Trade deadline II / 2015-2016 Roster Discussion Thread

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Looking at the teams after the deadline, I think the Ducks is the team to fear. They're going to look really good come playoff time. I'd still put the Preds up there as well. Once we get back the momentum and the D finally gels, I think we'll be back to elite level.

Who's to say we will? I think this team is special but there are no guarantees of the team getting back on the roll they've been on this year.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Who's to say we will? I think this team is special but there are no guarantees of the team getting back on the roll they've been on this year.

There are no guarantees but I do not think their play this season is a fluke. I am just worried about when the playoff style hockey comes around and how they will fair. I think they can do great against run n' gun teams but a team that can shut you down, we will struggle with.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Of course there are no guarantees, but we are the team that has gotten to be the best team in the league 3/4 the way through an entire season. We have a little over a month to get this right. I believe we will.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
The Closer's Future Blueprint

so do we sign either Santorelli or Franson back next year?

I think Franson will be too much for a guy that could be a 4th or 5th but Santorelli I would bring back on a 1 or 2 year deal depending on how he does the rest of the way and in the playoffs.

Keeping in mind, we have Fiala, Arvidsson, Aberg, Salomaki, and Kirkland (at some point) - Kirkland is further away at this time but the other 4 could compete for spots next year.

I know it's early to do this but I'm on adderall and thinking Preds- the following are UFA/RFA or a couple guys I think we will move, re-sign or let walk.

I listed who I think we'll re-sign and my idea money wise and term and who we'll let walk or trade away.

Beck (RFA) - walk
Bourque (RFA) - walk
Cullen (UFA) - walk
Fisher (UFA) - 2yrs/4-4.5 per
Jarnkrok (RFA) - 2yrs/1.25-1.75 per
Ribeiro (UFA) - 2yrs/3.5-4.5 per
Santorelli (UFA) - 1-2yrs/1.75-2.25 (1.5 is what he makes this year)
Smith (RFA) - 3-4yrs/3.25-4 per or traded in a package to TML for Kessel
Wilson (RFA) - 3-4yrs/3.25-4.25per
Bartley (2yrs left UFA) - trade for late pick at draft (6th-7th rd) or during the offseason for some pucks and a couple dimes
Franson (UFA) - walk due to amount he can bring in on open market
Volchenkov (UFA) - walk
Stalberg (3yrs left - UFA) - trade for 4th-7th rd pick at draft or sometime in the offseason
Nystrom (3yrs left - UFA) - trade with a pick for a small upgrade/physical upgrade to our 4th line? - i know he plays physical at times but other than that?? we need someone on our 4th or 3rd line that will pick up the physicality with the likes of Reaves, Desjardins, Shaw, Bickell, McLeod, the Jets s***bags.
- this is why I was a proponent of getting Chris Neil before he broke his thumb. This play could still be in the cards.

Maybe Toronto, Buffalo, Carolina, Edmonton, or Arizona will take Stalberg or Bartley to help fill out the roster. Those teams won't be in contention next year either so they may still be trying to fill out their rosters.

Also, as a discalimer and a lead proponent in adding Phil Kessel, I think we make a major run at him at draft day. Not trying to restart Kessel rumors but...

TML - Smith + Ellis + Gortz/Watson +Sissons + 2016 1st + 2016/2017 3rd
NSH - Kessel + Lupul (50% retained; making it a $2.625M cap hit vs. $5.25M)+ Polak/Robidas (35% retained on either- contracts would then be--- RP $1,787,500 & SR $1,950,000)

-disclaimer: Added a defenseman incase we do move Ellis in this deal we don't/can't re-sign Franson.

Could also sign a 4th, 5th and/or 6th d-man in FA period - listed the best available UFA's
Mike Green - probably too expensive (more than Franson)
Lubomir Visnovsky - old but still plays sound
Andrej Meszaros - not a bad pick up for 3rd pairing, with a limited/roll on 2nd pair
Paul Martin - probably too expensive (same as Franson)
Robyn Regehr - good fit IMO - would work well with Jones or Ekholm
Johnny Oduya - Hawks won't re-sign him - has play well for CHI
Andrej Sekera - guy I want, but will probably re-sign in LA
Christian Ehrhoff - Pens probably re-sign, would be nice for a 1yr deal

My wishlist for d-men
1. Andrej Sekera - 2-3yrs/3.75-4.5
2. Johnny Oduya - 2yrs/3-3.25
3. Robyn Regehr - 1yr/3-3.5
4. Lubomir Visnovsky - 1yr/2.5-3

Obviously our prospects won't all fill the roster, as some will be left for further development but I don't know who we would look to sign. Maybe Winnik for a 3rd line winger spot or 4th line. And finally, none of our d prospects IMO are close to being ready. Ishmael-Diaby is the most ready physically but Doherty is our best d prospect as far as all around talent, but he is a freshman at Wisconsin and not ready yet from what I've read.

Sorry for the long post, but I had some time and wanted to type this out. My sort of blue print for the off-season without 100% of time and thought out ideas. I just kinda took this post and started running with it. I'm not sure if my money amounts will add fit or work under the cap, I didn't do all the math' no time for that.

Our defense outlook depends upon re-signings and potential trades at draft day/during the offseason. i.e) letting Franson walk or re-siging him.

Let me know your thoughts and be kind please haha, I'm on your side and wanna see a cup in Nashville...this year would be GREAT! :naughty:

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
There are no guarantees but I do not think their play this season is a fluke. I am just worried about when the playoff style hockey comes around and how they will fair. I think they can do great against run n' gun teams but a team that can shut you down, we will struggle with.
You say that yet we've looked good against the Ducks and the Blues for the most part.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
You say that yet we've looked good against the Ducks and the Blues for the most part.

Eh. Playoffs are totally different beast though.

I feel confident for the preds going in the playoffs.

Look at recent trends for successful teams going in to the playoffs. You need to be hot the last 5-8 games going in. Slumping or resting guys heading in hurts more than helps.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Let me know your thoughts and be kind please haha, I'm on your side and wanna see a cup in Nashville...this year would be GREAT! :naughty:

I think that we will try to re-sign Santo at a reasonable price; of course his fit the rest of the season will play a big part of the decision. Franson will be too expensive for what will be a third pairing d-man.

You are way too cheap on the Ribs extension, but we have to re-sign him and Fish. We don't have any centers ready to take on a top-6 role. Jarnkrok's play has confirmed that he isn't going to be one.

Similar to the last offseason, our D is set other than an inexpensive third pairing left-hander. We will make a similar signing to the Volchenkov one in hopes to push Bartley back to the 7th d-man role.

Cullen should probably retire, but similar to last season, he's gotten hot right around the trade deadline. He ended the year on fire last season and looks to be doing it again. If he can continue to roll through the end of the season and the playoffs, we'd have to strongly consider re-signing him to a short deal.

Beck/Bourque- Depends how cheap and who we have ready to replace them.

Stalberg and Nystrom are untradeable due to their contracts.

I'd love to get Kessel, but I don't think that we have the assets to make it happen (without a 1st). Also, I'd take Smith off of the table (even though I was all for him being the centerpiece of the deal previously). He leads the team in shots by a wide margin which is something that we can't afford to lose.

Last edited:

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
I wish we would have traded for Bergenheim tbh. Franson will/should settle in and Santo has played the way we expected him to play.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
You are way too cheap on the Ribs extension, but we have to re-sign him and Fish.

Similar to the last offseason, our D is set other than an inexpensive third pairing left-hander. We will make a similar signing to the Volchenkov one in hopes to push Bartley back to the 7th d-man role.

Beck/Bourque- Depends how cheap and who we have ready to replace them.

What do you think Ribeiro is worth? Similar contract money-wise that the 'Yotes gave him before the fall out minus the 4yrs?

Lubomir Visnovsky is a LHD and is going to be 39 - 1yr @ 2-2.5?
He's coming off of a deal that got him $6M per season (cap hit atleast) - obviously not worth that money.
And I listed all the d-men and choices in the off chance we move Ellis in a bigger deal.

Beck/Bourque can both go. They are more of the same and personally I don't think they bring much more to the table than any of our other bottom forwards. Maybe Beck a little more but I could still see us letting them go elsewhere.

Thanks for the feedback..

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Well Ribs could get 4 to 5 honestly somewhere other than Nashville honestly. I think he will sign here for 3.5 to 4. That is if his wife has any say so. 3.5 to 4 is a offer that will not be considered lowball. If he is committed to his spouse who picked the Nashville area to live and repair there relationship I think he will be content at that salary. If not and wants to be a knucklehead he moves on.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
I guess Preds fans couldn't care less at this point, but one last interview from Jokinen regarding Nashville (in finnish though):

http://yle.fi/urheilu/olli_jokinen_pettyi_nashvillen_pomoihin_lopettakaa_please/7843606

Some highlights translated:

- He really struggled playing wing. If he had known that he wouldn't get a chance to play center even at the training camp, he would never have signed with Nashville
- Not bitter about time here, but still disappointed at how GMs and coaches promise and promise things that ultimately never materialise

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Since the trade on Feb 15:

Wins - 3, Loss - 5, OTL(SO) 1

If you don't count the two games that they did not play in our record is:

Wins - 2, Loss - 4, OTL 1

Stats for:

CF - 7gp, 0 g, 2 a, 2 pts, +2
MS - 7gp, 0 g, 1 a, 1 pt, -2

Just say'n.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Again, correlation does not imply causation.

But the Jokinen curse may be real.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Beck (RFA) - walk
Bourque (RFA) - walk
Cullen (UFA) - walk
Fisher (UFA) - 2yrs/4-4.5 per
Jarnkrok (RFA) - 2yrs/1.25-1.75 per
Ribeiro (UFA) - 2yrs/3.5-4.5 per
Santorelli (UFA) - 1-2yrs/1.75-2.25 (1.5 is what he makes this year)
Smith (RFA) - 3-4yrs/3.25-4 per or traded in a package to TML for Kessel
Wilson (RFA) - 3-4yrs/3.25-4.25per
Bartley (2yrs left UFA) - trade for late pick at draft (6th-7th rd) or during the offseason for some pucks and a couple dimes
Franson (UFA) - walk due to amount he can bring in on open market
Volchenkov (UFA) - walk
Stalberg (3yrs left - UFA) - trade for 4th-7th rd pick at draft or sometime in the offseason
Nystrom (3yrs left - UFA) - trade with a pick for a small upgrade/physical upgrade to our 4th line? - i know he plays physical at times but other than that?? we need someone on our 4th or 3rd line that will pick up the physicality with the likes of Reaves, Desjardins, Shaw, Bickell, McLeod, the Jets s***bags.
- this is why I was a proponent of getting Chris Neil before he broke his thumb. This play could still be in the cards.

Maybe Toronto, Buffalo, Carolina, Edmonton, or Arizona will take Stalberg or Bartley to help fill out the roster. Those teams won't be in contention next year either so they may still be trying to fill out their rosters.

Also, as a discalimer and a lead proponent in adding Phil Kessel, I think we make a major run at him at draft day. Not trying to restart Kessel rumors but...

TML - Smith + Ellis + Gortz/Watson +Sissons + 2016 1st + 2016/2017 3rd
NSH - Kessel + Lupul (50% retained; making it a $2.625M cap hit vs. $5.25M)+ Polak/Robidas (35% retained on either- contracts would then be--- RP $1,787,500 & SR $1,950,000)

-disclaimer: Added a defenseman incase we do move Ellis in this deal we don't/can't re-sign Franson.

That's a nice wish list; how about applying a little something from the other side. Who is gonna' take Stalberg - he's already passed waivers. Same with Nystrom - paid pretty well for a passable-at-best 4th liner. No way Poile is gonna' have both Fish and Ribs on same contract expiration - past history says he staggers them, plus we got nobody coming through the system right now to play C. If you're moving Willy or Smith there, you're moving one and not signing them both. I think Poile signs them to staggered terms.

Why would Santo take a short contract like that? He's played pretty well since he left Nashville - you'd think he could get a little better deal than that. You don't let Bartley walk away without have 2 Dmen ready at Milw - and we don't. If we had one Barts is a great 7th and if we don't sign anyone and have to go with Bitteto or someone Barts is more than serviceable on that 3rd pair with Jones for a very good price. One of Beck or Bourque probably stays, too, unless Poile is inclined to bring Dickie back up next year - someone has to skate with Goose/Nystrom and we need a perma-scratch.

Cullen should retire, and if he doesn't, I can't see Poile giving him a contract unless he somehow has an incredible PO. We got kids that have to get some kinda' chance - Sissons, Watson, Fiala sometime during next season (although I don't expect him to start up).

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
pertaining to Stalberg, I was saying someone might take a flyer on him to fill out a roster. Obviously I know he's passed through waivers, but he could still fetch a small something to a bottom feeder team that needs to fill out a roster.

And I'm only saying sign a defenseman if there is a need and Wilson or Smith for Kessel. Kinda forgot about Bitetto.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00