Proposal: Trade Deadline

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yandle would be a good fit overall, but not what we lack right now. We need a regehr. For longer than this season too. I would swap out Pitts for yandle, pick up a regehr and be pretty happy with where the d is going. I know Pitts has played well when he has played, I just don't ever think ill be a true fan.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Yandle is a long-term solution to defensive issues. If he can be had for a reasonable price, go get him now. He shouldn't prevent making a move for someone like Regehr since I'm guessing McBain will be going the other way for a D like Yandle. Maybe he replaces Pitkanen long-term, maybe they both stay. Either way, Yandle helps and is a deal that should be made if it doesn't cost the entire farm.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Yandle is offense and nothing much else. He's better on that aspect than Pitkanen but he's not good on the own end. I'm not a fan at all. Especially for what he's going to cost us but he's on Rutherford mind for sure.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
My grand plan for the Canes:

Deadline Deals

Trade 1 w/ Calgary: Ryan Murphy for Mark Giordano
Trade 2 w/ San Jose: Chad LaRose + 5th for Douglas Murray
Trade 3 w/ Phoenix: Tim Brent + 3rd for Boyd Gordon

Lines

Tlusty - E. Staal - Semin
Ruutu - J. Staal - Skinner
Jokinen - Nash - Dwyer
Bowman - Gordon - Wallace
Westgarth

Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - Giordano
Harrison - Corvo
McBain, Murray, Sanguinetti

Ellis
Peters

Offseason Plans

Let Corvo, Gordon, Ellis & Murray's contracts expire, resign Semin for 5 years/$6M per, and Wallace and Sanguinetti for 2 years.

Trade 1 w/ Toronto: LW Tuomo Ruutu (3 years/$4.75M per) for D John-Michael Liles (3 years/$3.8M per)

UFA Signing: LW Michael Ryder (2 years, $3.8-$4M per) - This would be a GREAT fit for our second line if a short-term deal is available. Our first two lines would be absolutely lethal with him and Skinner on Jordan's wings.

Promotions: Brent Sutter or Jeremy Welsh to 4th Line C

Lines

Tlusty - E. Staal - Semin
Ryder - J. Staal - Skinner
Jokinen - Nash - Dwyer
Bowman - Sutter/Welsh - Wallace
Sutter/Welsh, Dalpe

Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - Giordano
Harrison - Liles
McBain, Sanguinetti

Ward
Peters

Last edited:

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
with the way Corvo has been playing after the first few games, and what leafs fans seem to think about Liles relative to his contract, i think im fine sticking with Corvo.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Sort of scared of these rumours of JR going after a big name defenseman

We're going to end up paying a king's ransom for a serviceable defenseman at the deadline, let alone a Yandle or a Byfuglien

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
It's gonna be Murphy moved too when/if it happens. I was okay with dealing him before the call-up but I'm a little more hesitant now. I'll have to file this under wait and see at this point.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's gonna be Murphy moved too when/if it happens. I was okay with dealing him before the call-up but I'm a little more hesitant now. I'll have to file this under wait and see at this point.

I will never say never, but it isn't very often that a top prospect+ goes in a deadline deal. It's usually a combination of picks and some young players and/or lesser prospects.

Look even at the Kovy trade. A late 1st round pick, Patrice Cormier (Mid-tier prospect who was a 2nd round pick), Bergfors (a decent, but inconsistent young player drafted 5 years earlier), and Odoya (a 4/5 defensemen in his mid-late 20s at the time).

It wouldn't surprise me to see JR part with pick's and prospects/young players (Dalpe, Bowman, even Rask, etc...) for a rental, but I'll be a bit surprised if Murphy is involved...unless it's a real top end guy with some time left on his contract coming back.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
Sort of scared of these rumours of JR going after a big name defenseman

We're going to end up paying a king's ransom for a serviceable defenseman at the deadline, let alone a Yandle or a Byfuglien

We're not in a bad position to pay a ransom, though, especially if said ransom is mostly in the form of picks, as we're just coming out of the right side of a rebuild, so draft picks are not as crucial, especially since for the next couple of years I expect our firsts to be more in the 12th-30th range, rather than lottery picks.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I will never say never, but it isn't very often that a top prospect+ goes in a deadline deal. It's usually a combination of picks and some young players and/or lesser prospects.

Look even at the Kovy trade. A late 1st round pick, Patrice Cormier (Mid-tier prospect who was a 2nd round pick), Bergfors (a decent, but inconsistent young player drafted 5 years earlier), and Odoya (a 4/5 defensemen in his mid-late 20s at the time).

It wouldn't surprise me to see JR part with pick's and prospects/young players (Dalpe, Bowman, even Rask, etc...) for a rental, but I'll be a bit surprised if Murphy is involved...unless it's a real top end guy with some time left on his contract coming back.

Murphy wouldn't be traded for a rental like Streit or Smid, I agree. But I could see Murphy involved in a deadline deal if the defenseman coming back is signed long term like Byfuglien or Yandle.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
If we're resigning Semin, money is not going to be plentiful in our future. So any long term 5m+ defensemen is a longshot. Especially, when Murphy is going to be playing for 1 million a year or so for several years.

ELC's are our friend. The bizarre love affair with Giordano is not.

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
And the cap is going down to 60 million.

$64.3M

We have $12.5M for next year to resign or replace: Semin, Larose, Nash (RFA), Brent, Corvo, Sanguinetti, and Ellis.

Larose we can probably let walk, he's played nowhere near his contract this year, when he hasn't been hurt. The way he's been playing, just giving his 3rd/4th line winger slot to someone like Terry or Bowman is fine.

Nash hasn't really put up the numbers to justify a huge bump in his 2nd deal

Brent is what he is, shouldn't be too expensive

Corvo, knock on wood, I wouldn't mind signing up for another year at $2m, or maybe 2yr at $1.5

Sanguinetti is probably due about $1m, maybe a hair more depending on if he keeps his current good play up or not. We could let him walk and just slot Murphy in there. In fact, I feel like Murphy is going to pretty much force us to play him next year based on his callup, so we probably resign one of Corvo/Sangs but not both.

Ellis is another toughy. If he'll take a two-way deal at around his current number that's fine, but honestly Petedawg has looked good too. It's actually a nice problem to have - two competent backups instead of zero.

So, adding up the guys besides Semin, and just cutting Larose, that brings us up to around $4.5m to resign those other guys, leaving $7.5 to play for. If we let Corvo walk that really opens things up.

I'm not worried. Plus, there's always the option of buying out, say, Ruutu, which would free up another $4.75.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
$64.3M

We have $12.5M for next year to resign or replace: Semin, Larose, Nash (RFA), Brent, Corvo, Sanguinetti, and Ellis.

Larose we can probably let walk, he's played nowhere near his contract this year, when he hasn't been hurt. The way he's been playing, just giving his 3rd/4th line winger slot to someone like Terry or Bowman is fine.

Nash hasn't really put up the numbers to justify a huge bump in his 2nd deal

Brent is what he is, shouldn't be too expensive

Corvo, knock on wood, I wouldn't mind signing up for another year at $2m, or maybe 2yr at $1.5

Sanguinetti is probably due about $1m, maybe a hair more depending on if he keeps his current good play up or not. We could let him walk and just slot Murphy in there. In fact, I feel like Murphy is going to pretty much force us to play him next year based on his callup, so we probably resign one of Corvo/Sangs but not both.

Ellis is another toughy. If he'll take a two-way deal at around his current number that's fine, but honestly Petedawg has looked good too. It's actually a nice problem to have - two competent backups instead of zero.

So, adding up the guys besides Semin, and just cutting Larose, that brings us up to around $4.5m to resign those other guys, leaving $7.5 to play for. If we let Corvo walk that really opens things up.

I'm not worried. Plus, there's always the option of buying out, say, Ruutu, which would free up another $4.75.
So that's 7.5M leftover without Semin signed? Doesn't that kind of emphasize the point? How do Semin and Giordano fit into $7.5M?

And letting Corvo walk...as limited as Corvo is, it will probably cost around his salary (if not more) to replace him since the only in-house replacement (Murphy) has been traded in this scenario.

Not to mention the big issues of Faulk and Tlusty being up for new contracts after next season. Having a player like Murphy on an ELC is incredibly valuable thing to this team. Just as Faulk/Tlusty/Skinner have been for the past couple seasons. You have to have players like that to compete.

Also, it's a big financial commitment for this team just to spend to the cap...I highly doubt they would do that *and* pay Ruutu for the next six years to not play for us.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If we can't get Faulk and Tlusty to accept bridge contracts and wait until the cap goes up, we could lose one of them.

Thankfully, we can trade either one for a king's ransom with the way they have been playing. Budding #1 d who can play in all situations? Goal scoring winger with good hockey sense, good shot and excellent defensively?

Zombie Mike Murphy

Mar 18, 2011
Wonder if WPG might have any interest in Rutuu? Don't they need fowards? What about something like Rutuu + ?? (Bowman, Dalpe, Nash, pick some random prospect not Rask or Murphy) + a pick for Byfuglien?

That would be a sexy move...and the Jumbo Jet only makes like a half mil more than rutuu so it's almost salary neutral.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Just decided to read all 9 pages of that 'Justin Faulk to Toronto' thread. Why did I just do that?

Morgan Rielly = Hall of Fame potential is officially the funniest thing I've ever read on this site.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Just decided to read all 9 pages of that 'Justin Faulk to Toronto' thread. Why did I just do that?

Morgan Rielly = Hall of Fame potential is officially the funniest thing I've ever read on this site.
All that hoopla over an 8.5 C ranking? If that translates to HOF, then Dougie Hamilton will be a first ballot HOFer with his 9.0 C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad