Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Kaye's standing as a player has gone in the toilet over the last year and a half. Herdman is fiercely loyal but Kaye could not be trusted any longer and his form carried over.

This mess in Toronto is not to be laid at Kaye's feet but his form and body language have been terrible. Blessing plays the game with a smile on his face and at tremendous pace. This awful team could use some enthusiasm and positivity. If not... Terry the terrible will drop the hammer , he's like a young Sir Alex...
Crazy that Kaye has now been traded 3 straight July's.

I like the Blessing addition, always thought he was destined to break out of this league when he first came on the scene. Obviosuly that hasn't happened and his form has also been on the downward this year. Maybe a different looking midfield and change of scenery will be just what he needs to find some of that past magic.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Reactions: TMLeafer

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Someone once told me on here this guy had many offers to go play in Europe???
He did. Chose to stay in Canada and the Whitecaps are likely to use a DP spot on him when his contract is over with Nottingham in 6 months.

I get it, he is 28, been in Canada for essentially his entire career. Why go to Belgium or Turkey at this point?

Reactions: fancy lad

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He did. Chose to stay in Canada and the Whitecaps are likely to use a DP spot on him when his contract is over with Nottingham in 6 months.

I get it, he is 28, been in Canada for essentially his entire career. Why go to Belgium or Turkey at this point?
No
He’s on a 2nd div team in England and came to TFC because he wasn’t getting playing time in 2nd div and some said he was off to a top tier European team

Guess not

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
No
He’s on a 2nd div team in England and came to TFC because he wasn’t getting playing time in 2nd div and some said he was off to a top tier European team

Guess not
Laryea would have been able to hack it in Europe if he found the right fit.. Sure as heck wasn't Forest. They wouldn't even put him in the game day 18 which means there was a big disconnect between the manager and technical director.

Both him and Adekugbe could have found homes in Europe but one must assume they are making a decent penny here in the MLS.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
No

Guess not
He was signed by a second division team as coverage for Spence who was the best RB in the Championship. They then got promoted to the premier league and signed a record number of players before the season. Laryea was on the outs at that point.

I don't think anyone saw him as a Premier League level player, but there was still plenty of interes from other Europe leagues.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Herdman-1024x683.jpg

John Herdman has emerged as a possibility to take over Toronto FC’s vacant head coaching job, The Athletic has learned Monday.

Canada’s men’s national team head coach is not believed to have had a formal interview for the position, but multiple sources familiar with the hiring process told The Athletic he has had informal conversations with TFC about what the job entails.

Multiple sources told The Athletic that Bobby Smyrniotis, head coach of the Canadian Premier League’s Forge FC, and current D.C. United assistant Carl Robinson are among the other prospective coaches who have had formal interviews for the position.

Toronto FC has been without a permanent head coach since parting ways with former head coach and sporting director Bob Bradley at the end of June. Terry Dunfield has served as interim head coach since then, with Jason Hernandez serving as sporting director.

Herdman’s contract as Canada’s men’s national team head coach runs through the 2026 World Cup, according to former Canada Soccer general secretary Earl Cochrane.

Even without a formal interview, the conversations suggest a level of mutual interest from both Herdman and TFC.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Herdman-1024x683.jpg

John Herdman has emerged as a possibility to take over Toronto FC’s vacant head coaching job, The Athletic has learned Monday.

Canada’s men’s national team head coach is not believed to have had a formal interview for the position, but multiple sources familiar with the hiring process told The Athletic he has had informal conversations with TFC about what the job entails.

Multiple sources told The Athletic that Bobby Smyrniotis, head coach of the Canadian Premier League’s Forge FC, and current D.C. United assistant Carl Robinson are among the other prospective coaches who have had formal interviews for the position.

Toronto FC has been without a permanent head coach since parting ways with former head coach and sporting director Bob Bradley at the end of June. Terry Dunfield has served as interim head coach since then, with Jason Hernandez serving as sporting director.

Herdman’s contract as Canada’s men’s national team head coach runs through the 2026 World Cup, according to former Canada Soccer general secretary Earl Cochrane.

Even without a formal interview, the conversations suggest a level of mutual interest from both Herdman and TFC.

Shocking! Even a casual fan could see that coming

Reactions: hockeywiz542

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I just came across these rather staggering stats on this moribund team. Toronto has not won since May 27 when it defeated visiting D.C. United 2-1. It has not picked up a point since June 10 in a 1-1 tie with visiting Nashville SC. And its last goal was June 24, when Deandre Kerr scored in a 2-1 loss at the New England Revolution. Toronto has lost eight straight in all competitions and is winless in 11 (0-8-3). It has won just once in its last 17 games (1-12-4).

It has a horrible interim coach and a disgruntled DP. Maybe we should thank Apple TV for taking this pathetic excuse for a team from Canadian airwaves.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
It's crazy how little i care. I am admittedly a sports nerd and Soccer is my favorite sport. I've been with TFC since the days of Jim Brennan, Maurice Edu, Danny Dichio, etc, but that whole apple TV move was such a terrible direction to take and i just can't let it go. Until they go back to regular TV, i can't be bothered.

I really wonder how much viewership has been affected. I know numbers can be fudged and spins can be taken in any direction as per some "analysis", but there's NO way Apple Tv has not been a disaster for certain markets.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
It's crazy how little i care. I am admittedly a sports nerd and Soccer is my favorite sport. I've been with TFC since the days of Jim Brennan, Maurice Edu, Danny Dichio, etc, but that whole apple TV move was such a terrible direction to take and i just can't let it go. Until they go back to regular TV, i can't be bothered.

I really wonder how much viewership has been affected. I know numbers can be fudged and spins can be taken in any direction as per some "analysis", but there's NO way Apple Tv has not been a disaster for certain markets.
If I were guessing, I would say that viewership is up overall and across most markets in the US. OTOH, I would guess that TFC's market has just cratered.

Edit: Something to keep in mind is that TFC's average viewership last year would have been somewhere between 5-10% of the league's viewship this year (there are 29 teams). Also keep in mind that approximately 300K of the fans subscribed to Season Pass have done so since Messi joined (which doesn't really have any impact on reducing Canadian coverage).

I can't find actual numbers for TFC, Montreal or Vancouver, but the last year I see a number for was 2016 and it was around 90K for TFC alone.

Also keep in mind that a few TFC-Montreal games have outdrawn MLS's entire subscription base for this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: fancy lad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad