Proposal: Toronto - Nashville

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Kerfoot is a bad contract to us, since we don't want him, ditto Anderson since we don't want to pay the money left on his contract. If we want him later, we'd just try to sign him in the off-season. Just take them out of this deal, is all. If they do have value like you say, somebody else will surely take them, and even give you something for them, right? Just not us.
not wanting someone doesnt mean their contract is bad... it means you dont want him

Andersen is only getting paid $1 million this year despite his $5 million cap hit. its barely any cash and he expires. he is the least important piece here and is only here to make it go through cap wise.

i dont think Andersen has any market but Kerfoot has value. he isnt a big piece but is a positive asset here

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Agreed, but Ekholm is also significantly more valuable than Muzzin was at the time, since we can easily re-sign Ekholm for our team below market value. We have no pressure or desire to trade Ekholm. You're coming after him under different circumstances, so the price needs to significantly higher. Just because you stole Muzzin doesn't mean you get to do it again that easily.

Ok man good luck getting guys to sign well below market value with a team that won 3 more games than Detroit.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Agreed, but Ekholm is also significantly more valuable than Muzzin was at the time, since we can easily re-sign Ekholm for our team below market value. We have no pressure or desire to trade Ekholm. You're coming after him under different circumstances, so the price needs to be significantly higher. Just because you stole Muzzin doesn't mean you get to do it again that easily.
he isnt significantly more valuable at all. whats your reasoning? you might be able to re-sign him for more? what if he just walks given he is a UFA next year?

Muzzin wasnt a steal either way, it was a pretty standard buyer-seller trade which was a win win. i wouldnt expect anything different here.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
he isnt significantly more valuable at all. whats your reasoning? you might be able to re-sign him for more? what if he just walks given he is a UFA next year?

Muzzin wasnt a steal either way, it was a pretty standard buyer-seller trade which was a win win. i wouldnt expect anything different here.
Ekholm already said he wants to re-sign here. You can expect whatever you like, but I expect you'll be disappointed. Muzzin was a total steal, and Ekholm isn't going that cheaply.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Ekholm already said he wants to re-sign here. You can expect whatever you like, but I expect you'll be disappointed. Muzzin was a total steal, and Ekholm isn't going that cheaply.
i never thought i'd be arguing against a trade we made in our favor, but it really wasnt a steal. it was a pretty fair deal.

if you want to keep him fine but dont overvalue him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
not wanting someone doesnt mean their contract is bad... it means you dont want him

Andersen is only getting paid $1 million this year despite his $5 million cap hit. its barely any cash and he expires. he is the least important piece here and is only here to make it go through cap wise.

i dont think Andersen has any market but Kerfoot has value. he isnt a big piece but is a positive asset here
So that's perfect, if Kerfoot is a positive asset to you, you keep him. Or do something else with him. That's great. Values are all relative. We don't need or want him, so he's negative value to us is all. You can take him out of the deal and you just improved the value of your deal, you should be happy with that, no? :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
i never thought i'd be arguing against a trade we made in our favor, but it really wasnt a steal. it was a pretty fair deal.

if you want to keep him fine but dont overvalue him.
If you want to trade for him, fine, but don't undervalue him? :huh: Just trying to help you fix your offer here.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014

The 1st that went to Muzzin turned out to be Bjornfot. He's pretty good in LA and is on ELC, which is great for a team that needs cap space. I wouldn't call it a total steal...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The 1st that went to Muzzin turned out to be Bjornfot. He's pretty good in LA and is on ELC, which is great for a team that needs cap space. I wouldn't call it a total steal...
Yeah, that part of it worked out. They won the coin flip on the pick, looks like. Got a grinder and a player who won't play in the league too. I wouldn't trade 6 more years of Ekholm for that, even if I knew the pick would pan out that well. That deal worked out great for the Leafs. Congrats. :handclap:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I wanted to hate this offer but don't as a Preds fan. The assets we're picking up are enough to balance having to take Andersen and Kerfoot. Anything less and I think it falls apart for us and would be more beneficial to just trade the players separately.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Nick Robertson should be the last prospect the leafs should trade. Hes got a motor like Hyman and a better shot then Nylander. We would look back in 5 years and be disgusted.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If Ekholm is traded you're going to be severely disappointed
Preds fans have no consensus on what the team should do at this point. There are some that don't want to trade Ekholm (and want to extend him) so for them the asking price is astronomical. I don't know that the ask is intended to be remotely realistic. It's also probable some posters are going to be severely disappointed no matter the return.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Muzzin got the exact same thing, a 1st and 2 prospects. The expansion draft and cap are no issue for us, tough luck for you if they are for you. You're low.
I’m going to guess that you’d never heard of Sean Durzi and Carl Grundstrom before they were traded in the Muzzin deal. Perhaps you had, but you should be aware of their pedigrees and understand that they were nowhere near Liljegren or Robertson in value.

The equivalent today would be Joey Anderson and Roni Hirvonen. Young player on the cusp of making it with some upside and a recent late 2nd rounder. Not a 1st round pick and a guy who scored 55 goals in 46 OHL games as an 18 year old.

Sheesh. For 80% of the people reading this, if you’ve heard of the Leafs prospects, theyre not the same level as the Muzzin trade.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I’m going to guess that you’d never heard of Sean Durzi and Carl Grundstrom before they were traded in the Muzzin deal. Perhaps you had, but you should be aware of their pedigrees and understand that they were nowhere near Liljegren or Robertson in value.

The equivalent today would be Joey Anderson and Roni Hirvonen. Young player on the cusp of making it with some upside and a recent late 2nd rounder. Not a 1st round pick and a guy who scored 55 goals in 46 OHL games as an 18 year old.

Sheesh. For 80% of the people reading this, if you’ve heard of the Leafs prospects, theyre not the same level as the Muzzin trade.

Muzzin was on the 2nd pairing in LA at the time. GOOD ... yes, but at the time of the Muzzin compared to todays Ekholm ... Ekholm brings more.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

You could trade Andersen and a 4th to Chicago for a 5th.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Preds fans have no consensus on what the team should do at this point. There are some that don't want to trade Ekholm (and want to extend him) so for them the asking price is astronomical. I don't know that the ask is intended to be remotely realistic. It's also probable some posters are going to be severely disappointed no matter the return.

Yeah, I'm a kinda confused why Ekholm is being shopped. Is it due to cap reasons? Or is Nashville going for a re-tool? I don't know... I feel like if it's a re-tool trading one the bigger contracts makes more sense like Duchene or Ryan Ellis?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, I'm a kinda confused why Ekholm is being shopped. Is it due to cap reasons? Or is Nashville going for a re-tool? I don't know... I feel like if it's a re-tool trading one the bigger contracts makes more sense like Duchene or Ryan Ellis?
Poile stated that there are three untouchables- Ellis, Josi & Rinne. Apparently everyone else is on the table (obviously some more than others.) As far as Duchene and johansen I think they’re stuck. No one is taking on those deals.

Reactions: Scrapy1980

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

We're barely above Detroit, Ottawa and Buffalo and we're one of the oldest teams in the league with a prospect pool in the bottom half of the league. We need a re-tool/rebuild. We're better off keeping Duchene and Ellis because we're not going to get back anything valuable back.

Ekholm is likely the best asset on the market this deadline, he can get a 1st + two prospects back.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Soundgarden answered it adequately, but I'll just add that Ekholm will turn 30 at the end of his contract and we already have Josi and Ellis locked up into their mid-late 30s. For a team that is trending severely downward, I'm not sure we want to double-down and retain all the vets.

Most Preds fans would rather we tried to trade Ellis, as Ekholm is our best two-way defenseman and also plays the type of game I think most of us would rather see versus Josi and Ellis' excessive offensive focus, but Ekholm probably has the most value of the moveable pieces and Ellis has been deemed "untouchable" for some reason. I think it's worth seeing what offers are out there and pulling the trigger on a great deal. I don't think it is imperative the team trades him, as he's likely to be willing to sign an acceptable extension at the end of his current contract.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4