Proposal: TOR-MTL (Weber)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
therefore the habs should trade a number 1 D for a bunch of cap dumps/4th liners/ahlers.
Yep makes total sense...

And he could also be bad in another year or so and then you can't get out of the contract at which point "only" 6 years to go.

1st is good
Bracco/Nielsen/Leivo -I mean depending on what you want to gamble on. Bracco for example has been around PT/Game for sometime in the AHL, recent 2nd rounder
Kapanen/Brown - Young middle 6 wingers that will likely give you around 20 goals if they got top 9 ice time
Zaitsev- 2nd/3rd pairing RD
Martin - yes, cap dump - his term is lesser then Shaw though - only produced 8 less points then Shaw as well in the same GP and zero PP time

What else are you expecting? Weber's contract *could* look bad anytime now (again, I am willing to risk it, but it is considered a risk for a reason), Shaw (1m retained) and Deslaurier are not exactly assets that you have the entire league out to acquire.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
lol watching the playoffs, yah the leafs SHOULD pay a handsome amount for weber. leafs d needs help, BIGLY. Keep spouting off those prospects though, lets be real...even if they make an impact, it won't be as top pairing dmen for a few years (if ever).

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don't think Leafs can realistically afford Weber (for what he brings; obviously exceptions could be made if he was 10 years younger)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think Leafs can realistically afford Weber (for what he brings; obviously exceptions could be made if he was 10 years younger)

Cap wise it can be done...now if you mean asset wise I think it can be done if the ask is reasonable. Some fans have high expectations for a return, others not so much. I think Bergevin likely values Weber much more then most posters on here do. A new GM? They might be happy to unload the deal and call it a day.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
And he could also be bad in another year or so and then you can't get out of the contract at which point "only" 6 years to go.

1st is good
Bracco/Nielsen/Leivo -I mean depending on what you want to gamble on. Bracco for example has been around PT/Game for sometime in the AHL, recent 2nd rounder
Kapanen/Brown - Young middle 6 wingers that will likely give you around 20 goals if they got top 9 ice time
Martin - yes, cap dump - his term is lesser then Shaw though - only produced 8 less points then Shaw as well in the same GP and zero PP time

What else are you expecting? Weber's contract *could* look bad anytime now (again, I am willing to risk it, but it is considered a risk for a reason), Shaw (1m retained) and Deslaurier are not exactly assets that you have the entire league out to acquire.

What else are you expecting you ask? We're expecting to keep Weber. Thanks but no thanks buddy.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
10 years younger we are asking for Matthews

Right, obviously I didn't mean younger Weber for the same package. I was just saying that contract would be awesome for a younger Weber, whereas it is somewhat of a concern right now.

Cap wise it can be done...now if you mean asset wise I think it can be done if the ask is reasonable. Some fans have high expectations for a return, others not so much. I think Bergevin likely values Weber much more then most posters on here do. A new GM? They might be happy to unload the deal and call it a day.

It's true that it could work out, but I just think that given the impending raises of Matthews/Marner/Nylander, it might be problematic to have $7.9M dedicated to Weber until he's 40.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Right, obviously I didn't mean younger Weber for the same package. I was just saying that contract would be awesome for a younger Weber, whereas it is somewhat of a concern right now.

It's true that it could work out, but I just think that given the impending raises of Matthews/Marner/Nylander, it might be problematic to have $7.9M dedicated to Weber until he's 40.

This deal makes it feasible, certainly would need to be smart with the cap moving forward.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
replace brown/kapanen with nylander/marner and you have the value but still dont see habs doing it, because whats the point of being loaded up front with D that totally sucks? you end up getting swept first round by Boston, although maybe with Price its possible to advance a little farther.
So a 1st, 4th, marner/Nylander, bracco/Nielsen and Zaitsev and you still don’t see Montreal doing it? Good grief. Give your head a shake.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
He does have 8 years left on his contract though and will be 33 in August. At some point decline hits, then what? Just thinking that if I were in that position and looking at where Montreal is, would it make more sense to acquire some assets now?
thread

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
He does have 8 years left on his contract though and will be 33 in August. At some point decline hits, then what? Just thinking that if I were in that position and looking at where Montreal is, would it make more sense to acquire some assets now?
There are other teams they could trade him to .

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ha, good sense of humor.

I just can't wrap my head around offering much more then this (also we're taking Shaw in this deal too) when there is no telling Weber hits the "wall". At some point that contract is going to really suck which is where I don't see Marner or Nylander in the conversation. If Weber was 25-26? Sure.

That’s a whole bunch of nothing and cap dump coming back. If you’re not ready to pay to play don’t ask for a seat on the table.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
In 2 years, if Weber declines, you'll want to get out of that contract, do you think Weber returns even a 1st at that point?

If Weber declines in 2 years, he won't play the last 3 years of his contract and recapture will be on the Preds. If he is still a solid top pair D, his contract will be pretty good. That pretty much kills the argument of the ''Anchor contract''. But i feel like we will still have to explain this part agin and again and again.

As for the OP, keep your scrap ans stop trying to get a top pair RHD without sacrifying a piece you don't want to.

Reactions: jfhabs

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Shea Weber is definitely the type of defenceman the leafs should be looking at. Big, tough as nails defenceman with a great shot that can clear out the front of the net. He has tons of experience and leadership. He is getting a bit older but that also brings the experience and leadership that would hopefully help stabilize the defence. He has the ability to still be a top pairing defenceman for the next few years. In a few years if his play has dipped you trade him if he hasn’t retired. There is always bottom teams that look to players like him for cap reasons. As for a trade. You can bet that almost all teams wouldn’t give up one of there best young players for him. Especially ones that are 10 years younger. Montreal would want a lot but it doesn’t mean they would get a player like Marner/Nylander. Montreal would be looking for a lot of picks and prospects. Now if Montreal thinks they can get better than that. By all means keep looking but I wouldn’t wait to long.

Reactions: Grabner

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If Weber declines in 2 years, he won't play the last 3 years of his contract and recapture will be on the Preds. If he is still a solid top pair D, his contract will be pretty good. That pretty much kills the argument of the ''Anchor contract''. But i feel like we will still have to explain this part agin and again and again.

As for the OP, keep your scrap ans stop trying to get a top pair RHD without sacrifying a piece you don't want to.

LOL he won't be retiring and giving up that money. Horton, Savard have been on LTIR to finish out their deals and weber will be too. The NHLPA won't allow it.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
LOL he won't be retiring and giving up that money. Horton, Savard have been on LTIR to finish out their deals and weber will be too. The NHLPA won't allow it.

Lol is on you. Since when NHLPA doesn't allowed a player to retire... He will be 38 yo. If he wants to retire, nobody can do shit about it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Lol is on you. Since when NHLPA doesn't allowed a player to retire... He will be 38 yo. If he wants to retire, nobody can do **** about it.

He's had enough injuries issues that it'll be an LTIR situation if he is too hurt to continue in a few years. You don't get it that players don't walk away from a million guaranteed in salary with these backdiving deals. They "retire" but in a financial sense they're still active.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
He's had enough injuries issues that it'll be an LTIR situation if he is too hurt to continue in a few years. You don't get it that players don't walk away from a million guaranteed in salary with these backdiving deals. They "retire" but in a financial sense they're still active.

Would you care to list those injuries??

As far as i know, this year's injury was the 1st of his career...

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Neutral fan.

Montreal needs to bite the bullet, and lose the deal, similar to the Kessel to PIT deal. Just get him off the roster, and start the rebuild. 1st, Zaitsev, Kapanen is pretty good, maybe more picks/prospects added on Toronto's end.

That is just god awful. Zaitsev is barely NHL material and he’s making 4.75 (I think) over the next 7 years.

Weber is 32, not 39. His skillset has never been centered around speed so I’m confident his elite play can continue up until his late 30’s, ala Chara

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

1st is good

We’re sinply not expecting him to get traded and if we ever do, Toronto is the last place we will look at, especially if all we’re getting are cap dumps, mere NHL players and a late 1st.

Shaw & Deslauriers aren’t very valuable assets but they play their role just fine. Again, no way we’re taking all your dumpster fire players and fill all your hole/needs at the same time. Trading in the NHL simply doesn’t work that way

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
no thanks to weber. this new regime has a plan and part of that plan is avoiding big long term expensive deals. why would they go backwards and trade for weber who's on a worse contract than most guys in this league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad