Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Didn't Pittsburgh get bit really hard in the a... er, behind a couple years ago when they played most of the season right up against the cap, had a couple late season injuries on D, and couldn't fill in the way they'd have liked because of cap space? Any Pens fans willing to refresh my memory?

If Dubas wants to free up a bit more space, what is his most likely move?
In the Crosby era? I’ll take 3 cups in that era any day of the week.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, that’s a straw man argument if I’ve ever seen one. Market value on a 6-year term is around 9.5M for Marner.
No, it isn't the contract has been signed the market value turned out to be more 10.893. I had also speculated 9.5 but their is a whole thread in two parts.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not especially, no. Just happy it's over and everyone's locked up and we someone managed at the same time to improve the D slightly for at least the coming season. So yes, Marner and Matthews were somewhat overpaid but ./shrug, it is what it is at this point. Time to move forward with our new reality.
Well, looks like you will get a shot at a Cup. Nothing to growl at. With 31 teams and parity in league, not going to happen often.

Reactions: HR Pickens

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Majority of the team is locked up for a few years with 20+ million coming off next year. Use the money on the defence. Pretty sure Dubas is happy with where he’s at.
Not exactly. From Mirtle's article in The Athletic:

The Maple Leafs salary-cap situation is a bit of a mess right now, and it means they will likely be carrying a 20- or 21-man roster all season.
Their front office staff are feeling defeated, done in by another frustrating negotiation that went on too long and ultimately didn’t go their way.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Majority of the team is locked up for a few years with 20+ million coming off next year. Use the money on the defence. Pretty sure Dubas is happy with where he’s at.
You have 1 dman under contract for past this season. I have never seen anyone do this before.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Jesus it's already started. Spurgeon 7.575mil through ages 29-36.

This contract will lead to a lockout

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Not exactly. From Mirtle's article in The Athletic:

The Maple Leafs salary-cap situation is a bit of a mess right now, and it means they will likely be carrying a 20- or 21-man roster all season.
Their front office staff are feeling defeated, done in by another frustrating negotiation that went on too long and ultimately didn’t go their way.
No doubt it’s a tricky situation. I was actually referring to next year but I can see the mix up on my part. But the good thing is that the season hasn’t started yet. So let’s see where it’s at when the first game starts. Things can change over the next 3 weeks.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
You have 1 dman under contract for past this season. I have never seen anyone do this before.
That true, though of their current roster D men the leafs are likely only interested in retaining Dermott and Barrie. They will probably be leaning on having Liljegren and Sandin a cheap options for the next 3 and 2 years respectively.

Reactions: CatchyTune

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well stick around. You can watch Dubas fill in the defence next year with that 20+ million
Just to clarify, where's 20+ million coming from? I'm reading about 15 million on capfriendly. Is it just assuming about 5 million of growth in total cap?

Not that 20 million is really much when you have 10-11 players to sign though. It's actually pretty tight. Leafs have a good team, but they better hope this group can get it done because bringing in additional help on defense, or stronger depth, will be really difficult.

Reactions: Brass Bonanza

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
And relative to what the market has always been for wingers of his caliber, that is extremely high.
Sure, and I have to admit that not all markets are the same, not even in the NHL, but it is not new information regarding Marner. You have been in every part of Marner and these have been posted several times: Report: NHL's Restricted Free Agents waiting for Mitch Marner to set the market
Report: Agents waiting for Marner's deal to set RFA market
My personal feeling is that comparables and their influence on other players contract is blown way out of proportion, and that is individuals negotiate their own contracts independent of anyone else. But not in ignorance, they understand the market. I also think that each team has its own market and there is not one single NHL market- cost of living, taxes ECT are discussed ad nauseum on these board's.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
YOU SPENT THE LAST TWO MONTHS IN MARNER THREADS SAYING HE WAS TORONTO'S BEST PLAYER. MAKE UP YOUR MIND.

Um, what? I pretty consistently had Marner in this pay range on a 6-year term.

I don’t think that Marner will get more than Matthews, but I think he will get more than his market value. My guess is $10.616 on a 6 year term.

The argument that I made the entire time was that the market simply would not dictate Marner being paid as much less than Matthews as many of his fans suggested. I still said that Marner would be paid less than Matthews, but that it would be significantly more than people had predicted, and that an overpayment to a similar degree would have to be handed out. Everybody said I was way off for saying that, but it turned out to be spot on.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
That true, though of their current roster D men the leafs are likely only interested in retaining Dermott and Barrie. They will probably be leaning on having Liljegren and Sandin a cheap options for the next 3 and 2 years respectively.
Lock up Barrie, bridge Dermott, let Muzzin and Ceci walk, bring up Liljegren and Sandin, fill in the last spot with a cheap vet

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Um, what? I pretty consistently had Marner in this pay range on a 6-year term.

The argument that I made the entire time was that the market simply would not dictate Marner being paid as much less than Matthews as many of his fans suggested. I still said that Marner would be paid less than Matthews, but that it would be significantly more than people had predicted, and that an overpayment to a similar degree would have to be handed out. Everybody said I was way off for saying that, but it turned out to be spot on.
I have seen you use those numbers before. I was was a 9.5er. clearly I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad