Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
There is probably a bigger trage that could be made with the Leafs.Something along the lines of Haula+2nd+4th for Cody Franson and Mike Santorelli (both UFAs this summer)

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
There is probably a bigger trage that could be made with the Leafs.Something along the lines of Haula+2nd+4th for Cody Franson and Mike Santorelli (both UFAs this summer)

Seeing as Toronto is apparently asking for a 1st + prospect for Franson (from McKenzie today), I'm going to say that's not even close to enough.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
I don't think Fletcher gives up our 1st or 2nd this year unless something ridiculous comes up like our 2nd+Keränen for Yakupov or something stupid like that.

I would spit my drink out laughing if I saw a done deal like that announced.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Seeing as Toronto is apparently asking for a 1st + prospect for Franson (from McKenzie today), I'm going to say that's not even close to enough.
Asking and getting are two different things,I don't believe anyone is giving up a prospect + a 1st for any of the rentals available.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

So, we won't have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th this year. A 2nd next year. Minnesota just doesn't have the ability to keep bleeding picks and prospects for rentals.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Resign maybe? He doesn't make much now and isn't like he will demand high dollar. Just thinking out loud I guess. Haula has been brutal

Haula is also a waiver ineligible RFA.He should have been sent to Iowa and now we can't send him to Iowa because someone will claim him.There comes a time when you have to get what you can for a player while he still has value.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Resign maybe? He doesn't make much now and isn't like he will demand high dollar. Just thinking out loud I guess. Haula has been brutal

We can't re-sign him and people were calling my idea of trading Dubnyk at the deadline laughable. At least Dubnyk was a UFA and we have a logjam at goaltender.

Haula's value is at an all time low. Why sell low? He's probably nursing a long term injury. Furthermore, it's his 2nd year in the NHL. He needs to definitely get a better training session in the off-season but who knows, maybe he'll become that 10-15, 20-25 center we've been needing after Brodziak leaves.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
We can't re-sign him and people were calling my idea of trading Dubnyk at the deadline laughable. At least Dubnyk was a UFA and we have a logjam at goaltender.

Haula's value is at an all time low. Why sell low? He's probably nursing a long term injury. Furthermore, it's his 2nd year in the NHL. He needs to definitely get a better training session in the off-season but who knows, maybe he'll become that 10-15, 20-25 center we've been needing after Brodziak leaves.

Why couldn't we resign Santorelli after the season?

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City

Why can't we resign him?He made $1.5 m this year and I don't think he is going to demand a huge raise in free agency nothing more than about $2 m a year maybe less with a little term.Haula has been awful this year and the problem with resigning him is that he has to be on the big boy team,we can't sign him and send him to Iowa because someone might grab him,than what would we have gotten?Nothing.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Why couldn't we resign Santorelli after the season?

I thought you meant Haula but Santorelli, eh. He's going to be make bank in the off-season.

Why can't we resign him?He made $1.5 m this year and I don't think he is going to demand a huge raise in free agency nothing more than about $2 m a year maybe less with a little term.Haula has been awful this year and the problem with resigning him is that he has to be on the big boy team,we can't sign him and send him to Iowa because someone might grab him,than what would we have gotten?Nothing.

So what, we trade Haula when his value is at it's lowest?

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
I thought you meant Haula but Santorelli, eh. He's going to be make bank in the off-season.

So what, we trade Haula when his value is at it's lowest?

I am not sure what kind of raise Santorelli is going to get.He is getting $1.5 m this year on a 1 year deal,I imagine he would want a longer term deal,I think he will get a 3-4 year deal that averages around $2.5-$3 per year,the cap isn't going up next year.
We trade Haula while he still has value and don't have to handcuff the team by having him as a 3rd line center/healthy scratch who we can't send down.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

I doubt Haula will ever be all that valuable, to be honest. Maybe he does have an injury, but I don't think Yeo was lying when he made it clear that Haula's issues were related to poor conditioning last summer. If they intend for Coyle to be a center in the long run, we'll have at least 3 centers and finding someone for the 4th line isn't that difficult. Currently Haula's a young player who might still develop but he can no longer be sent down without waivers and hasn't earned a permanent spot in the NHL lineup.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haula's vagueness in play compared to last year (when he looked like a good 3C ) makes me wonder if he doesn't have long term concussion effects, similar to what Justin Morneau had. It affects everything... behavior, stamina, coordination. He does look out of shape this year, and unable to keep up with the pace of the NHL, whereas last year he looked ahead of everyone.

While it could be that he partied all summer, that doesn't square with anything I've heard about the guy in the past, hence the speculation.

Had high hopes for him well into this year, but have wrote off this year at this point. He just doesn't have it. It's almost like last year was a mirage. I don't see any point in trading him for a mid round pick. Better to wait and hope he snaps back next year. If we can package him for some legit help this year then let's do it.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
the 2 monster hits haula took in the first 7 games must be effecting him, no point in selling / trading him for nothing when he could be another zucker or walz type player. i hope CF doesnt give away the farm for a rental.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Trading Haula while he still has value would be cool.

...If he still had any value. Better off keeping him now.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he had no value there wouldn't be a problem sending him to Iowa.

There's a difference between someone claiming him for free on waivers and someone giving up something good in a trade for him.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I think Haula is having a sophomore slump. He could easily regain his confidence from last season - it's not like he sustained an injury that hindered his skating or hands. It's all in his head.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
There's a difference between someone claiming him for free on waivers and someone giving up something good in a trade for him.

He could be useful,as part of a package,for a team stating a rebuild (Leafs,Coyotes),he's young with a bit of NHL experience and has the skills and potential to be better.

Haula by himself won't get much of anything,but package him with a pick and he might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad