Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Patrick Marleau - 3 years, $6.25M AAV (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
What does that even mean?

There hasnt been 10 players consistenly on the roster the past 3 seasons.

It's means over the past 3 seasons (even if they didn't play 3 seasons) Marleau has the 10th best P/60. You're paying a guy the most money on the team to be the 10th best producing forward 5v5.. veteran presence duh duh.

TMLer

I was saying boo-urns
Feb 11, 2013
Ottawa
I don't understand why teams don't consult HF boards before making moves. We clearly know better than the experts.

....well maybe Vancouver SHOULD actually consult somebody that knows something.... Anything.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston

Yeah, looks fantastic. Let's downgrade on JVR for a declining player that brings "veteran leadership". Lmao what the **** is this garbage. Paying our 10th best 5v5 scorer the most of any forward on our team ahaha.

I'd like to see the list. There is no way this is accurate. What does this even mean?

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I love the signing and hainsey too, can you imagine the young 3 stars getting that vast information. Hainsey just came off a championship run and marleau with his ton of experience, awards and looks like the perfect mentor for the 3 future super stars.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Get a grip. When JVR gets flipped for a D man, I'll be very happy. Marleau fills in some gaps. Who cares? We have the room, why not spend it. What a mentor marleau will be for Matthews to groom him through captaincy.

Oh man. People need to stop believing JVR will get us a top-4 defenseman. He's a rental. Playoff teams/contenders are the ones who want rentals. Playoff teams/contenders don't trade top-4 defenseman for rentals.

We will get futures for JVR and our team will be worse because of it.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It's true that Toronto should go "all in" while players like Marner & Matthews are on cheap ELCs. Therefore I approve of Marleau acquistion, who even if old, is still hell of a player.

They should have gone and acquire top 4 defenseman like Travis Hamonic though. They need help on defense, meanwhile they signed Ron ****ing Hainsey to a $6M deal.

I think there was alot more to it than just acquiring TH. Have a feeling Toronto would have ponied the same picks, but NYI knew western Canada is where he wanted to play.

And to be honest, once the dust settles I am just as happy we missed on Alzner and Shattenkirk.

We have time now to access the trade market with a plethora of moveable options on offense.

Crazy to look at really. Any combo of Kadri/JvR/Bozak/Kapanen/Leivo/picks. Can be used (depending on magnitude - I.e Kadri) and still leave us in good shape up front.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Points per 60 minutes. Takes the amount of points you scored 5v5 and divides it by every 60 minutes you played.

:facepalm: Right, I am aware of this.

But really. Who are the 9 players that have scored more P/60 than Marleau over the last three seasons?

Last edited:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I think there was alot more to it than just acquiring TH. Have a feeling Toronto would have ponied the same picks, but NYI knew western Canada is where he wanted to play.

And to be honest, once the dust settles I am just as happy we missed on Alzner and Shattenkirk.

We have time now to access the trade market with a plethora of moveable options on offense.

Crazy to look at really. Any combo of Kadri/JvR/Bozak/Kapanen/Leivo/picks. Can be used (depending on magnitude - I.e Kadri) and still leave us in good shape up front.

Yeah, you should still definitely try to get top 4 defenseman... but it could be pretty hard now. Who's potentially available? It would be a wasted opportunity if Toronto did not try to do something. But with this Marleau signing there for sure has to be something in the works.

Definitely good thing that you missed on Alzner, lol. 5 years at 4.5M for him... Shattenkirk is not the type of defenseman that Toronto needs, so options were not there via Free Agency. Need to trade for one.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I dont get this trade, why are people saying this is making team better?
Right know and for the future JVR is better player than Marleau, and you are gonna trade your better RW for a D and leave out aging guy who passed his prime long time ago. :D

I'm guessing JVR would want more than 2 years on his next contract for one?

The salary cap is a pretty important thing to consider when building a team.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Patty can still skate and hunt pucks. He isn't quite what he once was offensively but he still has juice on the pp and can get clean entries with ease.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Yeah, you should still definitely try to get top 4 defenseman... but it could be pretty hard now. Who's potentially available? It would be a wasted opportunity if Toronto did not try to do something. But with this Marleau signing there for sure has to be something in the works.

Definitely good thing that you missed on Alzner, lol. 5 years at 4.5M for him... Shattenkirk is not the type of defenseman that Toronto needs, so options were not there via Free Agency. Need to trade for one.

I would love to be sitting at the doorstep when Carolina decides they want forward help.
Another option is rolling with what we have until the deal presents itself. Our current d group plugged along "ok" last year. Deadline time could potentially open up options when teams look to position themselves in what looks to be a strong draft.

Top4 help is ideal, but no sense forcing it. Our management group is smart enough to know our window of success doesn't ride on Marleau's signing.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
It's means over the past 3 seasons (even if they didn't play 3 seasons) Marleau has the 10th best P/60. You're paying a guy the most money on the team to be the 10th best producing forward 5v5.. veteran presence duh duh.

:thumbu:
Points per 60 played. Marleau is ranked 157th in 2016-2017. JVR is 19th.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
:laugh: :facepalm:

Right, I am aware of this.

But really. Who are the 9 players that have scored more P/60 than Marleau over the last three seasons?

You said you don't understand, my bad.

Marleau P/60 (3 years) - 1.35

P/60 (3 years) better on the Leafs:
1. Marner - 2.13
2. Matthews - 2.12
3. JVR - 1.88
4. Nylander - 1.71
5. Bozak - 1.64
6. Kadri - 1.62
7. Komarov - 1.40

(Left out Boyes 1.65 & Michalek - 1.38)

Also, Leaf fans hate Hyman and his P/60 is 1.26 (and brings much stronger defense)

Oh wait, people say he's a goal scorer?? Guess again:

Marleau's G/60 - 0.67

1. Matthews - 1.5
2. JVR - 0.95
3. Marner - 0.86
4. Brown - 0.77
5. Kadri - 0.73
6. Boyle - 0.73
7. Lupul - 0.68
8. Nylander - 0.68

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Marleau is a player that's played 1st line minutes 5v5 for the past 3 seasons, and has scored at a 3rd line pace. We're paying more than 6M for a guy that is worse offensively than Komarov (marginally better on the PP), and everyone thinks Komarov is useless offensively.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I would love to be sitting at the doorstep when Carolina decides they want forward help.
Another option is rolling with what we have until the deal presents itself. Our current d group plugged along "ok" last year. Deadline time could potentially open up options when teams look to position themselves in what looks to be a strong draft.

Top4 help is ideal, but no sense forcing it. Our management group is smart enough to know our window of success doesn't ride on Marleau's signing.

Sure, it doesn't ride on Marleau's signing, but when you have multiple elite players on ELCs, who are already game-changing players, then you should take advantage of it and try to build Cup winning team around them already at this point. They are going to ask for massive ammount of money right after their ELCs are finished.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Marleau is a player that's played 1st line minutes 5v5 for the past 3 seasons, and has scored at a 3rd line pace. We're paying more than 6M for a guy that is worse offensively than Komarov (marginally better on the PP), and everyone thinks Komarov is useless offensively.

Are you kidding?

HF would be far more enjoyable if it wasn't so full of people who don't know ****, constantly talking ****.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Go check out the 2017 cup winning defense

That 2017 d core had the luxury of having Crosby, Malkin, and Murray on their team. Surely, you do not equate any of those players with any Leafs players.

Overall, this is a good move by TML. Marleau still has gas in the tank and the money doesn't really matter.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
:facepalm: Right, I am aware of this.

Minimum 1000 mins 5v5

Pavelski
Hansen
Couture
Thornton
Hertl
Karlsson
Burns
Donskoi
Boedker
Marleau

Even at 2000 mins he's only 9th.

Having said that, JVR would rank first on the Sharks over this period of time. So it's not the be all, end all.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016

Prove me wrong. :laugh::popcorn:

You're acting like P/60 is some static stat that won't change depending on his situation... JVR/Bozak/Kadri/etc all had their P/60 skyrocket this year playing with the kids. It will happen to Marleau as well and you will look very stupid.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
This is bad for Toronto. They could of made the same offer to someone 10 years or so younger instead of the aging Marleau.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You're acting like P/60 is some static stat that won't change depending on his situation... JVR/Bozak/Kadri/etc all had their P/60 skyrocket this year playing with the kids. It will happen to Marleau as well and you will look very stupid.

Yes, the guy declining for 5 years will magically look like his 28 year old self again.

It's jokes you think this because his most common linemates last season were Jumbo, Couture, and Pavelski. Are you saying they're not as good as our kids?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Prove me wrong. :laugh::popcorn:

I'm not sure what's funnier; that people still use these flawed stats, or that's what you're basing your entire opinion on?

How will he be utilized? Who will he play with? If he takes JVR's spot, will he bring more value in all 3 zones?

You literally have no idea about any of this but base your opinion on flawed numbers, created so people who have no idea can think they have a clue. Remember when Jason Demers signed, and clowns were posting his advanced numbers saying it's a steal? ..... now they're having trouble giving him away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad