Rumor: Toronto interested in Thornton

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The defensive game can be learned, as can strength and board battling abilities. Kadri's pure talent and sick hands can't be learned. Plus, he's a buy low option.

Also, Kadri draws over twice as many penalties as he takes. Pretty sure I was reading somewhere about how he needs to stop taking dumb penalties.

His advanced stats last year look great also. Was clear he was riding some shooting luck, as was the whole team, but I think he was actually a better player last year. He had the best Corsi of any forward who played over 40 games.

Gardiner has led the Leafs in CF for the past 2 years.

Kadri and Gardiner are two players who would absolutely flourish on a less god awful team, with a better coach. McLellan can instill a solid work ethic into Kadri. I would be really happy if we got either of these 2 players, and ecstatic if we got both. They're both great buy low options.

Last edited:

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I really doubt we'd get Kadri + Gardiner for Thornton...if we did though, I would be really happy!

Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Hertl-Kadri-Vrbata (FA signing...veteran scorer)
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Sheppard-Hamilton-Moss (FA PKer)
Desjardins/Hayes

Vlasic-Burns
Gardiner-Braun
Wiercioch (Acquired for picks/prospects/Kennedy)-Demers
Irwin

Niemi
Stalock

What do you guys think? :)

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If we could get Kadri and Gardiner for Thornton, I would try to get James Reimer, adding a draft pick or something to the trade for those two if we need to. I'd also look at a separate Pavelski trade, so that we can get Hertl at his natural position. I would try to go outside the box and do Niemi+Kennedy+Pavelski for Kane+Clitsome+rights to Seto, sign Seto trade Stuart to Phoenix.

Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Kane-Hertl-Sheppard
Torres-Kadri-Setoguchi
Brown/Burish/Hayes/UFA signing-Desjardins-Wingels

Vlasic-Burns
Gardiner-Braun
Clitsome-Demers
Irwin

Reimer
Stalock

A LOT of turnover, but this gives us a very young and fast team. The only "old" player we would have would be Marleau. I could easily see this team being similar to Chicago in 2008-2009.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
If we could get Kadri and Gardiner for Thornton, I would try to get James Reimer, adding a draft pick or something to the trade for those two if we need to. I'd also look at a separate Pavelski trade, so that we can get Hertl at his natural position. I would try to go outside the box and do Niemi+Kennedy+Pavelski for Kane+Clitsome+rights to Seto, sign Seto trade Stuart to Phoenix.

Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Kane-Hertl-Sheppard
Torres-Kadri-Setoguchi
Brown/Burish/Hayes/UFA signing-Desjardins-Wingels

Vlasic-Burns
Gardiner-Braun
Clitsome-Demers
Irwin

Reimer
Stalock

A LOT of turnover, but this gives us a very young and fast team. The only "old" player we would have would be Marleau. I could easily see this team being similar to Chicago in 2008-2009.

That's an interesting idea, but there is one problem in my opinion. Hertl is a big unknown at center and Kadri is not that great defensively, so which of the two lines is able to face 2nd quality competition? The other line will feast on other teams' third lines, probably, but I think the other line will be buried. Not a huge fan of that lineup up front, but interesting ideas :)

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think we would need to put Hertl against 2nd comp. It would be a bit of a tough learning curve but it has to be understood that if we trade the Joes and get significantly younger, our forwards won't be as dominant as they were the past 2 years.

On second thought, I think the lines could be a bit better like this.

Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Kane-Hertl-Wingels
Sheppard-Kadri-Setoguchi
Torres-Desjardins-Burish/Hayes/UFA

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
We're really taking Toronto Sun seriously now?

Come on, Thornton would shoot himself in the foot before accepting that trade.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Eh, I don't know. Toronto was probably his hometown team. Plus Wilson made it sound like he has some sneaky clause in Thornton's NMC

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Detroit was Big Joe's team growing up, IIRC.

I don't think there's much to this unless the Sharks are into the Phaneuf idea or like some of the Leafs vets. No doubt JT is still top-notch but Kadri Gardiner Rielly etc are not being traded for 35 year olds. If they go it will be for other young guys.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Look, I hate to rain on this rumor, but if I was the GM of the Leafs, I would explore the possibility that the Sharks front office may be mirroring what the press had been saying. I'd love to see if the Sharks were foolish enough to trade Thornton or Marleau for Pheanuf all in the name of showing that they are willing to change their culture/ hold players accountable/ or some other idiocy. Explore if the Sharks feel they have something to prove.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Look, I hate to rain on this rumor, but if I was the GM of the Leafs, I would explore the possibility that the Sharks front office may be mirroring what the press had been saying. I'd love to see if the Sharks were foolish enough to trade Thornton or Marleau for Pheanuf all in the name of showing that they are willing to change their culture/ hold players accountable/ or some other idiocy. Explore if the Sharks feel they have something to prove.

If the rebuilding words are truthful from DW, Phaneuf would not be a target.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Eh, I don't know. Toronto was probably his hometown team. Plus Wilson made it sound like he has some sneaky clause in Thornton's NMC
So you think the guy who hates being around the media is gonna accept a trade to... Toronto? While probably being the captain too?

SoftDumpInTheCorner

Jun 29, 2010
Man Jose

Im pretty sure the media is mirroring what the Sharks front office has been saying. When was the last time you saw Doug Wilson available to media following a playoff collapse? When was the last time you really saw the media put out 2 way articles in reference to the Sharks organization. In the past there have been journalists who had their Sharks media credentials ripped from them by the org for writing two way pieces on the Sharks about their failures. Wilson has put the bug in the media's ear by saying that he's willing to make changes without saying directly who he wants out or in. He's leaving it up to the media to say that the Sharks don't want Thornton or Marleau around anymore. Well played by Doug, Im sure Hasso and Doug thought how they were going to play this out.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Im pretty sure the media is mirroring what the Sharks front office has been saying. When was the last time you saw Doug Wilson available to media following a playoff collapse? When was the last time you really saw the media put out 2 way articles in reference to the Sharks organization. In the past there have been journalists who had their Sharks media credentials ripped from them by the org for writing two way pieces on the Sharks about their failures. Wilson has put the bug in the media's ear by saying that he's willing to make changes without saying directly who he wants out or in. He's leaving it up to the media to say that the Sharks don't want Thornton or Marleau around anymore. Well played by Doug, Im sure Hasso and Doug thought how they were going to play this out.

1. DW talks to the media after every season. People with "media" creditials have been criticizing both Marleau and Thornton for years.

2. If the rumors are true, Torronto is likely seeing if San Jose would trade Phaneauf for Marleau or Thronton. I know I would if I were them.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I think I missed the quote, when did DW say rebuild? Always heard him say retool or reset on the fly.

The statement about retaining younger players and picks borders on rebuild. Also, the statement about getting younger and getting more aggressive as well as leadership change.

He didn't say rebuild but he hit on a lot of benchmarks for rebuild. He has been cagey as always.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
The statement about retaining younger players and picks borders on rebuild. Also, the statement about getting younger and getting more aggressive as well as leadership change.

He didn't say rebuild but he hit on a lot of benchmarks for rebuild. He has been cagey as always.

He used the word rebuild in the most recent interview on CSN Bay area.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
KKurzCSN 11:45am via Twitter for iPhone
Joe's agent @Thorts19 on trade rumors regarding his client/brother: "Ha!" (Yes, I'm serious) #SJSharks

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Thornton's brother is a clown, but I love seeing him squirm.

Frankly, its unprofessional. His comments come of as someone who is JT's agent because he is JT's brother, not because he is qualified.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad