Speculation: Trade Deadline Discussion Part VIII - loud noises, a gasp, and a thud

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I have no idea why posters are crapping on Gionta in all honesty. The guy is a 4th liner with speed and excels on the forecheck. What are we really expecting out of him, seriously? Kostopoulos over Gionta, really?

Like someone mentionned earlier, our 4th line is the only line that has any type of chemistry together. I feel 110% safe when their on the ice together... the same can't be said for our 3 other lines cause they keep getting shifted every other period.

That can only mean that Pete didn't find the right combination for our top 9, wich doesn't seem to be the case for our 4th line.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I have no idea why posters are crapping on Gionta in all honesty. The guy is a 4th liner with speed and excels on the forecheck. What are we really expecting out of him, seriously? Kostopoulos over Gionta, really?

Like someone mentionned earlier, our 4th line is the only line that has any type of chemistry together. I feel 110% safe when their on the ice together... the same can't be said for our 3 other lines cause they keep getting shifted every other period.

That can only mean that Pete didn't find the right combination for our top 9, wich doesn't seem to be the case for our 4th line.

Gionta is one of my favourite devils. Gotto love his work ethic and forecheck ability. He is producing and has been playing great overall.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
i wouldnt be upset if gionta was the odd man out if the devils got healthy.

I'd be upset if he *isn't*. Love his contribution to last season's memorable run with the boys, but he should not be an NHL regular on a winning team, IMHO.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Gionta is a perfectly capable fourth line winger. However, he should not be playing center, and he should not be playing against the other teams' better players. Both of those things happen too often.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Gionta is a perfectly capable fourth line winger. However, he should not be playing center, and he should not be playing against the other teams' better players. Both of those things happen too often.

thats not my beef. sick of seeing that he isnt an NHL caliber player.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
thats not my beef. sick of seeing that he isnt an NHL caliber player.

Eh... maybe overstated my impression. I *do* think he's woefully outmatched at center due to the atrocious faceoff numbers and the fact that he is easily knocked off the puck. He plays with great heart and has had, to varying degrees, uncanny chemistry with Bernier and Carter, but I think he is more the beneficiary of playing with those two than the other way around.

I probably overstated his lack of place on a winning team but, conversely, I also think it's overstating his role to be a *great* 4th liner. That said, among our top 12 I *do* still contend that he is most appropriate to nudge out with the arrival of Sullivan and eventual return of Josefson and (*prays*) Kovalchuk.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Again, I have no idea what certain posters are expecting out of Gionta. His job is to forecheck and not be minus player when on the ice.

Last time I checked, he covered both of those things real well. Him scoring/racking up pts is just a added bonus. He's the only forward who has speed to burn on the forecheck and he ALWAYS, ALWAYS finishes his checks on opposing players.

To me, that's the definition of a 4th line player right there.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i remember :laugh: but i was pissed at pete for that one. im starting to get pissed at pete pretty often.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Remember when Stamkos abused Gionta? I do. Although that is more on Pete than Gionta.

Well, you don't send your worst faceoff guy, in the defensive zone, after a whistle... on the road.

That's rule #101 of "how to coach on the road".

apice3*

Josefson is a better NHL player than Gio right now, but JJ isn't as good of a 4th liner. Big difference. That's why Gio is here and JJ is not.

Plus if JJ doesn't develop any further and becomes the next Gionta, he'd be labeled a bust and we don't want to do that.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Judging by the last couple pages of this thread, I guess hate of the week is Gio, last week was Clarkson. Can't wait to see who's on deck for next week.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm glad we didn't get him. The price would have been absurd.

I think Lou went into the deadline looking to hold onto our first, and every GM told him "no sale". And I'm fine with that.

I think that might be exactly right, and I agree with it too. Going two years without a first rounder would not be smart.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Like I said whatever happens this year happens, and I respect Lou for that. Somethings gotta be done in the offseason though. Need some trades of UFA forwards on the market. There will be some UFA's, and maybe even a couple guys who got amnestied that are worth taking a look at for a low price.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Gionta is the epitome of a career minor leaguer. Not terrible, but does everything at a very low level at the NHL level. His speed is average for a player of his size, his skill level isn't up to NHL standards and his defense is just mediocre. He found a very nice niche between Carter and Bernier but is very suspect every time he is away from that line.

His motor and determination runs in the bloodlines apparently and that is his best and probably only attribute.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Who went for a first on deadline day besides Pominville? Jagr even went for a 2 and two prospects.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Going two years without a first rounder would not be smart.

of course, had he sold some players for picks at the deadline, that wouldn’t be a problem. lou digs himself into these holes. then he has to dig up, stupid

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I hope we go after Bernier this summer. We witnessed first hand what happens if Marty goes down with a injury and the guy is turning 41 years old and our backup, who would assume the #1 spot is just as old.

In a 82 game season, we need some type of insurance between the pipes.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Dear god no

Drop our 1st if necessary and get Vanek. We just bench our 1st round picks anyway. do it

I'd package our 1st and Merrill to move up at the draft and land one of the top #4 if we continue to free fall in the standings.

We're currently in a log jam with about 6 teams at 39 pts and only 4 pts away from picking 7th (if the lottery doesn't affect the draft selection standings).

I don't see us going on a run with our current roster, wich means we'll probably slide in the top #10, if not lower.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'd package our 1st and Merrill to move up at the draft and land one of the top #4 if we continue to free fall in the standings.

We're currently in a log jam with about 6 teams at 39 pts and only 4 pts away from picking 7th (if the lottery doesn't affect the draft selection standings).

I don't see us going on a run with our current roster, wich means we'll probably slide in the top #10, if not lower.

Depends on where we actually end up. If we end up around #10-15, no way I'm giving up merril and a 1st to move up (unless it was the #1 pick then maybe I'd consider it).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad