Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Not so much the hiring, but the fact that TFC was denying it when the rumours were out a week or two ago as 'premature and inaccurate':

Toronto FC denies Bradley report - TSN.ca

I guess that means Gio is coming back next season as well!

TFC rumours always seem to be the worst kept secrets.

Gio would be sweet as long as it’s a non-DP deal.

Anyone else see anything about Insigne? I’ve seen it in a couple different places now.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Anyone else see anything about Insigne? I’ve seen it in a couple different places now.
Been rumored for a while but I doubt that one happens. When Seba came over to MLS, Italy refused to call him back up to the national team. Insigne is such an integral part of Italy's set up and I don't think he will risk the Italian FA turning their back on him.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
oh wow. that's pretty surprising. Is there much of a demand for osorio in europe? What type of a league does he expect to go to?

He's 29 and while he's an above average MLS player, he doesn't set the league on fire or anything. I would think a bigger threat to turn heads in Europe is a guy like Richie Laryea.
Johnston,Buchanan and Adekugbe could do very well in Europe,
Laryea is playing at his level in the MLS imo.
Fitba Crazy loyal.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Johnston,Buchanan and Adekugbe could do very well in Europe,
Laryea is playing at his level in the MLS imo.
Fitba Crazy loyal.
Adekugbe is already there. Buchanon should do really well for Brugge next year, it's a great stepping stone move for him.

I think Laryea has some more growth in him. He has burst onto the scene the past 2 seasons and at 26 I think there is a move abroad in him. If he goes to Besiktas like was once rumored I doubt he looks out of place.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Adekugbe is already there. Buchanon should do really well for Brugge next year, it's a great stepping stone move for him.

I think Laryea has some more growth in him. He has burst onto the scene the past 2 seasons and at 26 I think there is a move abroad in him. If he goes to Besiktas like was once rumored I doubt he looks out of place.
What I’ve saw of him so far,I do not rate,and tends to be a real liability.Noticed you had no mention of probably Canadas most
consistent player in the qualifying round so far,Alister Johnston.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What I’ve saw of him so far,I do not rate,and tends to be a real liability.Noticed you had no mention of probably Canadas most
consistent player in the qualifying round so far,Alister Johnston.
Liability in what way? I can see his temper being an issue in terms of giving up fouls and cards. Defensively he is not the greatest, however, he does push high up the pitch, trackback, and recover a lot of loose balls. A team would be signing for Laryea for what he can bring on the offensive side of the game though, he would likely be joining a team that has a lot of possession numbers and not one where he needs to defend more like a traditional RB.

I didn't mention Allistair cause it's a forgone conclusion to me that he ends up in Europe. Not this summer but likely after one more standout season in MLS.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
So CSA has confirmed that the Jan 3oth game againt USA is going to be in Hamilton. Personally i think this is a bad choice. Vancouver should have been the obvious choice, but then if you're going to have it in ontario, BMO would have made much more sense. It's a better soccer stadium, accesible to more fans, the players are familiar with it, better pitch.

Having such an important game in hamilton seems risky.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
So CSA has confirmed that the Jan 3oth game againt USA is going to be in Hamilton. Personally i think this is a bad choice. Vancouver should have been the obvious choice, but then if you're going to have it in ontario, BMO would have made much more sense. It's a better soccer stadium, accesible to more fans, the players are familiar with it, better pitch.

Having such an important game in hamilton seems risky.

Grass won't be settled at BMO. Vancouver was never an option.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Honestly, we may just be straight up better than the US. I also I wouldnt be surprised to see a huge USMNT support in either Hamilton or Toronto.

Our home field advantage will be very minimal IMO. I'd prefer BMO because more of our players are familiar with it but its not like the US has not played on it either. Vancouver would have been a disaster with the Seattle issue.

If we have a healthy squad we are right up there with the US in terms of quality.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Grass won't be settled at BMO. Vancouver was never an option.
i have read conflicting things about the pitch. obviously if the grass won't cooperate, then it wouldn't work, but i have read that the BMO pitch would have been fine.

Also why wasn't vancouver an option? It makes sense on a lot of levels.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
i have read conflicting things about the pitch. obviously if the grass won't cooperate, then it wouldn't work, but i have read that the BMO pitch would have been fine.

It would be home field advantage for the US, Seattle residents will head over. Also travel from Vancouver to Central America is much harder than YYZ to Central America.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
It would be home field advantage for the US, Seattle residents will head over. Also travel from Vancouver to Central America is much harder than YYZ to Central America.
I don't buy the home field thing that much, but maybe. Yeah i think the travel might be more relevant.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

If TFC made Champs League I think they would have tried to make it work, but with the Argos playing Dec 5 you optimally want at least 2.5 months to get the grass back up to speed.

As noted above the travel to Vancouver was a non-starter for the players/Herdman.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Vancouver seems the most logical on so many levels, not worried about fans coming in form U.S. There must be a reason though

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Vancouver wasn't selected mainly due to travel for the players. Going to Ontario helps with KM traveled as well as eliminates some of the time change elements. Plus it sounds like the players wanted to be outside for the games.

It was the right choice to keep things in Ontario.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Ehh it's also 6-7K less fans, which is important in a huge home matchup. I guess they didn't really have too many options?
Trust me, this will be the loudest outdoor event in this country's football history, regardless of the 6-7 k less seats. It's definitely our most important game in history, against the americans no less. The place will be packed. Sam's army travel's well. The Voyageurs will be leading the charge to drown them out. It's going to be wild. I can't wait.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Isn't the venue selected via a bidding process? Offered tickets last night after being told 'Hamilton won the right....'.
Turned them down, AFC and NFC Championship games that same day, seems like poor planning.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Liability in what way? I can see his temper being an issue in terms of giving up fouls and cards. Defensively he is not the greatest, however, he does push high up the pitch, trackback, and recover a lot of loose balls. A team would be signing for Laryea for what he can bring on the offensive side of the game though, he would likely be joining a team that has a lot of possession numbers and not one where he needs to defend more like a traditional RB.

I didn't mention Allistair cause it's a forgone conclusion to me that he ends up in Europe. Not this summer but likely after one more standout season in MLS.
I’d definitely have him in Glasgow with the Famous.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
As a Vancouver resident, I was praying for a packed barn at BC Place, which it would have been, but I think the call to go to Hamilton was the right call.

Travel is #1 priority. We have players coming in from Europe, and we have to head to Central America thereafter. Just makes more sense.

Add in the fact that BC place is chilly at the worst of times, at least we can give the yanks a true north experience in Hamilton. Anyone who doesn't think playing in the cold is an advantage has probably not played soccer before. It's f***ing terrible lol. But we do it since we are young. Far from the beach side pitches of SoCal.

This is our biggest test left, may as well try and stack the deck. They can do the world tour once they secure a spot in Qatar

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Ontario is the center of the universe remember lol

I live here, I can confirm this to be a fact

Man, team Canada's fate right now is essentially in their hands. They win 3 games, which they should be able to, they are in
Let US, Mexico and Panama fight each other out of WCQ

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I live here, I can confirm this to be a fact

Man, team Canada's fate right now is essentially in their hands. They win 3 games, which they should be able to, they are in
Let US, Mexico and Panama fight each other out of WCQ
how many shots at winning 3 games do we get? Who do we have left to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad