Trade deadline II / 2015-2016 Roster Discussion Thread

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I'm glad Poile got Franson and Santo early, I think that's all he needed to do. Yeah, it would have been nice to get a Vermette or something, but everyone was overpaying and we really only gave away a low first and a high risk high reward prospect for two pieces we needed. If we would have made these trades today instead of two weeks ago nobody would be complaining, or everybody would be complaining we didn't make it any earlier.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I'm glad Poile got Franson and Santo early, I think that's all he needed to do. Yeah, it would have been nice to get a Vermette or something, but everyone was overpaying and we really only gave away a low first and a high risk high reward prospect for two pieces we needed. If we would have made these trades today instead of two weeks ago nobody would be complaining, or everybody would be complaining we didn't make it any earlier.

Exactly. It's like letting kids open their Christmas presents on Christmas Eve and then they pout on Christmas morning because they don't have anything to open.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Maybe, though familiarity breeds contempt, so that also makes it a tad harder to get excited, knowing that these are retreads to a certain extent.

Santorelli was likely one of the top 3 forwards moved during/before the deadline (I'd place him behind Perron and a little behind Vermette), so I think Poile did a really solid job getting him, and it's probably one of the more underrated pick-ups of the deadline, IMO.

Something "bigger" would have been nice, but I just don't know how realistic it was this deadline. With all the great young pieces in place, and the team possibly playing over their head for most of the season, do you really sacrifice a Jones and/or Fiala to make the run this season? Tough call.

Predatorbill

Feb 20, 2005
Nashville
I don't feel that we are all in, but if I was DP I don't know that I would have pulled the trigger. If the chemistry was better, if Ellis were healthy, ang Rinne were playing better, I might have.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Preds should have gone after Timonen and one or both of Vermette and Bergenheim.

Franson has been bad and Santorelli isn't much.

Vermette sure, everyone wanted him. But why the other two? Neither address what is arguably the teams biggest need, size and physicality. Franson is better than Timonen, and Santorelli is better than Bergenheim.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I'm happy with nothing at the deadline. Getting a pick for Bartley/Volch/Bourque would have been fine, and trading one for a depth guy like Stewart would have been fine, but no big loss. We made our move a few weeks ago. I never expected anything unless Poile could go nuts and land Kessel.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Granted a lot of things have gone our way this season, but you have to assume our window isn't just this season. We kept all of our top prospects and young NHLers, so I'm fine with it.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
Looking at the going rates, I'm ok with sitting out deadline day. There certainly seemed like some desperation in the air with some of those transactions.
DP did try to bolster the team already, and hopefully those moves can payoff without killing the chemistry already there.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Keep in mind too we are essentially at the start of our window so the goal is to get better without giving up things that will make you worse in the following seasons. We did that, we gained two upgrades over what we had for basically and unknown or a hope to be.

We still have the core for next season. You still have guys like Fiala and Watson ready to make that next move up. Yeah could Poile have went nuts? Yeah he could. Would the team have been any better? I doubt it.

Are we close? Sure. I just don't believe the pieces we really needed were out there to be had, at least not for a reasonable price.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
While I am a little disappointed we didn't fill our hole at the third line, I feel like the prices were a bit silly today. Perhaps the most interesting thing that happened today was the prices seemed to come down the later the day got. Anaheim is really the only team I felt like got significantly better.

While I think Kimmo would've been a better addition than Franson and Jagr better than Santo, neither of these players are bad pick ups and can contribute. Franson gives us options down the road, and Santo can play center in a pinch. Also, I know Weber is thrilled to have his friend back on the team. While I wish we had gotten bigger and tougher up front and on the back end, I am very satisfied with the pieces we added.

Lastly, I don't think any team is a clear front runner in either conference, hence the lack of significant moves. Teams didn't want to give up too much in order to maybe have a chance. The West is a crap shoot with any team strong enough to best anyone else. The East is a conundrum between the top four teams.

Going to be an exciting play offs this year.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Highlight of the day was laughing at the tank-off between Arizona and Buffalo. That term gets way overused, but Buffalo in particular absolutely crossed the line between a rebuild and a tank today. That Neuvrith deal was just...awful.

twig

Dec 8, 2013
Franson and santo,not looking like such good pick ups so far.
At least i don't see any improvement yet.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Don't have much hope for the Bruins, so I'm kind of rooting for the Predators, come Playoff time. But did the Predators do anything leading up to and on Trade Deadline day??? What's the thoughts around here about that?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Don't have much hope for the Bruins, so I'm kind of rooting for the Predators, come Playoff time. But did the Predators do anything leading up to and on Trade Deadline day??? What's the thoughts around here about that?

Got rid of our 1st, an undersized forward prospect (Leipsic), Olli Jokinen, Derek Roy, (lost arcobello on waivers after trade of roy) brought in Cody Franson & Mike Santorelli ... that's it, I believe

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Got rid of our 1st, an undersized forward prospect (Leipsic), Olli Jokinen, Derek Roy, (lost arcobello on waivers after trade of roy) brought in Cody Franson & Mike Santorelli ... that's it, I believe
LOL 'undersized'. Like Marchand? Like Fiala? Like Sullivan? I see the rationalizing has already begun.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
LOL 'undersized'. Like Marchand? Like Fiala? Like Sullivan? I see the rationalizing has already begun.

No idea what those guys were projected to be like when they were Leipsic's age. But to be fair he is projected to be bottom 6. We can all hope and dream he would be a Sullivan type but that is not the current thinking of the guys who are paid to project that type of thing. This was a fact discussed at the time of the trade and not some post trade rationalizing occurring now because of a slump.

Also, Fiala has no business being listed between Marchand and Sullivan at this point either.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville

Do all undersized guys turn into Martin St.Louis?

Just because a few guys beat the odds, doesn't mean they all will or that it's not a legitimate concern when evaluating a prospect.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Looking at the teams after the deadline, I think the Ducks is the team to fear. They're going to look really good come playoff time. I'd still put the Preds up there as well. Once we get back the momentum and the D finally gels, I think we'll be back to elite level.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00