GDT: Trade Deadline Thread

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Trading season has started. A number of smaller deals had been made before the Flames acquired Stone and Penguins Hainsey.

TEAM A | TEAM A ACQUIRES | DATE | TEAM B ACQUIRES | TEAM B
Ottawa Senators | Marc Hagel | 01-Feb | Future Considerations | Minnesota Wild
Dallas Stars | Justin Peters, Justin Hache | 01-Feb | Brendan Ranford, Branden Troock | Arizona Coyotes
Edmonton Oilers | Henrik Samuelsson | 01-Feb | Mitchell Moroz | Arizona Coyotes
- | - | - | - | -
Nashville Predators | Vernon Fiddler | 04-Feb | 4th in '17 |
- | - | - | - | -
Washington Capitals | Tom Gilbert | 15-Feb | Conditional 5th in '17 | Los Angeles Kings
- | - | - | - | -
Toronto Maple Leafs | Sergey Kalinin | 18-Feb | Viktor Loov | New Jersey Devils
- | - | - | - | -
Calgary Flames | Michael Stone | 20-Feb | 3rd in '17, conditional 5th in '18 | Arizona Coyotes
- | - | - | - | -
Montreal Canadiens | Keegan Lowe | 21-Feb | Philip Samuelsson | Carolina Hurricanes
- | - | - | - | -
Pittsburgh Penguins | Ron Hainsey | 23-Feb | Danny Kristo, 2nd in '17 | Carolina Hurricanes
- | - | - | - | -
Anaheim Ducks | Patrick Eaves | 24-Feb | Conditional 2nd in '17 | Dallas Stars
Chicago Blackhawks | Tomas Jurco | 24-Feb | 3rd in '17 | Detroit Red Wings
- | - | - | - | -
Tampa Bay Lightning | Stefan Fornier | 25-Feb | Jeremy Morin | Arizona Coyotes
- | - | - | - | -
Los Angeles Kings | Ben Bishop, 5th in '17 | 26-Feb | Peter Budaj, Erik Cernak, 7th in '17 and a conditional pick in '17 | Tampa Bay Lightning
Minnesota Wild | Martin Hanzal, Ryan White, 4th in '17 | 26-Feb | Grayson Downing, 1st in '17, 2nd in '18 and a conditional pick in '19 | Arizona Coyotes
- | - | - | - | -
Arizona Coyotes | Teemu Pulkkinen | 27-Feb | Future Considerations | Minnesota Wild
Toronto Maple Leafs | Brian Boyle | 27-Feb | Brian Froese, Conditional 2nd in '17 |
Montreal Canadiens | Jordie Benn | 27-Feb | Greg Pateryn, 4th in '17 | Dallas Stars
Ottawa Senators | Alexandre Burrows | 27-Feb | Jonathan Dahlen | Vancouver Canucks
Washington Capitals | Kevin Shattenkirk, Phoenix Copley | 27-Feb | Zach Sanford, Brad Malone, 1st in '17, Conditional Pick in '18 | St. Louis Blues
- | - | - | - | -
New York Rangers | Brendan Smith | 28-Feb | 3rd in '17, 2nd in '18 | Detroit Red Wings
Ottawa Senators | Viktor Stalberg | 28-Feb | 3rd in '17 | Carolina Hurricanes
New York Rangers | Daniel Catenacci | 28-Feb | Mat Bodie | Buffalo Sabres
Chicago Blackhawks | Johnny Oduya | 28-Feb | Mark McNeill, 4th in '18 | Dallas Stars
Montreal Canadiens | Brandon Davidson | 28-Feb | David Desharnais | Edmonton Oilers
San Jose Sharks | Jannik Hansen | 28-Feb | Nikolay Goldobin, Conditional Pick in '17 | Vancouver Canucks
Montreal Canadiens | Steve Ott | 28-Feb | 6th in '18 | Detroit Red Wings

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think Bob Mckenzie nailed it on the head. We are looking at all our options to upgrade goaltending, but the price has to be right.

To me that also says we'll be doing more of the same and will only stay with Elliot past this season if we don't like our other options out there.

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
I am going to make a guess that Bishop is moved to either Dallas or Calgary.

I´ve seen this

Trade 4

To Calgary Flames = Ben Bishop (extension negotiated), Valtteri Filppula and Slater Koekkoek

To Tampa Bay Lightning = Dougie Hamilton, Brian Elliott, Oliver Kylington and Freddie Hamilton
Ben Bishop, Tampa Bay Lightning, NHL, Flames Targeting Ben Bishop

ANALYSIS: This one is, admittedly, straight out of NHL 17. No, not seriously, but it resembles something from a video game. A trade of this magnitude is rarer than a white buffalo. Nevertheless, once you get past the overwhelming unlikelihood, the deal could actually work out well for both teams. If the Lightning sell — and that’s still a big IF, in my opinion, with Steven Stamkos possibly returning for the stretch run and the playoffs within reach — then Bishop is their big fish as a pending free agent who has priced himself out of Tampa. To my knowledge, Calgary had a deal in place to acquire Bishop at the 2016 draft but it fell through based on Bishop’s contract demands at the time (supposedly seven years, $7 million per, $49 million total). That asking price has presumably come down, considering Bishop isn’t having a Vezina-worthy season and there aren’t many teams in the market for a high-priced starting goalie. Possibly Calgary, Dallas and then obviously Las Vegas if Bishop doesn’t move at the deadline. If Calgary could extend Bishop at a more reasonable rate — say, four years at $24 million ($6 million per) — the Flames could revisit that deal.

here: http://thehockeywriters.com/trade-d...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Isn´t that a gross overpayment? Goalies should be worth next to nothing. imo

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
No way I'd trade Hamilton for extended Bishop.

TB fans on HF seem to think Filppula as a cap dump, though it can be more about ED than his level of play.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
None of our core will be moved. Especially for a goalie. That's insane how bad that deal was.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That's ridiculously bad. Weird how underrated Hamilton has become since being traded out of Boston. From borderline franchise defenceman to an easily expendable piece despite posting career years offensively.

Maybe it's because Hamilton averages about a minute less than Wideman per game (19:39 vs 20:38) and four minutes less than Brodie and Giordano. Both Wideman and Hamilton average the same numbers of shifts (26.5) so maybe that extra minute is just how long it takes Wideman to get to the bench.

Also, likely due to his name always being in the rumor mill (thanks Chayka/Toronto)

Also from that website:
Trade 9
To Calgary Flames = Radim Vrbata and Nick Merkley

To Arizona Coyotes = Morgan Klimchuk, Tyler Wotherspoon, Mason McDonald and a 2017 third-round pick
I could live with this one. Basically upgrading Klimchuk to Merkley.
Trade 24
To Toronto Maple Leafs = Dennis Wideman

To Calgary Flames = Milan Michalek and Frank Corrado
This is acceptable.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
- I really don't think we move our top 3 Dmen.
- The F Hamilton part with Dougie at least makes me think whoever dreamed it up tried to think of optics. But missed the idea that moving one of the top 3D is silly.
- I don't think the trade takes into account that by trading Elliott, Blues get our 3rd. I think Johnson moving in a goalie trade is more likely. Money is better for other team with Johnson if choosing a rental of the two anyways.
- We add another left handed C (riches we have) instead of RW
- We nab a LHD and trade a LHD (Koekkek for Kylington). I don't get the point, use a pick to fix value instead.

Yeah, no. Even the other pieces involved make no sense for us.

I don't mind trades 9 and 24 either. I've been mulling the idea of a quantity for quality trade lately. I think we have the room to move guys up after this season, but I also think we should consolidate the cupboards after the nice drafts we've had lately.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Maybe it's because Hamilton averages about a minute less than Wideman per game (19:39 vs 20:38) and four minutes less than Brodie and Giordano. Both Wideman and Hamilton average the same numbers of shifts (26.5) so maybe that extra minute is just how long it takes Wideman to get to the bench. .

Better safe than sorry.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I´ve seen this

here: http://thehockeywriters.com/trade-d...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Isn´t that a gross overpayment? Goalies should be worth next to nothing. imo
Overpayment is an understatement.

Oh and trading Kylington?

burn-cities.gif

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The sheer badness of pretty much of every Flames-related trade rumour assures me that Calgary is the Arizona/Carolina of Canadian teams. :laugh:

You would think we were in 30th place with the indiscriminate selling of future superstars the media has us taking part in.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Eaves to Anaheim for a conditional 2nd that becomes a 1st if they reach the WCF and he plays 50% of the games.

Not gonna be any trades left for deadline day.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think aside from some minor depth deal Brad doesn't do much. Elliot is the #1 for the rest of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad