Proposal: Trade Deadline

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If we're resigning Semin, money is not going to be plentiful in our future. So any long term 5m+ defensemen is a longshot. Especially, when Murphy is going to be playing for 1 million a year or so for several years.

ELC's are our friend. The bizarre love affair with Giordano is not.

First, I think that as long as attendance stays as good as it has been, and as long as the team is winning, we will be willing to spend to the cap (though it will perhaps be a "tight" cap for one year, it will be again rising sooner than later. We can deal with one year of tight cap IMO, with the amount of money coming off the books after next season).

Second, it's not about a love affair w/ Mark at all, it's about years until UFA IMO. Murphy is an extremely valuable chip, too much so to be used on rentals or even on star veteran players with contracts next season. The only way I'd ever give up Murphy is if we can get an established defenseman in their mid-to-late twenties with 3+ years left on their contracts. The only ones (that are even remotely touchable) that currently fit this requirement ATM are the following:

Mark Giordano (Calgary)
Marc Staal (Rangers) :naughty:
Alex Goligoski (Dallas)
Fedor Tyutin (Columbus)
Kevin Klein (Nashville)
Trevor Daley (Dallas)
Keith Yandle (Phoenix)
Jack Johnson (Columbus) :D :naughty: :naughty: :D
Dustin Byfuglien (Winnipeg)
Tobias Enstrom (Winnipeg)

Out of that list, the ones I would give up Murphy for are Giordano, Daley, Staal, Johnson (yes, I said it), Byfuglien, Yandle, and Enstrom.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Cant see the Jets trading within division, and with the CANES..

With re-alignment moving the Jets to the West, the fact that they are currently in the division is irrelevant to any trade involving long-term contracts (now, with pending UFAs like Antropov and Hainsey, that's a totally different story). BTW, this also opens up the door to a trade with Tampa Bay or Florida, as they won't be in our division next year, and are too far back to catch up with us this season.

Another option for acquiring a defenseman may also be the traditional "buy-low" strategy, going after a young roster defenseman that are potential late bloomers for mid-low picks and B-Prospects. Examples of such are:

Keith Aulie (Tampa Bay)
Korbinian Holzer (Toronto)
Yannick Weber (Montreal)
Jonathon Blum (Nashville)
Adam McQuaid (Boston)
Grant Clitsome (Winnipeg)

Last edited:

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
I would go after Blum or McQuaid. Blum will cost less to get, but McQuaid, from what I have seen, seems to either be developing a little faster, or have a higher ceiling than Blum. But what I have seen first hand of Blum, he looks to be a decent 4/5 in the near future.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I could see buff being at the top of our list. He's big and physical, can play on the pp, gives us a different type of rh dman. He makes more sense than yandle. I don't know that our d is really better with him, but I get the idea behind it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So I haven't followed Rask at all, except enough to know that he's a really good prospect and one of the few prospects at forward that have any value.

Anyone else think we should trade him now, before our development team gets a hand on him and he turns into another Boychuk/Dalpe/etc?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think he has a game sense about him the others lack. He also could raise the skill level of the team. That's one thing we always lack, skill. Look how much different we are with skinner and semin? I liked both dalpe and boychuk, but rask is a higher level player than either. Skating is his flaw. If you think he'll never get past that then yes, but I say no. He has an ability we lack, just like Murphy.

Datsyuk Prospect

Mar 6, 2013
i.imgur.com
In my opinion we shouldn't even think of trading Rask or Murphy, they're both high talented prospects and I'm glad JR drafted a Swede forward for once. (Guessing the talk with Bryan Murray made him realize drafting and scouting Swedes are a great investment.)

Murphy while still being young has shown sparks that he might well end up in the NHL full time fairly soon. We'll see how training camp goes next this summer.

I'd gladly use Dalpe/Bowman as trade bait for sure.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I hate to say this, because I like Bowman, but I would be fine seeing him go (I only say Bowman because Dalpe is injured-- supposedly for a good portion of the rest of the season and. Bowman has been given adequate "show" time for scouts).

Fin9*

you ****ers must no trade joni :cry: joni is best joni win always joni aesome and king of all kings

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Joni belongs on the Kings? And is the King of them? He could wear the "K" on his jersey.

Joni Pitkanov?
21517Mikhailov.jpg

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I hate to say this, because I like Bowman, but I would be fine seeing him go (I only say Bowman because Dalpe is injured-- supposedly for a good portion of the rest of the season and. Bowman has been given adequate "show" time for scouts).

Dalpe is skating again, he had knee surgery after a knee on knee hit. Should be back soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad