Confirmed Trade: [TOR/STL/MIN] O'Reilly, Acciari, Pillar to TOR; Abramov, Gaudette, ‘23 1st, ‘23 3rd, ‘24 2nd to STL; ‘25 4th to MIN

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yep creates an absolute matchup nightmare.

Really good decision for the Leafs. They probably could’ve stood to upgrade the goaltending too. But I don’t think there were many options out there to do so and not any cap to do so either.

ROR should open the ice up for the top two lines in a shutdown role and play pretty even with top opposition. Good to see him rise from the dead after miraculously healing from what some made seem to be a career ending foot injury from blocking a shot.
Watching Woll tonight, I'm pretty convinced they did not need to upgrade the goaltending. Kid looks legit.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Really good decision for the Leafs. They probably could’ve stood to upgrade the goaltending too. But I don’t think there were many options out there to do so and not any cap to do so either.

ROR should open the ice up for the top two lines in a shutdown role and play pretty even with top opposition. Good to see him rise from the dead after miraculously healing from what some made seem to be a career ending foot injury from blocking a shot.

Goaltending is probably the position we are most confident in.

Between Samsonov and Woll the tandem looks like it has 2 legitimate options

Reactions: Sundinisagod

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Trying to upgrade goaltending at the deadline almost always fails anyway. It's such a mentally focused position, that changing of teams, systems, environments tends to throw deadline acquisition goaltenders for a loop. You can maybe upgrade your backup goaltender and have them step in if necessary, but by that late point in the season...you're kinda stuck running what you brung as far as starters go.

I think the Blues learned that lesson back when they tried to bring in Ryan Miller mid-stream and it went absolutely atrociously. Not that he wasn't still a quality goaltender at the time, but he just never seemed to get comfortable. That seems the be the way it often goes. For goaltenders, even more so typical deadline pickups that can integrate more quickly.

Reactions: TopCheese

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Trying to upgrade goaltending at the deadline almost always fails anyway. It's such a mentally focused position, that changing of teams, systems, environments tends to throw deadline acquisition goaltenders for a loop. You can maybe upgrade your backup goaltender and have them step in if necessary, but by that late point in the season...you're kinda stuck running what you brung as far as starters go.

I think the Blues learned that lesson back when they tried to bring in Ryan Miller mid-stream and it went absolutely atrociously. Not that he wasn't still a quality goaltender at the time, but he just never seemed to get comfortable. That seems the be the way it often goes. For goaltenders, even more so typical deadline pickups that can integrate more quickly.

I’m pretty sure mid-season rookie call ups have a better track record than rentals by quite a bit.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I’m pretty sure mid-season rookie call ups have a better track record than rentals by quite a bit.

Yeah. I know i'd certainly prefer to lean on a young, unproven guy from within the system rather than an outside veteran acquisition when it comes to deadline goaltending changes.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

The goaltending thing I just don't get it why people are so focused on it.

Samsonov is 8th in sv% in the NHL, 5th in GAA, and 10th in GSAX.

He's a legit goalie for us IDK why people act like he isn't any good.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I mean he came through in the clutch last night, as least as clutch as a regular season game can be.

He made it 4-2, it ended 4-3 so he got the winner, hell he even aplogized to Knies because he thought he took it away from the kid.

To be honest I'm not sure he did, I think it might have stopped on the goal line if he didn't touch it.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
The goaltending thing I just don't get it why people are so focused on it.

Samsonov is 8th in sv% in the NHL, 5th in GAA, and 10th in GSAX.

He's a legit goalie for us IDK why people act like he isn't any good.

Samsonov is good. I am a bit more worried about the secondary goalie. I haven't watched Woll much but id imagine he wasn't in the picture at the time of the deadline anyways.

It's pretty moot regardless if Samsonov can handle the brunt of the load for playoffs anyways.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This trade had a double effect. Moving JT to the wing, while giving the leafs three top players on one line. For years Dubas has made the fanbase suffer with the endless parade of Kerfoots on the LW. Now its over.

Jarnkrok/Bunting Matthews Marner
Tavares O'Reilly Nylander

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Samsonov is good. I am a bit more worried about the secondary goalie. I haven't watched Woll much but id imagine he wasn't in the picture at the time of the deadline anyways.

It's pretty moot regardless if Samsonov can handle the brunt of the load for playoffs anyways.

He wasn't but he's taken over the backup spot because Matt Murray is as durable as melted cheese

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Same risk as any unproven goalie. Could shit the bed tomorrow or he could continue playing well. He has 10 NHL GP now with a .925sv% 2.41 GAA and 1 SO. That is pretty promising but a lot of those games were against meh teams.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
I mean, he had something like 12 points in 13 games, and a goal in two playoff games. That's pretty productive.
Yeah funny how a lot of leaf fans thought he was used up garbage. Dude shows up for playoffs. Just wait til ge starts shutting down other teams best offense.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Yep, that's what he was last season too. He still had a decent year offensively and was Selke caliber defensively, but he immediately became our best player in the playoffs. He's just a rock.
I am really liking what ROR is bringing to this team, same with Acciari, I hope the Blues get good players with the picks so its a win win trade

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
ROR and Acciari are playoff animals. They hit everything in-site, crawl into the corners and fight to the death every puck battle, and crash the net like wildmen.

Great additions.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Who thought this? Who are these "a lot of Leaf fans"?

I've honestly never seen any ROR slander other than him being a slower skater.
He's just referring to all the trade threads leading up to the eventual thread, and it was more just outsiders in general that look at his stats and said he was washed up. He's clearly not washed up.

I do remember some Leaf fans thinking this would be Foligno 2.0, but doesn't matter now, you guys are clearly happy with him, and Acciari was a smart add as well.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Yeah funny how a lot of leaf fans thought he was used up garbage. Dude shows up for playoffs. Just wait til ge starts shutting down other teams best offense.

? I really didn't see that and he was great for us in the games he played in the regular season. I didn't see much other than people being excited that he was joining the team and getting Acciari at the same time was a hell of a sweetener.

Reactions: Holls Blackmail

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I don't know what "a lot" to you means, but my post can be found on page one from months back saying this would be a smart add for Toronto. And I've seen the same opinion from the majority of Leafs fans who have weighed in.

Assuming there are about a thousand Leafs fans on this site, you read negative ROR posts from what? Four... five posters? And used that as your bases for "a lot of Leafs fans thought this way", lol. Common man.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
Who thought this? Who are these "a lot of Leaf fans"?

I've honestly never seen any ROR slander other than him being a slower skater.
Bs man the whole time people were saying he was old washed up slow and injury prone. I even stated that as soon as he would be traded to tor that leaf fans would be upset till they saw him play.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Bs man the whole time people were saying he was old washed up slow and injury prone. I even stated that as soon as he would be traded to tor that leaf fans would be upset till they saw him play.
Leaf fans were saying that or other fans? Was it just 1 or 2 people?

Either way, he's beloved now. A true tank of a man.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
Leaf fans were saying that or other fans? Was it just 1 or 2 people?

Either way, he's beloved now. A true tank of a man.
It was quite a few. Don't act like you didn't see it. It was taking place 2 weeks before trade saying that orielly was worth a late 2nd and cap dump lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00