Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs extend Kerfoot (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs have a little over 8M in cap space, and if he got offersheeted (which won't happen as it would have already) they also have 10% they can go up in the offseason to match. And all signs are pointing to a 3 year bridge deal.

I just can't believe people think Dubas signed these deals and forgot he still had Marner to sign lol. Do people think the Leafs FO is that incompetent?

Last edited by a moderator:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Kadri is obviously better than Kerfoot, no argument there.

But Kerfoot is also better than him defensively, something that will help the Leafs a ton.

He fits better into the 3rd spot than Kadri as well, because Kadri is used to being a #2.

Reactions: Adityase

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I cant understand how anyone could look at the deal, look at kerfoots comparables, and understand the leafs didnt have a 3rs line center caliber of player in the farm and say this deal sucks

Last edited by a moderator:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well he just isn't a solid defensive forward. Atleast he hasn't been for the Avs.

This is a major gamble by Dubas. Could pay off for him if Kerfoot has another gear that he will find with the Leafs that he did not yet with the Avs.
But if he doesn't, that deal could look pretty bad pretty soon and only make their cap crunch even worse down the line.

You can say many things about Dubas. But he certainly is showing balls this offseason. I am just mad that he did not do the same with the Matthews contract. Why 5 years at that AAV so easily?
Simple. Because long term would have been a higher AAV which clearlt does not fit under our cap structure.

Reactions: TML1990

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Kadri was making 4.5 for 3 more years. He was traded in part for cap savings. This contract defeats that purpose when Dubas signs Kerfoot at 3,5 x 4? 1M savings for a lesser Center, again on the smallish again side locked into a 4 year contract. I would not like it. Ouch. Leafs lose grit and a better center, and sign one that is only 1M less a cap hit. Not a good move.

Kadri wasn't trade for cap savings lol. That was Marleau, Zaitsev, and Brown. Kadri was traded for Barrie.

Although not surprising you say the Leafs should move money from F to D for years and then when it happens flip flop on your stance.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Kadri was making 4.5 for 3 more years. He was traded in part for cap savings. This contract defeats that purpose when Dubas signs Kerfoot at 3,5 x 4? 1M savings for a lesser Center, again on the smallish again side locked into a 4 year contract. I would not like it. Ouch. Leafs lose grit and a better center, and sign one that is only 1M less a cap hit. Not a good move.
I'm just glad the Avs were nice enough to chuck in a top pairing RD too while the leafs were dumping Kadri.....

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Avs fans going to come in here and down play him, but they should be quickly ignored.

He's been a solid player, and just a team whipping boy.

^Obviously context is important, but those are solid numbers for a solid defensive forward.

2vjr9qp.png

zssnyx.jpg

Yes... ignore the opinions of the people who have watched the guy play all 157 games so far. You post stats because I can guarantee you haven't seen even 10 of Kerfoots games, exactly why analytics are so completely useless without watching the games.

It will just make for some hilarious bumps in a year from now.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'd say the bigger problem here is the term, more so than the AAV. Not the end of the world by any means though.
Why is the term a problem?. Locks him up 24-28, prime years and should be a pretty damn easy contract to move if it doesnt work out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well he just isn't a solid defensive forward. Atleast he hasn't been for the Avs.

This is a major gamble by Dubas. Could pay off for him if Kerfoot has another gear that he will find with the Leafs that he did not yet with the Avs.
But if he doesn't, that deal could look pretty bad pretty soon and only make their cap crunch even worse down the line.

You can say many things about Dubas. But he certainly is showing balls this offseason. I am just mad that he did not do the same with the Matthews contract. Why 5 years at that AAV so easily?
Also a lot of Kerfoot's production comes on the PP. He will need to show another gear 5 v 5 to make this contract good.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

Dubas is a rookie GM. He can't be expected to be perfect and he will make mistakes. The thing is, he is learning from these mistakes and getting better as it goes on.

And his mistakes are still no where near as bad as several vet GM's such as Fenton, Lamoriello, Rutherford, Benning, Holland, etc

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
What's not to like about upgrading the right D massively at the cost of a slight downgrade but cheaper third line C?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Simple. Because long term would have been a higher AAV which clearlt does not fit under our cap structure.

Yeah I disagree with that. Matthews is not worth 13M on a longterm deal when half of it is RFA years. And Dubas should have atleast put up a bit of a fight.
IMO Matthews got exactly the AAV he should have gotten for a 7 year deal given his comparables. IMO Dubas screwed up here and he and all the other GMs with high profile RFAs are paying for it right now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad