Speculation: Trade Deadline Discussion Part VIII - loud noises, a gasp, and a thud

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
If anyone honestly thinks Gionta is a better NHL player than Josefson then I don't know what to say anymore. I know most of you are ridiculous but come on now

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They would get hemmed in a lot less if two simple things are done.

1. Let Carter take the god damn faceoffs. Win more faceoffs they can break out more, and sustain more pressure.

2. Pete needs to stop putting them against other team's top lines. They are ALWAYS out against 1st lines. Everytime Stamkos was on the ice in the Tampa game so was CBGB. Come on, just asking for trouble that way. They need to be used as a 4th line that just wrecks the bottom lines of other teams.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They would get hemmed in a lot less if two simple things are done.

1. Let Carter take the god damn faceoffs. Win more faceoffs they can break out more, and sustain more pressure.

2. Pete needs to stop putting them against other team's top lines. They are ALWAYS out against 1st lines. Everytime Stamkos was on the ice in the Tampa game so was CBGB. Come on, just asking for trouble that way. They need to be used as a 4th line that just wrecks the bottom lines of other teams.
Home team gets last change, but this right here. Tampa Bay's new Lars Ulrich looking coach was putting Stammer out everytime he saw CBGB and the Volchenkov/Harrold pairing. It was very scary.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
It doesn't matter which one is better because the 4th line center spot is going to come down to carter

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
and because the rest of the team is playing soft as cookie dough. is he great? no. are there better players than him in the league? yes. is JJ one of them? no.

Oh is that all we're talking about? Yeah I can give you that. Josefson's got that whole "upside" thing going on, but the tail end of his last stint in Newark was pretty sad. That's not gonna last forever though. Plus I'd still rather see Kostopoulos on the ice than Gionta these days.

RJK

Feb 25, 2010
NC
i think next year is the make or break year for yayo. i was hoping he would contribute this year just like everyone else but he hasn't looked ready for the majority of his time with the big club. i would have been fine with moving him at the deadline TBH

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
i think next year is the make or break year for yayo. i was hoping he would contribute this year just like everyone else but he hasn't looked ready for the majority of his time with the big club. i would have been fine with moving him at the deadline TBH

I don't think that's fair, he's impressed pretty much every time he's been up until this most recent stretch of games. Lemaire raved about him, Deboer put him with Kovalchuk the next year, he bumped Sykora out of the lineup for a long stretch of games including the playoffs when he came back from injury, all in all he's handled everything pretty well until this most recent disappointment.

RJK

Feb 25, 2010
NC
I don't think that's fair, he's impressed pretty much every time he's been up until this most recent stretch of games. Lemaire raved about him, Deboer put him with Kovalchuk the next year, he bumped Sykora out of the lineup for a long stretch of games including the playoffs when he came back from injury, all in all he's handled everything pretty well until this most recent disappointment.

he looked to have made the team regularly before he broke his clavicle. this year outside a handful of games where he played solid defense and got a couple good chances that didn't go he's looked....not ready. imo

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I guarantee we have a free agent/trade goalie fill the gap between Brodeur and Kinkaid/Wedgewood. It shouldn't be a concern.

People freaked out when Hedberg played this year. "This is life when Brodeur retires." Wrong. We'll have a better goalie than Hedberg as our full time goalie once Brodeur leaves.

Yes, but they don't come for free. And we're really not doing anything to get our homegrown goalie prospects ready for the show. Kinkaid really should have gotten a start.

Totally serious. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him get a few one-year deals after this one. It's not like he has shown any signs of slowing down. He's not the Vezina caliber goalie he once was, but he's still above average.

Marty might be able to do it, but I don't know if that would be the best thing for the team.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
On the team, Gionta is 7th in Goals Against (29), 3rd worst forward behind Kovalchuk and Henrique, for the 12th biggest TOI with a PDO over 1000 and a Corsi Relative in the abysses of the league.

That makes a lot bad stats and we can't say he's been particularly unlucky either. Eyetest is telling me he's having a very lucky season, to be honest.

He's a fan favorite though and people love him because he's all heart. But he's getting less ice-time compared to the start of the season.

Say hello Sully.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
wow gio's getting some road rash being stuck under the bus that is the last few pages. hes the guy i never worry about taking a shift off. what has JJ done that makes him so much better, pray tell? i know he's a high draft pick, a swedish dreamboat, and he damn sure better turn out to be a better player than gio, but right now, its not even close.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Gio's better offensively than Josefson at this point, that's it. Nothing else to brag about on either end. In every other aspect of the game (defensively/PK/faceoffs) 'last season's' version of Josefson blows Gio out of the water, but this season's version has been just as bad if not worse.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
wow gio's getting some road rash being stuck under the bus that is the last few pages. hes the guy i never worry about taking a shift off. what has JJ done that makes him so much better, pray tell? i know he's a high draft pick, a swedish dreamboat, and he damn sure better turn out to be a better player than gio, but right now, its not even close.

One is producing in the NHL right now and the other needs to work on his game. I agree 100%, I know it's easy to pick on the little guy, but he does about as much as anyone could expect from him.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Gio's on my bleep list now because he was directly responsible for losing a few points last week with missed defensive assignments and failing to clear the puck out of the zone late in games.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Gio's on my bleep list now because he was directly responsible for losing a few points last week with missed defensive assignments and failing to clear the puck out of the zone late in games.

if that’s all it takes, your bleep list better be miles long..

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I think that over an 82 game season, Pete will be more willing to give the young kids a start because the games mean less overall.

However this year the games mean way more. The difference between last place and 16th (League wide) is only 5 wins worth of points compared to last year when it was 15 wins worth.

Sure you can go with this mentality if Moose was AMAZING and was not the reason for the losses, however he was actually a big reason why they lost; giving up alot of weak goals. I can't agree with anyone who sides with deboer on this. He should've gave one of the kids a chance.

Is it really shocking that no other team wanted the poor and overpaid defensemen that everyone complains about?

Any other team would probably only be interested in Larsson, Fayne, or Greene.. You want to trade one of them?

I find it hard to belive no one wanted tallinder.

Totally serious. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him get a few one-year deals after this one. It's not like he has shown any signs of slowing down. He's not the Vezina caliber goalie he once was, but he's still above average.

This will be entirely dependent on how the team does I think. If the devils win the cup this year or next, Brodeur is done after the contract is up. If they don't win within the next two years, he may play for one or two more years but I doubt he will keep playing if they keep losing. Didn't all the average post-lockout seasons make him consider retirement.

Last edited:

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Is it really shocking that no other team wanted the poor and overpaid defensemen that everyone complains about?

Any other team would probably only be interested in Larsson, Fayne, or Greene.. You want to trade one of them?

I find it hard to belive no one wanted tallinder.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

This will be entirely dependent on how the team does I think. If the devils win the cup this year or next, Brodeur is done after the contract is up. If they don't win within the next two years, he may play for one or two more years but I doubt he will keep playing if they keep losing. Didn't all the average post-lockout seasons make him consider retirement.

Spiral21x

Nov 6, 2011
Sure you can go with this mentality if Moose was AMAZING and was not the reason for the losses, however he was actually a big reason why they lost; giving up alot of weak goals. I can't agree with anyone who sides with deboer on this. He should've gave one of the kids a chance.

Absolutely..Hedberg was quite weak in that stretch, the kids should've gotten more starts. I'm kind of baffled about the whole thing. We have 3 prospect goalies and they've seen a total of what..3 games over the last 2 years.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
i wouldnt be upset if gionta was the odd man out if the devils got healthy. but with that being said, i dont mind him and the chemistry CBGB has as a FOURTH LINE is something that doesnt happen everyday. one thing though is he doesnt belong on the PK, i think he is absolutely terrible at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad