Proposal: Toronto - Nashville

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think it would be absolutely stupid to keep signing guys into their mid to late 30s when we're already not good. They're going to get worse and we're just going to continue to get worse.
Totally agree. I'm fine not accepting subpar offers, I'd much rather trade Ellis, but persisting with the same core into their twilight years is just going to keep us as a mediocre team in the short-term with likely a major rebuild after. But I think a big part of that thought process is we are still a good team that is just being held back by a crappy coach. I'm not impressed with Hynes, but I think we're also just not a good team anymore. We have good parts but the overall mix isn't, and hasn't been, working. I'm definitely ok with turning over the roster a bit and acquiring some younger pieces. I'd rather it be others before Ekholm, but his number is up and he has the most value out of the available pieces.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
We're barely above Detroit, Ottawa and Buffalo and we're one of the oldest teams in the league with a prospect pool in the bottom half of the league. We need a re-tool/rebuild. We're better off keeping Duchene and Ellis because we're not going to get back anything valuable back.

Ekholm is likely the best asset on the market this deadline, he can get a 1st + two prospects back.

If it's a re-tool, then I don't really understand why Nashville drafted Askarov, when they have Saros and Ingram. There were more NHL ready prospects that could help the team soon like Lundell, Jarvis, Guhle and Mercer. If it's a full rebuild, would Josi be available?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If it's a re-tool, then I don't really understand why Nashville drafted Askarov, when they have Saros and Ingram. There were more NHL ready prospects that could help the team soon like Lundell, Jarvis, Guhle and Mercer. If it's a full rebuild, would Josi be available?

Wed drafted Askarov because has elite potential and goalies are a crapshoot. He's also only 18 compared to Saros is 25 and Ingram who's 23. By the time Askarov is ready to start we'll know more of what Saros and Ingram can do.

Josi isn't available, if he were he'd cost a lot.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
No, Josi is going to retire a Pred unless he asks to be traded at some point.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well if Ekolm gets traded then Nashville is essentially admitting to a retool or that they wouldn't have been able to resign Ekholm. He seems to me the type of guy you sign to a 4 or 5 year contract at roughly 5 million/season after this contract is up but right now he should be worth a good futures haul just not one likely to blow you away. Remember, Erik Karlsson got traded for esentially a 1st rounder and a few decent players that weren't top tier prospects or players but are easily NHL calibre. OTT got lucky in that case that the pick turned out to be the 3rd or 5th overall in that draft but I feel like the return will be closer to that then multiple 1sts or a 1st + multiple high ranking prospects.
Not really. I think if Poile trades Ekholm it is because he plans on going 7-3-1 in the expansion draft and rather than losing either him or Fabbro for nothing he will trade one of them. Fabbro is younger, Josi has a NMC, and I think he probably has a hand shake deal with Ellis about the expansion draft.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I like the OP but there is one thing that no one brings up:

Zero salary retention on the Muzzin deal but if he goes to Toronto, there will be but in this deal no retention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam da bomb

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I thought so to but I'm not sure

Amirov(15th) + leafs 2nd pick is pretty close to what muzzin got. More quality less quantity. Amirov is better then a 2 b prospects IMHO, he probably rose his draft stock with his play in the khl.

Liljegren+Robertson is very good for granlund and Saros. Robertson is also an A prospect like Amriov both very close to blue chip. Lilejgrens values varies a lot but imo i value him higher then Sandin and think he could be the real leafs best prospect.

Amdersen has negative value and kerfoot is still a player and value from zero to a 3rd round pick.

I think Nashville could get more quantity elsewhere but not as much quality. Leafs give up 3/4 best prospects, which is a good haul imo.
Players on expiring contracts don't have negative value, they are throw ins.

The Leafs are probably not going to gut their future that deeply. One top prospect is the plan, not two and picks on top. This isn't the 90s.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Ekholm and Granlund would be great complimentary additions to the leads core, but saros doesn’t seem like an upgrade to me or the type of goalie you’re winning a cup with, especially in the Toronto pressure cooker

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The whole cap thing and 2 week quarantine ,just makes it too crazy for huge deals

I'll make my pitch simple

Ekholm 50% for Amirov ,2021 1rst ,Eemeli Rasanen

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Toronto Maple Leafs
Juuse Saros
Mattias Ekholm
Mikael Granlund (50% retained)

Nashville Predators

Alex Kerfoot
Frederik Andersen
Nik Robertson
Timothy Liljegren
Leafs' 1st & 2nd round picks of 2021.
If I’m Nashville, I ask for those picks to be in 2022 instead and pull Kerfoot out of the deal. To be replaced by a pending UFA or two.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
i mean... its a lot of value coming back but a lot of good players coming our way.

i would prefer the retention to be on Ekholm instead tbh.

i always like to break these bigger trades down so:

1st = Saros

Kerfoot + 2nd = Granlund

Robertson + Liljegren + Andersen = Ekholm

seems steep on the Ekholm part. maybe remove Liljegren or the 1st.

I would almost prefer Forsberg due to the expasion draft looming
Of coarse you want retention on Ekholm because he has another year on his deal. In my opinion that cost more. Kerfoot and Andersen are both cap moves so they don't carry value in this situation and if you want to argue they do, then trade them individually and use some of those assets instead.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
It is not that he is hated. It is just a guy outside of the core that many Leaf fans woyld be willing to give up to accomedate a salary comming back. He is usualy packaged with a first and top prospect. While some Leaf fans don't like him, most do.
Actually he is usually packaged with a prospect. I haven't seen Leaf fans propose any deals where he's packaged with a top prospect.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Of coarse you want retention on Ekholm because he has another year on his deal. In my opinion that cost more. Kerfoot and Andersen are both cap moves so they don't carry value in this situation and if you want to argue they do, then trade them individually and use some of those assets instead.

yeah of course it would. and i just had those 2 in there to match the cap.

Actually he is usually packaged with a prospect. I haven't seen Leaf fans propose any deals where he's packaged with a top prospect.

Ekholm? i mean depending on your definition of "top" prospect, i dont know if he gets one. best i would offer is Liljegren.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I have. In fact, this very thread has him packaged with a first and two top prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad