Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Patrick Marleau - 3 years, $6.25M AAV (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Dude, are you ever not whining about something? Take a day off.

Pretty much everyone else thats not a Leaf fan too. whinning whinning whinning, probably because their team doesn't have a good team or has **** poor management.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Expect regression. Unless your name is Jagr, you don't get better as you get closer to 40.

How can you not think there's a decent chance he does really well if put on a line with Matthews and Nylander? It's not a stretch to think he'll maintain his point producing at the very least.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
How can you not think there's a decent chance he does really well if put on a line with Matthews and Nylander? It's not a stretch to think he'll maintain his point producing at the very least.

It's possible. But why risk losing a core player like Gardiner in 2 years for a 40 year old Marleau?

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
It's possible. But why risk losing a core player like Gardiner in 2 years for a 40 year old Marleau?

I choose to believe there's a plan. Maybe trading someone like Gardiner was always in the plan. That third year is risky but I can't believe the group we have didn't think of decent contingencies

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Even if he doesn't, he's a far more versatile replacement to JVR or Bozak. His value shouldn't be entirely weighted on offensive numbers.

Babcock knows the player and obviously has a plan for how to utilize him. I'll wait on that before jumping. Everyone is questioning the 3rd year, I'll wait and see.... Lou and Babcock didn't get where they are without having a vision and ability to stick to the plan.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Nope

Oh I saw that ninja edit

Lol who? Inb4 some random 50 point player because you don't understand the Leafs situation

He played with one of the best assist men in recent memory in Thornton and that is not going to be the case in Toronto. I would love for him to succeed but i don't see it.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
He played with one of the best assist men in recent memory in Thornton and that is not going to be the case in Toronto. I would love for him to succeed but i don't see it.

Too bad you don't, but I see it.

He goes from a 40-assist man in Jumbo Joe, to a 40-goal man in Matthews.. who would have had way more assists had he played the entire year with Nylander, and Hyman could actually finish every opportunity setup for him point blank.

He was dumped on the 3rd line with mostly 2nd PP duties in SJ.

Patty is going to have a great offensive year.

BeLeafer11

Jan 12, 2009
Reading this thread, I'm trying to figure out if most people commenting are really this stupid or if they are just good old-fashioned leaf haters. The latter being perfectly acceptable.

The Leafs will literally have 1 window of opportunity to overpay for the type of veteran this team desperately needs. They have used said opportunity and will have him off their books just in time. Sure it's an over payment by 1m but we need to be at cap ceiling to fully utilize LTIR anyways so there is really no downside. I for one am very happy that we just added another top 6 piece with tons of leadership qualities and experience. Good job MLSE

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I'm not a Leaf fan but I think this is a good signing for them. Yes it's pricier than I thought and yes it would've been better at 2 years as compared to 3 but ...

They've got their kids on ELCs so take advantage while you can. Deal with the fall-out in 2 years. It'll work out.
Also Marleau is still a very good hockey player.
And equally important a very solid vet.

I actually had the Leafs pencilled in as regressing next year as teams adjusted to their 'new look' team - but the addition of Marleau makes them a scarier team, and should be a calming presence if things go south a bit. I think it's an excellent move. And just like that I don't think they will regress as much. Nor blow so many leads.

It's just expensive - but - that is what it is.

Leaf fans should be happy.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
the way the contract is structured the 3rd year should be the least of anyone's concerns , dumping an actually salary of 1.25m to a cap floor team with a small add should be easy

and if this moves drops Babs worthless son to the 4th line then Marleau will be worth every penny

Last edited:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
The fear was palpable on TSN1200 this morning, especially from Lee Versage (generally universally cogent, but he seems to have a hate-on for the excessively talented Mitchell Marner for some reason) who went from Marleau being overpaid (arguable, yes) to the Leafs defence corps.

There are a ton of contracts coming off the books for the Leafs in a few years. If they can move JVR for another respectable d-man, they will have tremendously improved their team. Add Liljegren and Dermott down the road and you have an absolute, rock-solid foundation.

Marleau will likely see an uptick in points playing with these guys as well. Marleau chose wisely, while Thornton chose the comfortable pillow. I think we all choose that pillow at some point though, so it's not a bad thing.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm not a Leaf fan but I think this is a good signing for them. Yes it's pricier than I thought and yes it would've been better at 2 years as compared to 3 but ...

They've got their kids on ELCs so take advantage while you can. Deal with the fall-out in 2 years. It'll work out.
Also Marleau is still a very good hockey player.
And equally important a very solid vet.

I actually had the Leafs pencilled in as regressing next year as teams adjusted to their 'new look' team - but the addition of Marleau makes them a scarier team, and should be a calming presence if things go south a bit. I think it's an excellent move. And just like that I don't think they will regress as much. Nor blow so many leads.

It's just expensive - but - that is what it is.

Leaf fans should be happy.

Most of us are, yeah it's a year more then I would like. The reaction here is rather predictable unfortunately.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

....who assisted on something like 5 of Marleau's goals? Apart from PP, they haven't played much together for a couple years now.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think they'll regret it before it's over, possibly as soon as next offseason. But hey, it's UFA, didn't give up anything but money to get him, and Toronto has plenty of money. As long as it doesn't affect any of the young guys coming off ELC's, it probably doesn't really matter.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets fan here,

Not sure why some people here are hating this deal so much.

- Got a top 6 forward

- Gave up zero assets to get him

- Brings speed, scoring (albeit less then his prime) and most of vet leadership

- Leafs (similar to Jets) have a short window to overpay vets on short term to win now before their young stars get huge raises. Jets did the exact same thing with signing FA to help our defence. Cap isn't important unless your going to exceed it. Both Leafs & Jets have so many good young ELC we can afford to overpay a Vet FA on short term deal.

- So yes the Leafs had to overpay to get him to go to the Leafs in dollars & term but who cares, this isn't going to negatively affect the Leafs cap wise in anyway.

IMO pretty good signing and very far from bad like others are saying. Congrats

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Pretty much everyone else thats not a Leaf fan too. whinning whinning whinning, probably because their team doesn't have a good team or has **** poor management.

Says the guy who cheers for a team that just signed old man Marleau to a 6.25 mill a year x3 contract. And signed Ron Hainsey and Dominic Moore. LOL. Too damn funny.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
....who assisted on something like 5 of Marleau's goals? Apart from PP, they haven't played much together for a couple years now.

They usually played on different lines. They played together a little more this year though but that had more to do with line juggling

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Says the guy who cheers for a team that just signed old man Marleau to a 6.25 mill a year x3 contract. And signed Ron Hainsey and Dominic Moore. LOL. Too damn funny.
Veteran presence was needed and addressed.

What's funny is how the Canucks fans tried to burn down their city, and now management is succeeding in burning down the entire franchise.

Keep laughing, jokes on you.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I think this is a great signing for the Leafs. I think having a veteran player of this magnitude will prove to be a great move. Most Canuck fans and Ryan Keller himself felt that signing Sundin was one of the best moves for our up and coming team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad