Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
No? Not at all?

Asking for cap parity and then being fine with a systemic Advantage in this artificial system is hypocritical.

It was cap parity when the Lightning sucked. Now when they are competitive its a systemic advantage. Leaf fans flip back and forth on this stuff and its not even debatable that it isnt happening. Whatever makes their team look great is the answer to leaf fans.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It was cap parity when the Lightning sucked. Now when they are competitive its a systemic advantage. Leaf fans flip back and forth on this stuff and its not even debatable that it isnt happening. Whatever makes their team look great is the answer to leaf fans.

Huh? The tax system is a systemic advantage WITHIN. An artificially imposed system to create parity.

Tax laws don’t change to appease leaf fans.

Just bizarre

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Huh? The tax system is a systemic advantage WITHIN. An artificially imposed system to create parity.

Tax laws don’t change to appease leaf fans.

Just bizarre

Im saying nobody talked about this when the Lightning sucked. It was only when the Lightning became a good team and when Stamkos didnt sign in Toronto that Toronto fans started crying about taxes. People should be complaining about our players. Not the taxes. Why arent other teams with tax advantages doing it? Because they arent being talked into taking less for the better of the team. This whole talk has been about whether Dubas overpaid Marner and then when Point signs for less ohhh taxes!! Lets just get one thing right here. TB has done an amazing job getting their guys to sign for less and its not about taxes. Its about creating a winning culture. Dubas failed to do this with his team and leaf fans are just blaming taxes. Its wrong and im tired of the flip flopping. Its embarrassing.

Reactions: kris

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

The cap as it is currently is a bit messed up. There's the tax issues, the fact that Toronto is technically paying for part of Ottawa's team due to signing bonuses they paid before trading. The LTIR issue where teams like Toronto can just buy dead cap space.

It established salary control for the owners, but it's filled with loopholes.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The cap as it is currently is a bit messed up. There's the tax issues, the fact that Toronto is technically paying for part of Ottawa's team due to signing bonuses they paid before trading. The LTIR issue where teams like Toronto can just buy dead cap space.

It established salary control for the owners, but it's filled with loopholes.

And I think what people are pointing out in this thread is that Dubas failed to use what they have at their disposal to help them get guys down on AVV. Thats the whole thing but some leaf fans refuse to believe that their almighty gm did a poor job negotiating. Its like they cant even admit when something is wrong about their team. Its amazing!!

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Im saying nobody talked about this when the Lightning sucked. It was only when the Lightning became a good team and when Stamkos didnt sign in Toronto that Toronto fans started crying about taxes. People should be complaining about our players. Not the taxes. Why arent other teams with tax advantages doing it? Because they arent being talked into taking less for the better of the team. This whole talk has been about whether Dubas overpaid Marner and then when Point signs for less ohhh taxes!! Lets just get one thing right here. TB has done an amazing job getting their guys to sign for less and its not about taxes. Its about creating a winning culture. Dubas failed to do this with his team and leaf fans are just blaming taxes. Its wrong and im tired of the flip flopping. Its embarrassing.

Your opinion of what people talked about is what matters here? You do realize this has been talked
About by leafs fans dating back to Kessel right?

Your lack awareness of an issue does not mean it doesn’t exist. And when an issue comes out as public knowledge it doesn’t mean it hasn’t been an issue in the past...

This is embarrassing

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
And I think what people are pointing out in this thread is that Dubas failed to use what they have at their disposal to help them get guys down on AVV. Thats the whole thing but some leaf fans refuse to believe that their almighty gm did a poor job negotiating. Its like they cant even admit when something is wrong about their team. Its amazing!!

Have you been to the Leafs board? We find problems with every aspect of the team and organization all the time. We have a large amount of fans here, including some people who seem more interested in being caricatures of fans it seems than actually liking hockey. You'll find an opinion some good, some bad most in between on pretty much any topic.

I said he overpaid, that doesn't mean I think it's crippling. I'd rather pay Matthews and Marner more than paying journeymen to fill out the bottom pair and bottom 6. This board is very polarized everything has to be the best move ever or the worst decision. Most of the moves good and bad tend to balance each other out.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

Give your head a shake bud! And don't paint everyone with the same brush better yet remember these so called Leaf fans you are referring to aren't Leaf fans.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
So what about players who play in Canada but live in the US? Shouldn't they be taking a very similar discount? Why don't they?

No because they'll need a premium to have to own a second residence away from home.

People say **** like this to us all the time.

Don't cry on my shoulder.

If you want to believe that giving 41% of your cap to three players is "optimizing it," well, Dubas can just do no wrong in your eyes. I'm not saying he screwed the team up. I'm just saying there's no way to look at those contracts and think he did a good job negotiating them.

It's much better spent than overpaying replacement level players who've won cups, which is what the majority of the other teams do. Turns out the players who had the least PP time are on "terrible contracts", go figure what a coincidence.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No because they'll need a premium to have to own a second residence away from home.

Don't cry on my shoulder.

It's much better spent than overpaying replacement level players who've won cups, which is what the majority of the other teams do. Turns out the players who had the least PP time are on "terrible contracts", go figure what a coincidence.

Translation: "Yeah, BUT THAT OTHER TEAM IS WORSE!!!!"

How about doing neither?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

How about doing neither?

It would be easier to do with a 15% built in tax
Advantage.

I will wait for you to compare tax experts to big foot.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

How about doing neither?
300px-My_Goodness_What_an_Idea.jpg

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Im saying just because you are popular doesnt mean you are entitled to spend on endorsements and at the same time can shame other markets for the good things about them. Its hypocritical and Im saying you are entitled because you are saying Toronto should have the advantage while others should not. TB doesnt have the same endorsements because they have been a team since 92 and are in FL where its not a very popular sport. Your in Canada where its a huge sport. I expect you guys to have that advantage but just that doesnt mean TB cant have what they naturally have too. Its not like they decide that they have this marginal tax advantage. They just take advantage of what is at their disposal and so is Toronto with their endorsements. All im saying is if they can have the endorsments TB can have the tax advantage. These are factors of where they are and its not really the teams that decide this. Its natural state of things.

One is because of being a popular hockey city while the other one is a measurable math advantage that basically makes one teams money worth more than the others in a system where we have a cap.

Reactions: TML1990

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
One is because of being a popular hockey city while the other one is a measurable math advantage that basically makes one teams money worth more than the others in a system where we have a cap.

My point is that they can use things at their disposal to help overcome the marginal advantage TB has with taxes. Am I wrong with that statement? So the question is why didnt Dubas negotiate a better deal when money clearly isnt an issue for these guys getting endorsements. If I was the GM for Toronto I would be using that as a way to stay competitive and keep costs down so we could bring in other players. Again, nobody should be mad at TB for doing what they do. Toronto can negotiate better deals for their players. SOME (I know its not all of you guys) Toronto fans are having trouble admitting this.

Reactions: DFC

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
That's one long endorsement list. NO WONDER HE GAVE TORONTO A CRAZY HOME TOWN DISCOUNT. The endorsements make up the rest. Huge advantage in TO.

Or maybe some of those endorsement deals is Marner just wanting to be the face and he actually pays them lol. Then he had to make it up on his contract.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Goal scoring is more important. 5v5 they're comparable in goal scoring, but on the PP Marner's primary production more than outweighs Point's edge in goal scoring.

It's cute how you appeal to main boards thoughts about Leafs players in a poll, it's like your little safe space.

Out of curiosity how much primary pp production is required to make up a goal scoring differential?

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I saw the signing on the news at work, and was excited to read about it on hf when I got home.

Now all I get to read about is Dubas Marner Matthews and the leafs as per usual on this shitty site

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I saw the signing on the news at work, and was excited to read about it on hf when I got home.

Now all I get to read about is Dubas Marner Matthews and the leafs as per usual on this ****ty site
You just heard about Marner being resigned today? Its been close to a month now.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Oh yeah then your comment makes more sense lol.
Had to catch up on the Laine thread. You can guess whats going on there. Basically any hf thread drifts onto bashing the leafs at about page 10 or so. Oh well, guess my comment doesnt look as silly now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia