Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

J22*

He's a good two way player though, and already a better offensive player and is getting better and better at faceoffs.

Yes, Koivu is great as a defender, but Granlund is also above average... he just doesn't have Koivu's size to go with his skill to be GREAT defensively.

It's Koivu's size that is the difference maker there IMO.

As for "tougher assignments" yes and no for both player. Koivu plays against the oppositions top forwards, Granlund faces the oppositions top defenders.

Just like the Wild put out their best offensive D-men "mostly" while Parise and Granlund are on the ice, and their best defensive D-men when Koivu's line is out there.

Offensively, Granlund plays against the top defenders and is still around the same PPG as Koivu is, while Koivu is playing lesser defenders and LOTS more PP time.

As definition for tougher minutes goes... Koivu gets the tougher minutes because he gets the D-zone starts and has to play a shutdown role.

Sorry, but No, and it's not even really debatable. Granlund is nowhere near even average in his own end.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Granlund is below avg defensively, yet has equal amount of blocked shots this year as Koivu... and I know it's a subjective stat, but Granlund is a +6 while Koivu is a -1... much due to who they play against, but it certainly shows that Granlund is not even CLOSE to below avg.

Granlund is an Above avg defender.

J22*

You mean the Granlund that blocked 3 straight shots in the playoffs in the final minute of play?

EDIT: Talon beat me to it.

Prosser has as many blocks as Brodin and Scandella, seems like a great stat to measure defensive ability. Granlund gets manhandled and is worthless down low in the d-zone, I would consider those important aspects of the defensive ability of a center?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Prosser has as many blocks as Brodin and Scandella, seems like a great stat to measure defensive ability. Granlund gets manhandled and is worthless down low in the d-zone, I would consider those important aspects of the defensive ability of a center?

Yes, Granlund does get muscled at times, but he is absolutely not worthless down low... he's had quite a few passes picked off of defenders down there.

Above avg doesn't mean great... I already pointed out MOST of the difference between Koivu and Granlund defensively is size related. Granlund has good defensive stick work and sense to be in the right spot, he just doesn't have the size Koivu does to be a dominant defender... that doesn't mean he's below avg.

Even with Coyle's size, Granlund is a MUCH better defender than he is!

BTW - as for your blocked shots comment, there was a reason I also included +/-... Prosser may have just as many blocked shots as those two, but he's also a -10! Brodin is +10 and Scandella is +4. That shows the discrepancy. Where as Koivu and Granlund are equal in blocked shots, and Granlund is actually better in +/-... I never said Granlund was BETTER than Koivu defensively, but he isn't far behind... only size separates their defensive games. Koivu is dominant defensively, Granlund is above avg.

Last edited:

P10p

May 15, 2012
Yeah, anyone calling Granlund a below average defender is just wrong. He has great anticipation and shows alot of hustle in the defensive zone.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Players with high hockey IQ are usually pretty good on defensive zone if they put the effort in it. Defense is more about being in the right place than being big and strong on the walls.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Granlund is below average possession over his career but above average this year. Koivu is an elite possession guy. Granlund does edge out Koivu in points per 60 over his career but Koivu is a bit higher this year. Neither are all that stellar offensively (although Granlund has upside). Factor in faceoffs and to this point, Granlund is noticeably behind Koivu on the depth chart.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I think Granlund's next contract is 2 years, 3 - 3.3 million per year. It's a prove-it contract to show he can continue to evolve his game, up his production and most of all, to stay healthy for a full season. But Granlund has leverage too; he's playing a really important position on this team already. Parise is raving about playing with him. I think he can get 3 per year already.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Granlund is below average possession over his career but above average this year. Koivu is an elite possession guy. Granlund does edge out Koivu in points per 60 over his career but Koivu is a bit higher this year. Neither are all that stellar offensively (although Granlund has upside). Factor in faceoffs and to this point, Granlund is noticeably behind Koivu on the depth chart.

But a lot of that can be explained. Koivu loves to slow it down, hold onto the puck, and cycle it along the boards.

Granlund slices and dashes through the middle of the ice and is always looking to head man the puck. A lot of the time he's moving it pretty quickly...he's more about getting scoring chances off the rush and in transition.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
One knock against Granlund pre-draft was his two-way play, but he's shown there's no reason to worry anymore. Anyone still calling him below average needs to update their "opinion" to 2015.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
It's all about if he can stay healthy for a full season. I still think he has in him 20+50 type seasons. His seasons in Finland:

2009-10: 43 gp 13 + 27 = 40
2010-11: 39 gp 8 + 28 = 36
2011-12: 45 gp 20 + 31 = 51

In his final season he was a real goal scoring threat. I think he can get to 20 goals here too as he keeps evolving and improving. He's only 22, after all.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
So on topic for a bottom pairing, big bodied lefty defenseman why not take a look at at pure rental in Bryce Salvador? Might as well add another captain to this roster and Salvador would bring amazing depth to the blue line. What can we feasibly say might do the trick?
Salvador for two of Draeger, Gilmour, Keranen, and Labbe possibly. Or include a mid round pick instead.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
So on topic for a bottom pairing, big bodied lefty defenseman why not take a look at at pure rental in Bryce Salvador? Might as well add another captain to this roster and Salvador would bring amazing depth to the blue line. What can we feasibly say might do the trick?
Salvador for two of Draeger, Gilmour, Keranen, and Labbe possibly. Or include a mid round pick instead.

No Salvador is awful.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I wonder if Carolina would be interested in trading Andrej Sekera. A relatively good LHD on a cheap(ish) contract who is a UFA this summer.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Bryce Salvador is truly bad. No interest.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'd wonder if Buffalo would want to trade Mikhail Grigorenko...though he seems like a Phillips clone in the fact, upside but is a major project.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
It's all about if he can stay healthy for a full season. I still think he has in him 20+50 type seasons. His seasons in Finland:

2009-10: 43 gp 13 + 27 = 40
2010-11: 39 gp 8 + 28 = 36
2011-12: 45 gp 20 + 31 = 51

In his final season he was a real goal scoring threat. I think he can get to 20 goals here too as he keeps evolving and improving. He's only 22, after all.

I think even more important than how many goals Granlund will score, is how many more goals will Granny help his wingers score. Granlund is a playmaker that can open up the ice with his vision and passing. Is he a guy that can elevate the players around him? Looking at the roster we have, without being too generous IMO, five guys who are good for 20 goals (Vanek, Parise, Pommer, Zucker, Nino) and then some guys that should be in the 10-20 range (Koivu, Granny, Coyle, and maybe Haula). The big question for Granlund is can he elevate a guy like Nino/Zucker into a 30+ goal scorer? Can he control the game and make the players around him better? 20 goals is nice but if i'm looking for signs that Granlund is really taking that next step to a great player from a good player I don't think his goal totals will tell the story.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd wonder if Buffalo would want to trade Mikhail Grigorenko...though he seems like a Phillips clone in the fact, upside but is a major project.

My guess is that they wouldn't until they have McEichel secured, and it wouldn't be for cheap. Maybe a similarly touted prospect at a different position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad