Trade Deadline- What to Do??

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I guess I find it hard to believe we are even in the running for a top 10 pick it has been so damn long!!

I see a group that is aging, we have a lot of young guys that hopefully can step up and take spots from Toews, Seabs, Hossa, Keith, etc..

I am usually the proponent for NOT trading away our first round picks, but for some reason this year I say go all-in and use it for a nice addition as this could be the last chance with this group...I dunno.

If we are not picking in the top 5, the chances of getting an NHL ready player for next year slims down a lot, still possible, but slim. And the only name I really covet in that range is Oliver Wahlstrom who IMO is this years Brock Boeser- absolute offensive underrated dynamo.

I still think this group can go a long way, and with the additions of youth like Cat, Schmaltz, Gus, etc..we have a better balance now. I guess I am a sucker for success right now instead of next year and beyond as I waited far too long in my life to see the Hawks succeed, hate to see that happen again.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Agree wholeheartedly. This team needs this 1st Rounder more than it has in a very, very long time. And as you said, if they're anywhere in that top 10 it's not a stretch to get an NHL ready player or damn close.

I would absolutely pay a large sum of money to watch the Hawks win the lottery with like a 1% chance or whatever it is if they're at the "higher" end of the lottery standings, for no other reason than to see HF Boards and social media implode about it. Total meltdown. It would be glorious.

Dahlin would catapult this team back into contender status.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
8 points in 9 games so at least he is gaining confidence in there. Dont know how he is playing behind stats but I think for him it's great that he is showing his offensive skills there.

He may get to Blackhawks the Hinostroza route and produce when he is ready but I like the kid.

Thanks Migi. I like Hayden too and look forward to a Hinostoza like impact once he returns!

I guess I find it hard to believe we are even in the running for a top 10 pick it has been so damn long!!

I see a group that is aging, we have a lot of young guys that hopefully can step up and take spots from Toews, Seabs, Hossa, Keith, etc..

I am usually the proponent for NOT trading away our first round picks, but for some reason this year I say go all-in and use it for a nice addition as this could be the last chance with this group...I dunno.

If we are not picking in the top 5, the chances of getting an NHL ready player for next year slims down a lot, still possible, but slim. And the only name I really covet in that range is Oliver Wahlstrom who IMO is this years Brock Boeser- absolute offensive underrated dynamo.

I still think this group can go a long way, and with the additions of youth like Cat, Schmaltz, Gus, etc..we have a better balance now. I guess I am a sucker for success right now instead of next year and beyond as I waited far too long in my life to see the Hawks succeed, hate to see that happen again.
It's all going to depend upon where we are leading up the the TDL. If we are making an epic run to make the PO's than maybe .. maybe trade our 1st depending upon what we are getting back because this would mean we're picking somewhere in the mid to high teens. If we are looking like we are missing the PO's than of course keep all of our picks and try to get a few more by selling a few players. To pick again in the top 10 is exciting ..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Thanks Migi. I like Hayden too and look forward to a Hinostoza like impact once he returns!

It's all going to depend upon where we are leading up the the TDL. If we are making an epic run to make the PO's than maybe .. maybe trade our 1st depending upon what we are getting back because this would mean we're picking somewhere in the mid to high teens. If we are looking like we are missing the PO's than of course keep all of our picks and try to get a few more by selling a few players. To pick again in the top 10 is exciting ..

agreed. if we are moving up the ranks and find a way into that 5 or 6 spot then do what is needed to be done to get us that chance.

if we are outside looking in with a potential top 10 pick, hard to move it for a hope and prayer at the playoffs or a first round exit.

I just don't think Stan is going to stand pat regardless of where we are, moves will be made, whether they are minor or major depends on where we sit like you said.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
agreed. if we are moving up the ranks and find a way into that 5 or 6 spot then do what is needed to be done to get us that chance.

if we are outside looking in with a potential top 10 pick, hard to move it for a hope and prayer at the playoffs or a first round exit.

I just don't think Stan is going to stand pat regardless of where we are, moves will be made, whether they are minor or major depends on where we sit like you said.
I tend to agree. I highly doubt he sells, and I don't see him standing completely pat. I bet he adds a depth winger with some scoring potential.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Offer up Wingels , Bouma , Jurco, Kempny , Rutta , Murphy and Anisimov

Doubt you can get much for the first five outside of late round picks or FC but Anisimov should get good return closer to deadline and if we can get out of Murphy deal Hawks should be all over it

If Hawks are out of playoff race or sliding down standings pull trigger on AA trade and be done with it

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If Hawks are out of playoff race or sliding down standings pull trigger on AA trade and be done with it

There couldn’t be a better year to be a seller, especially with a cost controlled center like AA. There are too many teams that have no business selling and need to make the playoffs. We could easily end up with our own pick in the top 10 and the AA pick in the top 20. Could do some damage in this draft and have a great young team. Then you just tell the old core to step it up or move down the lineup because the young bucks are taking over.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Lol get out of Murphy deal bwc gonna bwc

Murphy is a keeper in my mind .. I still would like to see what Jurco can reclaim of his former self as I think he has more to give. I also am not sure about giving up on Kempny ... Though one of he or Rutta may have to go.

Murphy is a keeper in anyone with a brain's mind. BWC does not like him because Stan traded for him. If Tallon traded for him BWC would be drooling all over Murphy as a prospect.

Reactions: jls24

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
There couldn’t be a better year to be a seller, especially with a cost controlled center like AA. There are too many teams that have no business selling and need to make the playoffs. We could easily end up with our own pick in the top 10 and the AA pick in the top 20. Could do some damage in this draft and have a great young team. Then you just tell the old core to step it up or move down the lineup because the young bucks are taking over.

Elliot Freidman last week said he's expecting more sellers than buyers. Might not be a great idea to sell.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Murphy is not worth his contract and Hawks would be best to move on from him if chance presents itself

This is factually and logically incorrect. Comments like this showcase your insane bias and lack of understanding of hockey. Murphy is a top4 defender on a 3.85 AAV deal and you want to trade him...I have ocean front property in Idaho that Dale Tallon used to own I would like to sell you, great deal trust me.

Reactions: jls24

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Elliot Freidman last week said he's expecting more sellers than buyers. Might not be a great idea to sell.

Either way it works out, AA is valuable to a lot of teams and should return a 1st now or at the draft. I’m just going off what the standings look like, just so much parity and few elite teams. Logically, if you had a good team and were just waiting for a year there were few juggernauts in your way, this would be the one in my opinion.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

You have to keep in mind that that same group needed Crawford playing at a Vezina level just to tread water at #2WC. Last night also goes to that--If Forsberg didn't play out of his mind we would have lost.

I don't think going all-in is smart unless the 'hawks are unassailably in the playoffs at the TDL. We saw what happened last year: Awesome February followed by a bad March, and come playoff time the whole team completely soiled themselves on the ice--especially the members of "This Group", who stank on ice.

I think the 'hawks need to look to the future at this point irrespective of whether or not they go all-in. That means no trading 1st round picks, and grooming guys like Jokiharju and the like rather than trading them away as stopgap measures to try to salvage the play of an underachieving core player. The sooner they can reload when the bulk of the core's contracts expire come 2023, the better--and that means grooming and developing guys now.

Colonel X

The Kentucky Colonel
Nov 16, 2013
Louisville
The Hawks need to hold on to 1st round picks for dear life. This group doesn't feel or look like a serious cup contender. I think there is such an uphill battle to even make the playoffs at this point that doing so would leave them spent and give them nothing in the tank for a run once there.

I hate the idea of dealing AA because this team looks a lot better with him on the ice, but if he brings in a good return, this is the year to do so.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Keep the 1st round pick. Look to add a winger that can boot Wingels out of the lineup to hedge the risk that Sikura doesn't sign after his season is over (or isn't ready to contribute in a playoff series), and then maybe swing a deal for a depth defenseman, although that would worry me a bit because we saw what happened last year when that happened.

If Crow is still dealing with health issues then possibly skip the defenseman route and go after a goaltender to make sure Glass doesn't get starts when its down to the wire. Someone with an expiring deal that would be cheap, ideally with playoff experience, like Halak, or Mrazek for a younger tender that can compete with Forsberg for the backup spot when Crow is ready (they can re-sign Mrazek in the summer if they desire)

I don't think they should stand pat, just don't give up any meaningful assets. There were a few occasions in the past where a low key TDL acquisition led to a great run. One, when they acquired Oduya in 2012 they went on a very long win streak IIRC, and then Handzus was lightning in a bottle. Go that route imo.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
You move anybody on an expiring UFA and make zero additions.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
You move anybody on an expiring UFA and make zero additions.

WOuld you move Ryan Hartman for a similar aged/potential D-man?

I think with Hayden, Highmore and SIkura coming in, and emergence of Kampf, Hinostroza - he could be expendable.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
WOuld you move Ryan Hartman for a similar aged/potential D-man?

I think with Hayden, Highmore and SIkura coming in, and emergence of Kampf, Hinostroza - he could be expendable.

Depends on the dman, but yes, I agree Hartman isn't untouchable by any means. I'd probably sooner move Hayden than Hartman, but Hartman would probably net you more (or add more perceived value to a package).

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Depends on the dman, but yes, I agree Hartman isn't untouchable by any means. I'd probably sooner move Hayden than Hartman, but Hartman would probably net you more (or add more perceived value to a package).

I think that when you posted that Hartman for Schmaltz in main forum, it really sounded good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad