Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - WC Qualifiers continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Some interesting names noted here as far as exercised options and those without a contract for next season. Looking like there will be some significant roster turnover:
The team declined options on defenders Omar Gonzalez and Eriq Zavaleta, forward Patrick Mullins, goalkeeper Kevin Silva and defender Rocco Romeo.

Along with Osorio, the team picked up options on goalkeeper Quentin Westberg, defender Auro Jr., midfielder Noble Okello and forwards Jacob Shaffelburg and Ifunanyachi Achara.

Canada internationals midfielder Liam Fraser and forward Ayo Akinola, midfielders Tsubasa Endoh and Nick DeLeon, defender Julian Dunn and forward Erickson Gallardo are all out of contract at year's end.

TFC exercises options on Osorio, five others - TSN.ca

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
Isn’t Ayo Akinola considered a top prospect for TFC? Or at least was (i haven't been following them closely this past year). Why are they letting him go?

They're not letting him go. His contract is expiring. I believe if they offer him a deal they retain his MLS rights but he can walk away and join clubs in other leagues if that is what he wants.

I'm hoping the fact he's coming off a season ending injury will scare other teams away and he resigns with us. Losing him would be a big loss given we hardly have any capable strikers signed for next year.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
They're not letting him go. His contract is expiring. I believe if they offer him a deal they retain his MLS rights but he can walk away and join clubs in other leagues if that is what he wants.

I'm hoping the fact he's coming off a season ending injury will scare other teams away and he resigns with us. Losing him would be a big loss given we hardly have any capable strikers signed for next year.

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Lots of speculation that TFC has offered a monster contract to Lorenzo Insigne and that he is strongly considering it.

Would be a pretty huge acquisition.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
TFC NOTEBOOK: Manning says the club has looked at a few Euros besides Insigne | Toronto Sun

Toronto FC president Bill Manning neither poured water on the Lorenzo Insigne-to-TFC rumours on Friday night nor did he fan the flames.

In other words, stayed tuned.

Increasingly, there have been reports out of Europe, as well as from Nashville soccer writer Will Forbes, that the Italian international has been offered a ton of money by Toronto, possibly a record-breaking amount for MLS. Insigne’s contract expires this summer and the Italian playmaker has not come to terms with Napoli on an extension. According to reports, the Serie A side has offered the 30-year-old only half of what he is demanding.

Insigne, a winger who also can play midfield, has scored 89 goals in 319 appearances for Napoli and has played on the Italian senior national team since 2012. Earlier this year he played for Italy in the UEFA Euro 2020 — the tournament won by the Azzurri. Insigne has scored 10 goals in 53 matches for the senior national team. His current market value according to Transfermarkt is $52.80 million US.

“There’s a lot of players that we inquire about and some you get some traction on and some you don’t,” Manning told the Toronto Sun . “There’s some players in Europe we’ve looked at and we’ve inquired about. We inquire about a lot of players. January is really when things will heat up. In December the trade window opens, you may see some activity there and I think in January is really when the pieces start to be added and subtracted.”

Manning has to tread carefully when talking about possible moves for big-name players, as he still has three Designated Players under contract — Alejandro Pozuelo, Jozy Altidore and Yeferson Soteldo. There’s talk that TFC is hoping to be able to move Altidore and/or Soteldo this off-season. TFC has over $10 million tied up with those three players annually.

As for reports that TFC’s all-time leading scorer Sebastian Giovinco wants back, Manning reiterated that the team has twice talked to the Atomic Ant this fall and that the door is always open to Giovinco, who maintains a residence in Toronto. A TFC source told the Sun last month that Giovinco has asked for too much money and that Toronto would not pay him a DP-type salary to return.

“The (MLS) salary cap is the biggest thing,” said Manning. “We can talk about players all day long but if we can’t put them on our roster because of the league (cap), well, that’s the biggest that you have to manage. Again, as January comes and the window opens up I think there’s going to be movement (with new players). We’ll see how things shake out and see if there’s an opportunity there (with Giovinco).”

Reactions: thehockeysong

Kawhi6God

Jun 14, 2019
I got tickets from work to go to a future game. I only watched the team when they had giovinco and Altidore (admitted bandwaggoner)

I want to go to a game in May / July are there any teams you'd recommend are must watch or have great players? I am not too familiar with the MLS but I have heard tfc games are very fun to go too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad