Toronto FC: Toronto FC/Canada Soccer Discussion Thread - 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Terrible first half and red card. Other than that this was the first game where I felt we had a chance in a long while

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
This team is abysmal. Nothing has changed by bringing in untalented retreads from other MLS teams. That defence is nothing short of incompetent. A goalie who can’t make a save. No creativity on offence. And an absolutely brain dead red card from a guy who shouldn’t see the field again. But hey, they scored so it is an improvement.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This team is abysmal. Nothing has changed by bringing in untalented retreads from other MLS teams. That defence is nothing short of incompetent. A goalie who can’t make a save. No creativity on offence. And an absolutely brain dead red card from a guy who shouldn’t see the field again. But hey, they scored so it is an improvement.
I left at halftime .. omg that is a bad bad bad team .. bradley jr needs to go asap .. bradley sr really f*cked us bad bad bad .. manning needs to get beheaded too for hiring him .. real toxic atmosphere at bmo .. completely embarrassing in every way possible for tfc

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
With a healthy squad, this should be a competitive club on paper. Unfortunately, the dissent in the locker room had crept in so deep that it left this season a complete write off.

We need a new president, a new coach, and a new direction.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Manning has destroyed this franchise. Hiring Bradley Sr. was a massive mistake. They have talent up front but the D is atrocious and for the love of soccer get a keeper!!! It’s so deflating when you’re lead guy is giving up goals every chance

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Who cares. theres obviously no way any Italian born players will be here beyond this season and this season is already over.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We shall see how Herdman works out for TFC. Clearly it's a paycheck upgrade, and a big opportunity for him. He's been good at building teams, but I'm not sure I'd say he's been a great coach. His teams have been competitive, but never got over the hump.

The Men's National Team, Soccer Canada and Soccer Business are all a giant mess, and really the Women's team is at a bit of a crossroads too.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
My wife just asked me why would he leave when the WC is only 2 years away I said well for 1. There is a financial issue with Canada Soccer right now and 2. MLSE probably backed up the brinks truck to his house.

Massive W for TFC. Canada Soccer needs to get their heads out of their ass however

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
It will be interesting to see if the Italians stick around for the gut job that's going to have to happen.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I am a bit confused about Herdman's move. I know that it's good for TFC, but why would he pass on a opportunity to coach Canada at the next World Cup?

If the answer is simply Canada Soccer is a mess right now, then this is a very telling move.

For a small moment I wanted to believe that Canada Soccer is healthy. Why do we have to go back to the shit show ways?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

There were immediate questions surrounding his departure. Why would he leave a program he had helped resurrect, taking it to just the second World Cup appearance in history, for an under-achieving MLS team with a bloated payroll that will have had four head coaches (including current interim Terry Dunfield) in two years when he takes over in October? Especially with another World Cup appearance coming as one of the host countries in 2026?

Financial constraints were one. The Canadian Soccer Association’s ill-conceived deal with Canada Soccer Business has sapped its income stream, sparking a labour dispute with both its men’s and women’s teams, and an inability to schedule high-calibre friendlies — like missing out being able to schedule any fixtures for the September window. And Herdman was a victim of his own success — he achieved World Cup status and made the Nations League final, but those accomplishments also raised expectations. Failing to record a win in Qatar, and losing to the U.S. in the Nation’s League championship game were deemed failures.

Reports of stars such as Alphonso Davies and Milan Borjan becoming disillusioned with his leadership also began to leak out.

And maybe, it was just time.

“I’m obviously very disappointed. He meant a lot to me, he meant a lot to the players. And I think everything runs its course of time,” said Vancouver Whitecaps and Canadian national team back Sam Adekugbe.

“He felt that was best for him and ultimately, things things move on. I know he’s going to a team that I would rather not speak about, but I have nothing bad to say about him. He is an excellent guy and excellent character, and I wish him all the best in Toronto.”

“Things run (their) course,” he continued. “In football, you don’t see many coaches hanging around for five, 10 years in their teams. So I think John felt that he ran his course — and that’s for him to decide. We cannot say anything. We’re all disappointed.”

“I see a lot of rubbish in the news and I won’t speak about it, but I think it’s wrong to say that he lost the locker room.

“I don’t want to give (the reports) any credit. When I hear things like he’s lost the locker room completely … it’s almost ridiculous to say. We played in the Nations League final, we played in a World Cup, and if you lose a locker room … how are we really getting into those positions in the first place?”

“That’s a tough one for the guys, all the players to take, because he’s been there for the last five years,” added Caps fullback Richie Laryea, another national team player and former TFC defender.

“He’s done really well with our program. He’s brought the national team to heights that many people didn’t even think was possible. Obviously, gutted in a sense of the national team, because he’s done well, but I know this is now a new opportunity for him. He’s the guy that likes projects. So I know he’s gonna do really well at TFC as well. They’re lucky to have him.”

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
On the surface, this definitely seems like a lazy sort of hire by Manning driven primarily by optics to bolster season ticket renewals after a disastrous season.

That being said, I think Manning may have lucked out this time. Herdman has proven that he is capable of rebuilding a program from the ground up and resetting a culture under even more difficult circumstances.

I am cautiously optimistic that we have finally found some stability moving forward.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
You've had Bob Bradley a more highly regarded national team coach fired this year. Let's hire another national team coach, with less experience.

I don't like the hire for TFC but I do appreciate what he did for Canada. If not for the poor financials I would be excited about who team Canada grab as a coach.

Overall I predict this will be bad for both parties (Canada and TFC) involved, you have a non-tactical first time club coach going into a disaster. And Canada soccer are likely to grab some trash cpl coach to replace him.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
You've had Bob Bradley a more highly regarded national team coach fired this year. Let's hire another national team coach, with less experience.

I don't like the hire for TFC but I do appreciate what he did for Canada. If not for the poor financials I would be excited about who team Canada grab as a coach.

Overall I predict this will be bad for both parties (Canada and TFC) involved, you have a non-tactical first time club coach going into a disaster. And Canada soccer are likely to grab some trash cpl coach to replace him.
The one thing you can count on with Herdman is that he will invest 110% of himself to turn the ship around. He is also known to work tirelessly in terms of tactical preparation for every opponent, although he will have less time to do so in between matches at the professional level.

Based on the current state of the franchise, he literally has nowhere to go but up.

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad