GDT: Trade Deadline Thread

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Coaches are not supposed to have cap hits.

Troy Brouwer Playoff History:
98GP
15:47ATOI
15G
17A

Over 56 games that is a career playoff pace for 9 goals and 10 assists.
Over 56 games in 20162017 that is a recorded 10 goals and 11 assists.

You are expecting him to "step up his game" in the playoffs... why?

1st part. [mod] Team chemistry is a real thing and it's not something the coaches instill.

2nd part. Rewatch the Dallas series; Brouwer was a deciding factor. He gave St Louis a major round in that playoffs; it's all you can really ask for, from more of a role player winger.

3rd part. Again, watch Dallas series again. He stepped up big time, he had a great playoffs in general last year not reflected alone on the scoreboard. Again, this comes back around to you not commenting about something you just don't know about man.

It's going to be hard to accept. But you're wrong here. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
1st part. [mod] Team chemistry is a real thing and it's not something the coaches instill.

2nd part. Rewatch the Dallas series; Brouwer was a deciding factor. He gave St Louis a major round in that playoffs; it's all you can really ask for, from more of a role player winger.

3rd part. Again, watch Dallas series again. He stepped up big time, he had a great playoffs in general last year not reflected alone on the scoreboard. Again, this comes back around to you not commenting about something you just don't know about man.

It's going to be hard to accept. But you're wrong here. :laugh:

Sounds like someone is just spitballing nonsense to try and justify the terrible contract we gifted Brouwer for one lucky Playoffs.

Brouwer is ****. End of story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sounds like someone is just spitballing nonsense to try and justify the terrible contract we gifted Brouwer for one lucky Playoffs.

I'm not trying to defend him; like at all, I hope we lose him during the expansion process, but to say he didn't have an impressive playoff run last year is foolish... and also not true.

I don't particularly like the guy, I know he has a major voice in our locker room; he's overpaid for what he brings... but the reason he got a good contract is for what he did for St. Louis last year, let's not kid ourselves.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I think whether Brouwer brings it in the playoffs this season is going to be a major factor in whether he ends up in Vegas or not. I don't think he's that bad but he's overpaid by about a million and a half dollars; for a team pushing the cap that's something you have to remedy whether he was a big name UFA or not - but I think Brad's priority is success in the postseason. If Brouwer's play is a big factor in winning a series he's gonna stay.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

Did you watch the POs last year? Brouwer was one of the best PO performers on any team. period. :shakehead

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think guys like Brouwer, Chiasson, Ferland and guys like that are hard on the forecheck. And without that, especially in Gully's dump and chase system, puck retrieval is impossible.

You need guys that are willing to get the puck back. He's overpaid but he does a lot of the things you need to win hockey games.

Not to mention he's outstanding on the PK.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Brouwer was sold as being a good forechecker but when I'm watching I find that he really isn't. He's too slow, he makes bad reads, and worst of all he doesn't engage physically so he rarely wins puck battles.

There's a chance (however small) that what we've seen so far isn't the real Brouwer and that he might step it up down the stretch and into the playoffs. If he can elevate his game to "playoff Ferland" level then maybe he's worth keeping around. I'm hopeful but not optimistic, and I don't think it will be cheap/easy to dupe Vegas into taking the current Brouwer.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It's probably sacrilege, but if it comes down to the Kings or the Flames making the playoffs, I'm rooting for the Kings this year.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
It's probably sacrilege, but if it comes down to the Kings or the Flames making the playoffs, I'm rooting for the Kings this year.

I am as big of an Iggy fan as any Flames fan, but no way do I put LA before Calgary for a playoff run. I really wanted him to win a cup, yet, I hate the rental cup thing. 20 or so games of play then the playoffs. Blah

I feel for him. But, I also have a tremendous amount of respect for Doan not going that route.

I guess I hold loyalty and integrity attributes higher than most

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

Best case scenario, Flames and Kings both make it, and the Oilers drop out.
More realistic scenario, Flames and Kings both make it, and the Blues drop out.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

You better start praying to the hockey gods that one of the following teams starts getting ice cold and gets leap frogged:

Edmonton
St Louis
Ducks

Pray also that Winnipeg plays average and LA Kings get hot without injuring our players again in their bid for playoffs.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I am as big of an Iggy fan as any Flames fan, but no way do I put LA before Calgary for a playoff run. I really wanted him to win a cup, yet, I hate the rental cup thing. 20 or so games of play then the playoffs. Blah

I feel for him. But, I also have a tremendous amount of respect for Doan not going that route.

I guess I hold loyalty and integrity attributes higher than most

Doan didn't go that route simply because he likes the low key atmosphere in Az a lot. Also, he was totally willing to move at the deadline this year, but there were no takers.

re: The Kings: I do expect them to heat up, although I still think they're about a 50/50 shot to make the playoffs. And I'd naturally rather both LA and Cgy make it, but it seems more likely that one of the two teams doesn't make the cut (realistically LA is less likely to make the cutoff).

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Don't see St. Louis slipping unless the Shattenkirk move hurts them more than I think it will. They have as close to a guaranteed 6 wins as you can get plus whatever they manage in their other games not against Colorado/Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad