Other than that, it's more of getting old by trading the young guys, which is the exact opposite of what they should do.
If we were to trade anyone on that list outside of Ennis and Foligno I think the goal should be to target younger, less established players. That requires putting more faith in our scouts than they maybe have earned, but it's the sort of move I would like to see us pursue. No interest in guys like Pacioretty and Simmonds that are set to get paid for seasons they're unlikely to reproduce.

I should add that I'm not thinking of this as a list of guys I'm eager to see the back of. It's more like, if I had sudden access to all of Fletcher's emails, phone transcripts, text messages, etc from the last 2 years and into this offseason, that is the order that I would ctrl+F for names in.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If we were to trade anyone on that list outside of Ennis and Foligno I think the goal should be to target younger, less established players. That requires putting more faith in our scouts than they maybe have earned, but it's the sort of move I would like to see us pursue. No interest in guys like Pacioretty and Simmonds that are set to get paid for seasons they're unlikely to reproduce.

I should add that I'm not thinking of this as a list of guys I'm eager to see the back of. It's more like, if I had sudden access to all of Fletcher's emails, phone transcripts, text messages, etc from the last 2 years and into this offseason, that is the order that I would ctrl+F for names in.
Agreed... you don't trade away Zucker for a passed his prime, but still performing 32yro player. You trade away Zucker for someone younger and less established but has a very high ceiling. Maybe in a package for such a player and a high pick too?

As this team is made up... we have too much of a single style of player. Everyone outside of Granlund is very workman like in how they approach offense. We have very little creativity, and in the post season that lack of creativity has really handcuffed the team.

Everything is chip it in, grind it off the boards, get the puck in close and hope you can bang it past the goaltender for a garbage style goal.

Granlund is the only guy out there creating opportunities in space for anyone. Nobody else is able to create space for themselves or others.

Meanwhile, Winny is creating space regularly in our zone...and not just by using their size, but by being creative. You're seeing a lot of really nice passing from them to get linemates open when the D is in good position. Dubs has played amazing this series and he's getting no help on the other end.

Yes, grinding the forecheck will always be a staple in the NHL, it's the nature of the game, but creativity sets cup teams apart from the rest. The Wild have virtually none. It would be absolutely none if not for 64.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mookie Blaylock

omage

Apr 20, 2018
Hey guys. I'm a long time reader, but this series forced me to make an account. I'm quite a bit buzzed so bear with me. Anyways I think we need a serious shake up. What do you guys think of this and would it be possible.

Spurgeon, Coyle, 2018 1st, small plus to edmonton for Draisatil.

Why they might do it? Edm wants top 4 offensive D, plus top 6 wing. Spurg becomes their best D. Coyle is better than this year. He broke his leg, hard to come back from. Plus they could package our first with theirs for a decent return. Could go after pieces in fa too.

Brodin, nino, 1st in 2019, + (don't know what the plus is) to ottawa for karlson

Why they might do it? Brodin becomes a young top pairing dman for them, plus nino was unhealthy all year and is a good young winger. Would be a solid return for them in my mind, by pure quantity. 1st in 2019 is a solid pice too for their rebuild.

2018-19 Lineup of

Greenway-Draisatil-Parise
Zucker-Stall-Granlund
Ek-Koivu-Kunin
Foligno-X-Winnick

Suter-Dumba
Seeler-Karlson
Soucy-Prosser
Olafson

Duby
Stalock

Apologies for spelling, I am not sober.

Salary Cap is straight from my head, so I dont know if it works but i think this would put us in contention if it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad