Speculation: Trade Deadline Discussion Part VIII - loud noises, a gasp, and a thud

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
im not the only one who wants to KEEP MERRIL PLEAAASEEEEE right? this place is a funny farm these days

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
vanek gets injured too much for me to want him as a devil. plus, darcy regier puts ridiculous value on his players and wont move them unless its a pretty big overpayment. no thanks.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Vanek gets at least what Pominville got, if not more. Do you want to pay the price?

We're talking Boucher, Wedgewood, a 1st, and a 2nd, if not more.

Yes. Without question.

Vanek is like their version of Elias. Quiet guy that doesn't get a lot of mainstream attention, but makes everyone on the ice better.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Vanek gets at least what Pominville got, if not more. Do you want to pay the price?

We're talking Boucher, Wedgewood, a 1st, and a 2nd, if not more.

nope. not worth it imo.

we. shouldve. gotten. draft. picks. at. the. deadline.

i love lou, but he bungled this big time

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes. Without question.

Vanek is like their version of Elias. Quiet guy that doesn't get a lot of mainstream attention, but makes everyone on the ice better.

I think I would probably take that deal, too. Then try to re-sign Elias and maybe Clarkson, and if necessary let Zids walk. If there's a single player in the whole leaugue I'd compare favorably to Elias in his prime, it would be Vanek.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Merrill + another prospect (Why would they want another G?) + 1 + 2?

Yep I do that for Vanek. 2 prospects sucks but whatever. The 2nd is like a 20% shot at an NHLer so what's the big deal. And we don't play our 1st round draft picks anyway.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

With the way things are going for us ATM, there's not a chance in hell I'd move our 1st round pick... if it isn't to move up in the draft. We have a legit shot at probably selecting somewhere in the top #10, if we keep this current pace of mediocrity.

I like Vanek, alot, but if we can land a stud prospect that will grow with Larsson, Henrique, Loktionov, Matteau and maybe Josefson... I'd rather take that route then cripple our already weak pipeline for a player that won't bring us over the top in the next year or two.

We have a **** load of pending UFA's, we don't know who will resign with us prior to the draft, Marty is turning 41 and Moose... well yeah, so I'd rather build a solid base for the long run then anything else.

Just my pov

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
the way pete is handling larsson makes me think we should just trade our prospects for proven NHLers. pete's willing to play scrubs instead of larsson, why would we want to subject merrill to that nonsense and probably ruin him too? better to get the value we can out of our prospects and picks before they're subjected to this nonsense and become worthless ala tedenby.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
not saying im giving up by any means at all, but i will say the way larsson is being handled is definitely concerning me.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Most of the newly acquired players have done fairly well in their debuts with their respective teams. Hopefully Sullivan follows suit.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Good Lord people.

LARSSON HAS NOT BEEN RUINED.

I wouldn't say ruined for the simple fact that he's just 20 years of age, but I have to say this...

I didn't think he'd be this "average" for a kid that was talked about as being a generational talent at his position. Granted, it's very very very earlier in his career but he hasn't showned any flashes of "brilliance" just yet in his first two seasons and judging by his icetime and constant benching, one would think that he's not improving all that much as well.

There's no way we should be throwing the towel on this kid but I was expecting a little more then what we're getting ATM.

Please, this is no knock on the kid cause I mentionned several times in my post that it's still wayyyyyyyyyyy too early to crap on him since he's just 20, but to me, it seems as if he's regressing instead of improving, if you compare his play from his rookie year and what he's giving us today.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
something to think about that i just remembered. since lou didnt send any of the AHL eligible guys down prior to the deadline (even if to call them right back up), none of them would be eligible to play in AHL playoffs if NJ misses and albany somehow squeaks in. also, you are restricted to four AHL nonemergency callups between the deadline and end of the season. not that the devils will even come close to using them all but josefson is recall #1.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I wouldn't say ruined for the simple fact that he's just 20 years of age, but I have to say this...

I didn't think he'd be this "average" for a kid that was talked about as being a generational talent at his position. Granted, it's very very very earlier in his career but he hasn't showned any flashes of "brilliance" just yet in his first two seasons and judging by his icetime and constant benching, one would think that he's not improving all that much as well.

There's no way we should be throwing the towel on this kid but I was expecting a little more then what we're getting ATM.

Please, this is no knock on the kid cause I mentionned several times in my post that it's still wayyyyyyyyyyy too early to crap on him since he's just 20, but to me, it seems as if he's regressing instead of improving, if you compare his play from his rookie year and what he's giving us today.

IMO it isn't fair to compare his rookie season to this season. He was playing lights out to start the season, I think he was logging somwhere in the mid to high 20s in icetime. He was used on the PP and pretty much was allowed take more risk with the puck under Robinson. It seems like this year Stevens is focusing on his defensive play. With fatigue combined with the Subban hit, Larsson never really gained back his form he showed early on.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

IMO it isn't fair to compare his rookie season to this season. He was playing lights out to start the season, I think he was logging somwhere in the mid to high 20s in icetime. He was used on the PP and pretty much was allowed take more risk with the puck under Robinson. It seems like this year Stevens is focusing on his defensive play. With fatigue combined with the Subban hit, Larsson never really gained back his form he showed early on.

I don't know why I keep seeing "the Subban hit" when talking about Larsson's current play. I mean, it's been what, over a year ago, if not more? When does a guy recover from getting drilled into the boards?

The only problem I have with Larsson is that we are teaching him to be solid defensively, and that's perfect, but why are we telling him to stop doing what he does best when learning another wrinkle in his game? Why can't he do both?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

for how big he is, Larsson get's punished with hits. He needs to somehow get more foot speed and bulk up at the same time. Anyone have Barry Bonds on speed dial?

Let's call James Brown for the "foot speed" and Barry Bonds for the "Roids"... :naughty:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

I don't really have any issue with it. With young talent, especially defensemen, you have to nurture them. I don't think he's regressed at all. Asking a sophomore defenseman to refine his play in his own zone is an important part of his development curve. His offensive skill is still going to be there in a year.

He's still growing physically and mentally, he's going to have set backs. And playing on a garbage team that gets shelled every night isn't helping.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I don't really have any issue with it. With young talent, especially defensemen, you have to nurture them. I don't think he's regressed at all. Asking a sophomore defenseman to refine his play in his own zone is an important part of his development curve. His offensive skill is still going to be there in a year.

He's still growing physically and mentally, he's going to have set backs. And playing on a garbage team that gets shelled every night isn't helping.

I don't question that... I just don't know why he can't do both. I don't understand how you can't work on your defensive game while still contributing offensively. We'd get the best of both worlds but now, we're getting a d-men who's learning how to play in his own zone whitout the positive we know he can bring offensively.

If we had 2 or 3 offensive minded d-men who can contribute offensively, I'd be ok with the fact that he needs to focus solely on his defensive game but that isn't the case at all.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
for how big he is, Larsson get's punished with hits. He needs to somehow get more foot speed and bulk up at the same time. Anyone have Barry Bonds on speed dial?

i have a novel idea for deebo. he should play him over harrold. i know, mindblowing right? they should pay me.

**** deebo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad