Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Leaf fans should be happy

Even if you feel Matthews/Marner combined are overpaid by 2-4M$ AAV - you're better off spending that money on them than on someone like Zaitsev or Lucic.

Paying top $$ to your top players is never really a bad thing. Its bad contracts to bad players that are an issue

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
@Rielly4 , nope... my numbers are correct. For the 2020-21 season the Leafs have 11 forwards under contract for a total of $55,126,866. If you look it up in CapFriendly (Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps) you will see that I'm correct (don't forget to include Zach Hyman @ $2.25M).
As to your comment about the Leafs paying 13 forwards $55M this season, you are incorrect. In fact, they are paying 14 fwds $57.5M (again, don't forget to include Zach Hyman who will come off IR in November) plus they are paying Phil Kessel $1.2M so in fact they are paying 14 fwds $58.7M.

Anyways, back to your comment about re-signing Barrie for $8M, Ceci for $4M, and Dermott for $4M in 2020 (personally I doubt you'll get a 26 year old UFA Ceci for $4m as he's making $4.5M now but I think you will be able to sign Dermott for less than $4M... but then again who knows... what with what Dubas is paying RFAs these days... lets just call it a wash and assume you are correct and the Leafs can get those 3 players for $16M)... for the 2020-21 season the Leafs have 13 players under contract for $66.3M (again, look it up in CapFriendly if you don't believe me) and adding Barrie/Ceci/Dermott at another $16M brings the total $$ amount to $82.3M.

I think I'm being generous is assigning a 2020-21 salary cap of $84M as by all reports the cap increase will likely be the same as it was this year... but lets go with $84m (I'll be very very surprised if its higher). At a cap of $84M that leaves the Leafs $1.7M to sign another 4 players to meet a minimum 20 player roster. Impossible without some very fancy foot work by Dubas which would have to include a significant salary dump.

As for playing the season with a 20 player roster with zero salary cap cushion... that's shear stupidity. Any short term injuries or illness and the Leafs are f***ed.... and god forbid one of those injuries is to one of the 6 defenseman.... I assume that in the 20 player roster that they would have 6 d-men?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It was a long, emotional process, but it feels amazing to have the best young core in hockey locked up.

This will probably be the best Leaf team many of us will have ever seen, and I couldn't be more excited!
Enjoy it while it lasts. Next year will likely be a different story when the Leafs lose that $13.633M LTIR which currently is allowing the Leafs to exceed the cap limit this year by $13.3M
It doesn't look good for the Leafs next year with only 13 players under contract for $66.3M thus leaving (assuming a max salary cap of $84M... god help the Leafs if its less) Dubas with only $17.7M to sign another 7-10 players of which two of those will be Barrie and Ceci.
I look forward to the tap dance and salary dump that Dubas will be forced to do just to meet a 20 player roster and stay under the salary cap next year... and still likely ending up with a zero cap cushion which isn't good if the team sustains any short term injuries.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Enjoy it while it lasts.
I will! There's absolutely no reason it won't last a long long time.

Next year will likely be a different story when the Leafs lose that $13.633M LTIR which currently is allowing the Leafs to exceed the cap limit this year by $13.3M
They lose the LTIR because they lose the contracts causing the LTIR. This makes no difference other than increased flexibility.

It doesn't look good for the Leafs next year with only 13 players under contract for $66.3M thus leaving (assuming a max salary cap of $84M... god help the Leafs if its less) Dubas with only $17.7M to sign another 7-10 players of which two of those will be Barrie and Ceci.
This has been explained a billion times.

It's highly unlikely Ceci will be re-signed. Neither will Muzzin (really the only loss).
Barrie is likely re-signed. Dermott is likely re-signed to a bridge and takes the 2nd pairing LHD spot. Sandin and Liljegren will be more than ready for at least bottom-pairing responsibility.
They will be perfectly fine.

I look forward to the tap dance and salary dump that Dubas will be forced to do just to meet a 20 player roster and stay under the salary cap next year...
No salary dumps necessary.

Even if they do want to move somebody in the next couple years, all of their contracts carry positive value. It's a great time to be a Leaf fan.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
A win for Leafs fans, and for the rest of us, who get to stop hearing about it.

You won't. The hf plan was this going to Dec 1 for the lulz. A lot of folks are going though the stages of grief. Acceptance is a few weeks off. A lot was invested in Marner being amazing when he was unsigned, signing an offersheet screwing leafs.. All that needs to be undone now. Few weeks and >>>>Marner ainec (that's when acceptance has set in to hf)

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
A win for Leafs fans, and for the rest of us, who get to stop hearing about it.
When it comes to the leafs these things will never stop. People will still talk about how Dubas over payed. Now people will talk about how they will fit their players in when dermott and Hyman come back. And the off-season about how they can get the defence signed.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
This has been explained a billion times.

It's highly unlikely Ceci will be re-signed. Neither will Muzzin (really the only loss).
Barrie is likely re-signed. Dermott is likely re-signed to a bridge and takes the 2nd pairing LHD spot. Sandin and Liljegren will be more than ready for at least bottom-pairing responsibility.
I think Dubas will take care of the defence next year but I don’t think it’s as easy you think it is. I don’t think it would be smart to rely on both Sandin and Liljegren to be the bottom pairing. They have to earn those spots. Relying on them puts more pressure on the top 4 to eat more minutes. Plus if you let Muzzin walk you have to replace him with another top 4 defenceman.

Reactions: wavaxa2

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Matthews and Marner are scum bags for not taking any sort of discounts. But credit to Dubas for keeping all of these young talented players, even if he drastically overpaid. We will see if the top-heavy lineup can win.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Enjoy it while it lasts. Next year will likely be a different story when the Leafs lose that $13.633M LTIR which currently is allowing the Leafs to exceed the cap limit this year by $13.3M
I look forward to the tap dance and salary dump that Dubas will be forced to do just to meet a 20 player roster and stay under the salary cap next year... and still likely ending up with a zero cap cushion which isn't good if the team sustains any short term injuries.

Why would you even worry about this? The core is locked in, Rielly and Andersen aren’t up next year.

You’re worrying about ELC players and role players rotating into the lineup and maybe bringing in 1 or 2 defensemen.

Players like Ennis, Spezza will still be around to fill in holes. The Marlies have a lot of talent chomping at the bit for a shot in the NHL. Why worry about the third tier players so much? Good teams rotate these players all the time. If the leafs were paying 6 million for 34yo role players I’d be concerned, paying for stars? That’s what the team should be doing.

Don’t worry about the cap, worry about what the Leafs are going to do on the ice in the next 5 years. A standard of winning will just make it even easier to fill the holes in the roster, and keeping players in the AHL until they are “over ready” served the red wings very well for years while their core stayed the same. Pittsburgh has some very well with a similar set of circumstances.

Reactions: garyturner3 and BHD

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don’t think it would be smart to rely on both Sandin and Liljegren to be the bottom pairing. They have to earn those spots. Relying on them puts more pressure on the top 4 to eat more minutes.
They are effective top pairing defensemen on a good Marlies team before most defensemen can even play in the AHL. They are both probably ready for that responsibility right now, and I see Liljegren getting the call-up halfway through the year if not starting (he likely would have been up halfway through last year if not for the injury). Next year they should be more than ready unless one of them hits an absolute wall in development, which there are no signs of.

People somehow have this idea that the average bottom-pairing defensemen is better than they are.

Kivihalme is also another potential option. He's currently 24, has played in men's leagues, and looks promising.

Plus if you let Muzzin walk you have to replace him with another top 4 defenceman.
Dermott takes Muzzin's spot. We need to replace Ceci.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Matthews and Marner are scum bags for not taking any sort of discounts. But credit to Dubas for keeping all of these young talented players, even if he drastically overpaid. We will see if the top-heavy lineup can win.

I don't think Leafs fans realize how different this "every man for himself" culture they're building is from the rest of the league.

Reactions: Crabapple

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener

The Leafs are only exceeding the cap because of the players that are on it and count against the cap. So when they are gone, next season we wont need it.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
They are effective top pairing defensemen on a good Marlies team before most defensemen can even play in the AHL. They are both probably ready for that responsibility right now, and I see Liljegren getting the call-up halfway through the year if not starting (he likely would have been up halfway through last year if not for the injury). Next year they should be more than ready unless one of them hits an absolute wall in development, which there are no signs of.

People somehow have this idea that the average bottom-pairing defensemen is better than they are.

Kivihalme is also another potential option. He's currently 24, has played in men's leagues, and looks promising.

Dermott takes Muzzin's spot. We need to replace Ceci.
Come to think of it. I think Liljegren will probably be up this year for some significant games. I believe Sandin will stick with the marlies to be that top guy and eat as many minutes as he can. Which I believe he is doing anyways. So ya I think your fair in saying that these 2 are probably ready next year. They will have to come up anyways to show what they can do in the big league.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don't think Leafs fans realize how different this "every man for himself" culture they're building is from the rest of the league.
I don't think non-Leaf fans will ever accept that this is not reality.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

No salary dumps necessary./QUOTE]

Isn't Barrie's cap hit this year like $2.5? So you think that replacing Muzzin with a guy on an ELC (and those $ going to Barrie) isn't going to result in a drop off? Good luck with that.

And I agree that is likely to happen, bust can't think that losing Muzzin can be written off as "not a big deal".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino