Post-Game Talk: Toronto Maple Tanks @ The Calgary Flames - 7PM SNW ON TUESDAY 100TG

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Welp, I said I'd be surprised if it was just Hartley benching him on a hunch and... yeah, I'm surprised.

Hard to see Nakladal getting into any games now, to be honest. If you're uncomfortable getting the guy a shift in a 4-1 game, I can't see you being comfortable dressing him as the sixth defenceman.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Welp, I said I'd be surprised if it was just Hartley benching him on a hunch and... yeah, I'm surprised.

That's really weird. I don't like it either. If he said, 'hey, I don't know the player, we were playing with a depleted squad, this was a must win'... If be much happier.

I don't want my coach making guy decisions randomly.

Flames will need to probably make some coaching upgrades sooner rather than later. I haven't been on Harts this year at all... But the good guys help develop youth and pickups. Coach Q in Chicago has integrated youth, Europeans and college FAs seamlessly... We haven't at all. If the kids aren't top prospects they don't get much luck up here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's because they didn't get stapled to the bench when they made a mistake.
Smid has spent plenty of time in the press box but has a resume of more than 2 shifts to know those plays aren't commonplace

Ah yes, Hamilton and his seamless transition to the Flames system.
you do realize Hamilton played games elsewhere before here right? that despite his mistakes that he was still capable of not just playing in the NHL but producing as well.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Hard to see Nakladal getting into any games now, to be honest. If you're uncomfortable getting the guy a shift in a 4-1 game, I can't see you being comfortable dressing him as the sixth defenceman.
I'm not sure where you are surprised. Sure the 2 shift thing is more excessive than normal but we've seen Hartley bench forwards in the past and he never played Kulak much but never with the luxury of 7 defensemen.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Hartley on Nakladal in his post game press conference:
"Gut feeling"
"Nothing on Nakladal on what he did right or wrong"
"Coaches decision"

Surprise, surprise.

Hartley really gonna Hartley.

What a joke.

Eh, there's still the opportunity for him to develop into an NHL player, vs. strictly a European defender. Doesn't seem like he's going to get the chance from Hartley though.

Truly a joke. Coaches decision lmao.

Typical Bob and his favourites.

Overlooks hilarious mistakes from some players, but benches a 28 year old after two shifts. In his first game. For nothing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Of course Hartley is going to say it was a coaches decision. You guys are honestly *****ing about him saying that? Would have you preferred the truth? That he made a sloppy play, resulted in an odd-man rush against and did not feel comfortable playing him in a must win game. Of course you would ***** about that too.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Ah yes, Hamilton and his seamless transition to the Flames system.

Had we drafted Hamilton instead of Baertschi, Dougie Hamilton would probably still be in the AHL on the third year of his ELC and we'd be talking about flipping him for a 2nd round pick because he can't even get into a game :laugh:

The same Dougie Hamilton who has a resume of more than two shifts.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
Not playing nakladal tonight is one baffling choice in a long running series of baffling choices, like playing Russell 25 minutes a night, like giving wideman first pp time despite his 2 total powerplay goals all season, like his handling of baerstchi and wotherspoon and shore, like colborne on the top line or as the extra attacker, and so on. It's no secret he's got his favourites and that he's stubborn

Since Hartley took over in 2012, the Flames have the 5th worst shot differential, 8th most shots against, 5th worst scoring chance differential, and 4th worst corsi In the league. The team has shown little or no adaptation in its strategies or systems, despite the roster turnover. I think it's been time for a change for a while now.

Edit: prior to tonight, the leafs were behind the flames by only 2 points. They have maybe 1/4-1/3 of the talent we do. These are the same leafs who outplayed us tonight. That is the difference coaching makes

Last edited:

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Not playing nakladal tonight is one baffling choice in a long running series of baffling choices, like playing Russell 25 minutes a night, like giving wideman first pp time despite his 2 total powerplay goals all season, like his handling of baerstchi and wotherspoon and shore, like colborne on the top line or as the extra attacker, and so on. It's no secret he's got his favourites and that he's stubborn

Since Hartley took over in 2012, the Flames have the 5th worst shot differential, 8th most shots against, 5th worst scoring chance differential, and 4th worst corsi In the league. The team has shown little or no adaptation in its strategies or systems, despite the roster turnover. I think it's been time for a change for a while now

Concerning how he handles younger players that aren't stars. Let's m not even mentioning not playing Bennett at centre, especially today.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Concerning how he handles younger players that aren't stars. Let's m not even mentioning not playing Bennett at centre, especially today.
Yep. The way he has handled stars like Josh Jooris, Micheal Ferland and Lance Bouma has been ****ing terrible. If a player earns their spot they will play, it's not a hard concept to understand. The only people complaining are the ones that cannot grasp that his job is to win games not take them to the bathroom and wipe their ass for them.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yep. The way he has handled stars like Josh Jooris, Micheal Ferland and Lance Bouma has been ****ing terrible. If a player earns their spot they will play, it's not a hard concept to understand. The only people complaining are the ones that cannot grasp that his job is to win games not take them to the bathroom and wipe their ass for them.

Congrats, he's handled some depth wingers whose only role is to chip pucks out past the red line and change not abysmally, along with a guy he scratches every time he plays a good game so that Brandon Bollig can come punch some face :laugh:

perronist

Dec 8, 2008

Jooris has mostly been a healthy scratch this season despite outplaying several vets. Bouma was breaking into the league already when Hartley arrived, and I'm not sure his game has changed all that much under Bob.

Ferland has only played like 75 games, and might be a lone bright spot on Hartley's record depending on how he develops

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That's really weird. I don't like it either. If he said, 'hey, I don't know the player, we were playing with a depleted squad, this was a must win'... If be much happier.

I don't want my coach making guy decisions randomly.

Flames will need to probably make some coaching upgrades sooner rather than later. I haven't been on Harts this year at all... But the good guys help develop youth and pickups. Coach Q in Chicago has integrated youth, Europeans and college FAs seamlessly... We haven't at all. If the kids aren't top prospects they don't get much luck up here.
Or their name is Colborne. Then they get all the other players rope.

But yeah, absolutely asinine how other prospects have to be perfect or they don't play. Barring future cinderella runs, I don't see this rebuild going smoothly unless Hartley changes his ways. Or the Flame get new coach.

Nakladal is supposedly the very best of all the defencemen on the Heat. If he can't even get more than two shifts, what does that say about the rest of them? No wonder they want to re-sign Russell so badly. It's year three of the rebuild and the Flames seemingly don't have a single defenceman they call up from the farm to play a regular shift should the need arise. There's something very wrong there; either the talent level of the Flames' minor system is a lot worse than people think, or the organization continues to fail to comprehend the basic fundamentals of development.

Players won't magically step into the NHL and play flawlessly, especially if their confidence is ruined like this. There are going to be growing pains and Hartley needs to get over himself and accept that or the Flames better start looking for a coach that doesn't still think it's the early 1990's and cheap ELC's don't matter. At some point, hopefully, the Flames won't have the cap room to waste on any more substandard veterans and then they'll be forced to throw prospects into the fire. They'd be better off actually working with the players to make the transition easier. But it wouldn't be the Flames if they didn't do things the hard way.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jooris has mostly been a healthy scratch this season despite outplaying several vets. Bouma was breaking into the league already when Hartley arrived, and I'm not sure his game has changed all that much under Bob.

Ferland has only played like 75 games, and might be a lone bright spot on Hartley's record depending on how he develops
Jooris has played pretty poorly this year but was one of Hartley's "favorites" last year.

Bouma only played 43 games before Hartley took over behind the bench and had missed practically a full season when he started playing for Bob.

Colbrone is another young player that has gotten ice-time under Hartley.

Fact of the matter is your comment about him not playing young players is complete ******** but you choose to make things up because Hartley doesn't play certain players you feel deserve more ice-time. Did you think for a moment that maybe, just maybe he sees these guys more than you and has a better idea what he will get from them than you do? Didn't think you did.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I can not believe the *****ing on here about Nakladal. Who really cares if the guy couldn't make the team out of camp as a 28 year old he really has no future here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can not believe the *****ing on here about Nakladal. Who really cares if the guy couldn't make the team out of camp as a 28 year old he really has no future here.
technically he was only 27 when he didn't make the team :naughty:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I dunno, I mean Raymond was waived "again" and yet Granlund is still up and not producing all that consistently, and let's face it, he's not here to win FO's. I wanna see the young kids to, but the facts are the Flames know a lot more than we do. I tend to think Grant is the most ready to be called up and he has been up this season already. Unfortunately he's going to be out for a while now. But if Granlund isn't doing much, what else do we really have waiting in the wings? I don't think Nakladal was ever projected to be more than a 6 either.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I guess at the end of the day, it reflects that the Flames don't see Nakladal as a piece going forward, but rather just as organizational depth.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
Jooris has played pretty poorly this year but was one of Hartley's "favorites" last year.

Bouma only played 43 games before Hartley took over behind the bench and had missed practically a full season when he started playing for Bob.

Colbrone is another young player that has gotten ice-time under Hartley.

Fact of the matter is your comment about him not playing young players is complete ******** but you choose to make things up because Hartley doesn't play certain players you feel deserve more ice-time. Did you think for a moment that maybe, just maybe he sees these guys more than you and has a better idea what he will get from them than you do? Didn't think you did.

What a bizarre response. Where are these attacks coming from? Where did I comment about Hartley not playing young players? What did I make up? I said bouma's game hasn't changed and that jooris has been scratched a lot. Yeah, colborne has gotten a lot of leash and that sucks bc he's awful.

I'm not the first to point out that Hartley's usage decisions have been confusing and senseless.

Did you think that "maybe, just maybe" not every NHL coach is perfect just because they see a lot of players? Thats why Johnston, nolan, Carlyle are still in the league right? They spent all kinds of time around players.

Hartley almost certainly has a better sense of what he can get out of this players than me but he's also coaching the 25th place team and many of his decisions are puzzling given what we can tell about the team, which is the basis for any fan discussion we can have.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If this game taught me anything about Bob, it's that he has high standards. Exactly what I want for teaching young players how to succeed in a professional league. The team hasn't been good enough this year, I'm glad the room is tense and Hartley's kicking ass. Exactly what he should be doing with this record and 30 games to go. He obviously made some tough decisions today, but that's what good coaches do.

Team won the game didn't they?

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I don't mind Hartley benching him, but when the score was 4-1 there's literally no excuse to not give him at least one more shift.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What a bizarre response. Where are these attacks coming from? Where did I comment about Hartley not playing young players? What did I make up? I said bouma's game hasn't changed and that jooris has been scratched a lot. Yeah, colborne has gotten a lot of leash and that sucks bc he's awful.

I'm not the first to point out that Hartley's usage decisions have been confusing and senseless.

Did you think that "maybe, just maybe" not every NHL coach is perfect just because they see a lot of players? Thats why Johnston, nolan, Carlyle are still in the league right? They spent all kinds of time around players.

Hartley almost certainly has a better sense of what he can get out of this players than me but he's also coaching the 25th place team and many of his decisions are puzzling given what we can tell about the team, which is the basis for any fan discussion we can have.
The only people agreeing with you are the ones always complaining, the ones cheering for losses and the ones who always think the grass is always greener.

I am not saying Hartley is infallible but c'mon the level of complaining because Nakladal only played 2 shifts? I like Nak, I wish he had played more but he ****ed up and when you haven't done anything to warrant another shot you won't get it. Also, who didn't see this coming? When 7 defensemen were dressing you had to have known Nak would be lucky to get 5 minutes unless he played really well.

As for your comment about Hartley and young players, it was in the post prior where you complained about his handling of Baertschi of all people, whom we all know now was an entitled brat who didn't want to pay his dues.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't mind Hartley benching him, but when the score was 4-1 there's literally no excuse to not give him at least one more shift.
or there was literally no excuse to give him a shift

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
We aren't making the playoffs, who gives a **** if we lose, just play Nakladal and see what happens.

The Flames are delusional if they think they can make the playoffs still. (I didn't say tank, but playing rookies and depth players to see if they can replace a vet is more preferable at this stage in the season).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad